Calling Bobcats?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Calling Bobcats?

Post by TedH »

A friend of mine has a small place where he reports seeing a bobcat(s) regularly. He's offered for me to come up and try and get one. I've called coyotes before, but never tried specifically for a bobcat. Anything different about calling a bobcat? Will a 22LR reliably kill one quickly assuming a well placed shot from a reasonable distance? My next step up would be a 223 and I think that would tear one up too bad.
NRA Life Member
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Calling Bobcats?

Post by rangerider7 »

Bobcats take their time coming to the call so your setup should be up to an hour. Rodent and bird calls seem to work better on bobcats but cottontail is pretty good too. It will be difficult to get a bobcat close enough for a 22LR but it can be done. I would use some type of decoy to keep the cat from looking at my location. If you don't have a decoy a feather on a string blowing in the wind will do fine. You can attach it to a part of a wire hanger stuck in the ground or tie it to a fence. They take a slow stop and look approach so be still and watchful and you most likely will have success.
"That'll Be The Day"
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I use my electronic coyote caller for bobcat and I use a .22 WMR minimum or a .223 . Neither of them damage a pelt. Yes, a .22LR will work but you've got to place the shot exactly to reliably/humanely bring a bobcat down. They are tough little animals.

Now if you're not after the pelts, anything will work -- .30-30, .30.06, .243, whatever. Keep in mind that it takes a bunch of pelts to make any real money.

Oh, don't be surprised if coyotes show up.

EDIT: The call I use the most on my coyote caller while hunting bobcat is the "wounded rabbit" call.

EDIT EDIT: Got rid of my .223 some time ago and now mostly use a 12ga Remington 870 Shotgun choked Extra Full with #2 shot. I also use Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote with "T" Shot. I don't save the pelts.
Last edited by Modoc ED on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ED
Yer never too old
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

While you could kill a bobcat with a 22lr, I would suggest going bigger. I use a 223 with a 55gr PSP on coyotes, that seems to be a good balance between hollow point explosiveness and fmj penetration. The PSP seems to do the job without too much fur damage. It could probably be argue that a coyote is a little tougher to kill that a bobcat, I know a 'yote can soak up some damage and keep on truckin'. The trick with bobcats is to give them a lot more time to come to the call (40-45 minutes as opposed to 20-25 for a coyote). They will slink in using every bit of cover they can, so they come in slower and will probably be very close by the time you will see them. Bird calls, and rodent sqeakers would probably be a good idea, instead of the standard rabbit distress calls, but probably not a requirement. If you're hunting in heavy cover you could also try a shotgun (for yotes or bobcats.) Whatever you do, have fun!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

CALLED ONE IN WITH A FAWN BLEET CALL I GOT
YEARS AGO...
BRINGS THE OWLS IN TOO
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

What the others said about time is the most important thing, they are wary creatures and will come to it with stealth.
I use a tape I have of a yellow bellied woodpecker, trouble is , it brings everything else.
Be absolutly still, the most likely scenario; will be one of the other critters you call, alerting the cat to your pesence.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

The idea is to get one with minimal damage to do a full body mount to go with my mountain lion mount. Guess I'll use the 223 and maybe load them down a little, more like a Hornet.
NRA Life Member
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Call them just like you do dogs. Keep your eyes open and watch your back they like to come up from behind you and then leave once they know what you are and you never even know they were there. And yes the .22 will do just fine they are thin skinned and have light bone structure. Time is the thing they dont charge in like coyotes.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

If it's legal (like it is in Texas) using a red-filtered spotlight on a moonless night along with the call is hard to beat.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Nothing at all wrong with .223, a good taxidermist can stitch up almost anything. I prefer a 12 gauge for all varmint calling in cover. Bird calls work well in areas where bobcats eat birds... I have had great luck with the smallest little distress calls, like a little mouse or rat distress. I like to only use a call just once or twice and wait maybe 40 minutes, just watching. Everytime I have seen bobcats it was not coming in, but just lounging waiting for me to call again. A flick of the ear or tail, the last bobcat I shot; I didnt see until it was less than 15 feet away and it yawned. I often wonder how many bobcats came in to my calls that saw me first and vanished.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Dr. Walker
I suspect I have seen far less than actually came in.
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

Here kitty! Here kitty, kitty! :lol: :D Sorry... I couldn't help myself. :twisted:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Really guys, you want a challenge; there it is.
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

I have twice called in bobcats with a fawn bleet call .Both times it has been in the early archery season . Don't know if they would respond this late in the year to a fawn call.
Most other distress calls for small animals work well .
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I have called a cat in once. I was trying for coyote and it wasn't legal to take it. But what amazed me is that it was not there, then it was. Never saw it move into the open. Stayed long enough to identify it, and it was gone again. Came to a injured rabbit call. I have found tracks in the area after a calling session, but don't know if they were there before I setup. Interestingly, most were behind, or off to one side, and usually somewhat or completly up wind. Sure wish I could hunt as well as a cat.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad