marlin oct barrel 20" 44mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

marlin oct barrel 20" 44mag

Post by mickbr »

A friend told me about these, I hadnt heard of this config before- I see its got a 1:16 twist, not marlins normal 1:38". Any idea on what the barrels slug at and whether a brand new one would avoid the quality issues marlin had a while back?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: marlin oct barrel 20" 44mag

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't know if there ARE any 'brand new' ones...

Someone on here will likely know, though.

I've had reasonable success with Remlin-era Marlins of both 336 and 1894 designs, other than one had some minor fit/finish issues but functioned fine.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I could buy that in a heart-beat IF it passed the smell test. That could be one of the handiest and most practical saddle carbine around. If it could use the same ammo as the redhawk. That would be a terrific combo.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have one of those. An early 70s model....Pairs nicely with my 629PP (6.5 bbl with factory porting that really works well.)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Blaine wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:27 pm I have one of those. An early 70s model....Pairs nicely with my 629PP (6.5 bbl with factory porting that really works well.)
That's good equipment right there. I think it's too late for me to pursue that trail. . .
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

I have one from the 70's or 80's and it is a very nice saddle rifle---very nice to pack on a horse for sure. It's nicely made and shoots well, but only with lighter bullets---200's and some styles of 240's are good but Keith bullets---say 250's or heavier are erratic, especially with heavier charges. I only shoot cast bullets in mine, so I don't know about the jacketed styles.
My only issue with it is not being able to shoot heavier bullets----I sure would consider one of the new ones with a faster twist.