My 38-55 speaks

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
44LVR
Member Emeritus

My 38-55 speaks

Post by 44LVR »

Went out the back door this past Sunday morning armed with my trusty Marlin Cowboy in .38-55 and crossed my field and then into the heavy timber. Went in about 100 yards and darned if I didn't see a fresh track. Went on up my trail a bit farther and found a definately FRESH elk trail. Kept easing up the hill I was on and then pow, crash, something on the other side of the hill just out of sight took off running. I sprinted up the hill about 100 yards to the top and looking down through the timber below me I saw a cow elk standing there watching me at about 100 yards. I froze and waited. She took off running from my right to left. Another came from my right and took off after her and it was a calf elk. Remaining frozen I waited. Then another elk comes from my right and it had antlers! He was running flat out after the cow and calf and definately had 3 or more points on one side.

It was tough shooting through the thick timber and my first shot took him through the shoulders and didn't slow him down a bit. 2nd shot took him directly behind the shoulder and that slowed him a bit. A 3rd shot was also behind the shoulder and that stopped him. I waited a couple seconds and he toppled over backward. The closer I got to him the bigger he got. No ground shrinkage what so ever! My initial thought when I walked up to him was that he was the biggest elk I had ever seen, let alone killed. Counting the points to make sure I hadn't somehow been mistaken I found he was an even 5x5. A pretty nice bull. I called a bunch of friends and they came up and helped me drag it out to my field, about 250 yards, and we loaded it into the back of my truck so I could take it up to a friends shop. My 27th bull elk. His antlers measured 44" wide. His brow tines were 16" long. Not giant 'book' antlers, but very nice. My wife agreed we should mount this set, European style. I usually just throw them into the 'pile', but my wife helped with this one and throughly enjoyed the entire process. There is just something special about this bull.

My load was the RCBS 37-250 which weighs 278grs sized and lubed with GC in place. I use 31.5grs 3031 and I estimate the velocity out of the 24" barrel at about 1700fps. The shot that went through both shoulders actually stopped on the off side and darned if I didn't recover my 2nd cast bullet ever. I haven't measured it, but it looks to be expanded close to or over .60 caliber and still weighs 244.5grs. Pretty good performance for straight wheel weights, let alone a premium bullet!

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My 38-55 speaks

Post by mescalero1 »

That is just GREAT.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Holy cow or holy bull... elk, i guess. wonderful! am i jealous!?
i have killed caribou [running] the same way with my 38/55 but they are not as big as the elk of course, would love to have seen it.
great hunting and great shooting! congratulations!
cable
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That is awesome, but where are the pictures? :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you get a chance to post, it would be neat to see pictures of the bullet.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Congratulations on your kill and your shooting.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Great story. Love that Marlin CB .38-55. 1886.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I don't think you mentioned what state this was. But you are indeed a fortunate soul to have that kind of hunting in your back yard. The elk will be a nice thing to have in the freezer this winter for sure. Congrats.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

great story and congrads on your hunt.the 38/55 can do it :D .
makes you think about all the guys out their with the ultra short mags and if you don't have one your s.o.l in camp :lol: .
enjoy those steaks
pete
DAV life member.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

TedH wrote:That is awesome, but where are the pictures? :mrgreen:
+1 :D
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

When .38-55 speaks,...

elks listen!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

It is always good to hear good hunting stories that involve the 38-55, one of my favorite cartridges. Looks like it did very well. Congratulations on a successful hunt with a classic cartridge.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

YUM! Nice story!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:mrgreen:

I'd love to see photos but if you're at all like me you get so excited the camera is forgotten.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Congratulations on what sounds like a nice elk.
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

I have about a 1/2 dozen photos but I'm so computer illiterate I can't figure out how to post them. I'm still waiting for my wife to send me the photo's of the bullet I recovered, from her work computer. It is awesome performance from straight wheelweights!

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted: :D :lol: ...and ain't anybody so computer illiterate that can't figure out how to post pics with Hobie's fantastic tutorial! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

awesome, congrats!!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
kemosabi45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kemosabi45 »

Sweet..... Very Sweet.....I wish I was there......
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Good on ya!
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thats fantastic, I love to hear these hunting stories. Well done and thanks for proving again how you don't need 50,000 ft/lbs and 7000fps. More ain't better and enough is errr enough :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Ithink I am jealous of your back yard! :mrgreen:

George
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

What a great elk hunt, and great shooting! I sure hope you find a way to post pics! I'd love to see them!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Since I use 32 grains and a 260 in my 38-55 this explains why I have yet to recover one from a deer. This has been my expierence with the 38-55 a totaly reliable deer, elk or anything gun.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Good shooting!! Nothing wrong with the 38-55. If I can only get this week in, I'm off for 2 weeks of walking around looking for deer either with a 356 mod 94 or my front loader.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

Thanks for all the kind words, folks. I'm waiting for my wife to return from a conference and finish downloading pictures and then let HER figure out how to post them. I can't wait to see the bullet photo downloaded, it is a picture perfect example of what you want from a bullet.

George, you know pretty closely where I killed it, I think. And yes, my backyard is AWESOME!

Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

GREAT I love hearing stories about the 38-55 GOOD GOING :D
IM using the same load 31 grains of 30-31 with cast or Barnes 377 bullets they have worked great on two deer so far IM cant wait for a few more weeks to try them again !
Congrats :D
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great