Sights, and Scopes, the joy in each!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Sights, and Scopes, the joy in each!

Post by Drawdown »

Guess I'm posting this cause its a beautiful cool spring morning, and I'm remembering. Our spring squirrel season opens this Saturday, and really, I've only taken advantage of it a few years, I kinda favor waiting till fall. But 2016 was the last time I did, and only did for 2 hunts then, but owe how sweet a time it turned out to be. I say sweet, because it was one of those times when I decided I'm gonna get into my zone. My shooting and hunting zone. Same thing, I'm sure you'll can understand!
I knew where some squirrels where, the weather was right, cool foggy mornings, clear and calm spring. Just like late sept by feel! A little piece of heaven on earth to a squirrel hunter!
I had by preparation already been practicing with my CZ 452 American, scoped with a Weaver 2.5-7x28, and shooting my long ago proven Winchester PowerPoint HP's.
To keep it as short as possible, everything came together. The squirrels where mostly in hickory, feeding on I guess the New growth of blooms? I'm certainly no expert on the subject. But it was just like Sept, them cutting hickory nuts, only difference they had to move a little faster.
I kept my scope on low power, shot almost entirely off-hand, just as planned, I was ready, being all too familiar of the frustration of feeling I had to depend on a rest, and knowing they wouldn't sit still long. Now I'm going by memory instead of checking my journal, but I killed I'm sure 5 on that first hunt, 6 being the limit, and only missed I believe 1 shot. Honestly, I try not to get greedy, and quit shooting on the 4th, because 4 is perfect for a good meal, and I hardly ever freeze them. I turn the kill into a Thank You Lord for the hunt and provision meal that evening or the next day!
Well as sweet as that first hunt was, the following sat was even better, I was still working then. But same woods, same conditions. But this hunt, they where still in the trees some, but on the ground a lot also. It thrower me a curve. And so much activity, I started off slow to pull the trigger, hesitant. I believe I missed a couple shots after having killed only one. But I got myself together then, focused! All the off-hand practice payed off to as good a shooting as I'm capable. THE ZONE!
And last shot taken, was a true grand finaly! Had to use a rest for the first time, but everything about it ill never forget! I was heading back to the truck, had 5 squirrels again, ready to call it a season. Walking up to little rounded ridge, I saw a squirrel plain as day shake a limb in a little tight bark, sit plain as day I know looking at me in the distance. It was farther than I'd ever tried, but I thought, I can kill him? I leaned standing against a tree, perfect rest, zoomed into 7x for the first time, could see him perfectly sitting tail folded over his head squared looking right at me. I held right on his black nose, squeezed. He fell like a wet dish rag at the report. I pulled out my lazer rangefinder, and checked it numerous times. 63 yds to the base of the tree, and am sure it was true, he being on the lowest limb of a small tree, the shot only slightly up hill.
When I picked him up, his nose was bloody, having hit him slightly above, dead between the eyes!
Thank You Lord for everything involved in times like these, so many things involved, I can't mention!
Well I guess I'm also remembering last fall. Because everything was so similar, including many hours of reloading and shooting, and I thought I had it all in place? But I got as pretty a shot opportunity with my 30-30 at what I think was the biggest buck I would have ever taken? A perfect broadside shot at 75 yds, off-hand, and at the report, the buck jumped straight up looked like 10 ft! Obvious good hit. So I thought! But never found the first trace of blood, and 2 days of searching, I give up.
This was the first and only deer I ever lost, and it still bothers me! Enough said for now! I'll get into more of it later!
Too good a day, and I'm thinking I'm gonna go reprove my 22, get ready. Just in case that feeling hits me again!
But which one, the scoped American? Or my most prized squirrel rifle ever, my CZ 452 Ultralux with open sights?
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: Sights, and Scopes, the joy in each!

Post by AmBraCol »

I'm planning to get in an early season hunt this year, it's been far too long. As for scope vs opens, you'll have to make up your mind on that one. The last time I went after squirrels specifically was the fall of '06 and my Ruger Single Six did me better that year than the scoped Mossberg did.

I think I only saw one gray that year, the place I was hunting was full of fox squirrels. This year I'm thinking of using the Boito .410 for old times sake, but will have the Single Six along in case the shot allows for its use.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I used to shoot Squirrels with CZ 452 but my son loved the rifle so much I let him steal it. :( I mostly use a .410 of some description as that is what I started out with 59 years ago. My Winchester 9422 with open sights is my main Squirrel rifle as my Magtech semi auto doesn't like the low velocity shells I use. I occasionally use my .177 air rifle with fiber optic sights for shots of about 30 yds from my bedroom window. Years ago I had a .22 revolver but had no luck with Squirrels :oops: did drop a fox with it once but handgun hunting over here was illegal even before they took away our handguns.
We have no bag limits or season for Grey Squirrels :D my son got a job as a professional Squirrel Trapper for a few years but now has switched to be a professional Mink trapper. I'd like to thank the USA for giving us two game animals that provide me and my son a tremendous amount of fun... :D
IMG_20200621_160529.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

GK, try a simple recipe for the squirrels. If you can get tortillas over there, clean and cut up the squirrels and simmer them in chicken or beef broth for several hours. When they become tender, bring the liquid up to a boil. Cut the tortillas into strips about an inch wide and 1 to inches long, and drop them in. Try to not stir it. Just make sure that the tortillas are covered in liquid. They will puff up a little. Cook about 10 minutes and serve. It is a simple version of Squirrel and Dumplings. Nice and warm on a cool day. If you like it, then we can make you an Honorary Southerner.
You can also use some type of fresh noodle.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:41 am I'd like to thank the USA for giving us two game animals that provide me and my son a tremendous amount of fun... :D
And we got Harry and whats-her-name...

What a lousy trade that was!!! :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

ABC, thats about the ultimate in shooting! I used to shoot a Model 19 S&W 357 a lot, but give it to my boy. I seriously thought of getting S&W 's 22 revolver just for squirrels. I believe it was either a Mod 17 or a K22, but I never did.

My favorite way of cooking my own squirrels for past several years is slow cooked in chicken broth until tender, drain mostly, then cover em in sweet barbecue sauce and just simmer few minutes. BBQ Squirrel Wings!

I shot the CZ American and its still dead on. I was worried because my last hunt with it last Oct, I took a short cut around a lake shore to keep from going through 75 yd Laurel thicket to get back to canoe. One place the laurels hung out over water, and I kinda shallow waded in my Muck boots, but one sloping rock about 8ft long was slicker than I thought. I went up to my neck, rifle under water and all. Bad scratch on barrel. I was afraid the scope was knocked off zero. I put it on in 2008, and its been thru the beatings, camping, canoeing, and lot of rough trails on 4W. I've only adjusted it couple clicks in all that time, but none needed today. I'm a Leopold man for sure, but for the money Weavers are hard to beat, and I know they're from China. I got a Weaver in the late 70's, I believe a V22, and this scope replaced it in 2008.

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Good pics everybody! GK, is that a Marlin Auto, Mod 60?

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Drawdown wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:47 pm Good pics everybody! GK, is that a Marlin Auto, Mod 60?
No it's a Magtech that Mossberg call the Plinkster but basically a knock-off of the Marlin.... :? A reliable little gun with HV or subsonic but I use CCI CB longs and CCI quiet for Squirrels to keep the bullets within the property where I shoot. The air rifle is a .177 Norica Thor, junior size but still knocks 'em down.
IMG_20200627_145814.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Old No7 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:19 pm
gamekeeper wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:41 am I'd like to thank the USA for giving us two game animals that provide me and my son a tremendous amount of fun... :D
And we got Harry and whats-her-name...

What a lousy trade that was!!! :wink:

Old No7
Darryl, I can only apologise for that dipstick Harry, I wouldn't wish him on anyone..... :oops: :oops: :oops: to keep on topic another departed Squirrel... :)
squirrels003.jpg
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

We don't have a squill season in WA, but, back in Indiana there were fox squills aplenty.
I have a WWII-ish Model 72 with the factory leaf sight that I can honestly say has never missed a squill....On the back part of Ft Benjamin Harrison, you had to beat em off with a stick so ya could shoot them. I didn't have to buy much meat in those broke old days in the Army. Lots of Squill and Channel Cat for meals in those days. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Blaine, I know all about Indiana. Had several friends that went there every year to squirrel hunt. Me, my brother, my dad, and couple other friends used to (in the 80's) go every year to Trimble Co Ky, hunt right on banks of Ohio R across from Madison Indiana. Fox squirrel heaven, and we loved it, 99% grays where I live.
That CZ Ultralux i mentioned is my all time favorite gun easily. My only regret about it is that I didn't acquire it younger in life! Its the only gun I ever gave a name, and it deserved it. It did make me a better hunting shot!
I called him "Ole Job". You've heard of the patience of Job? Well this rifle in my hands, if I patiently did my part, it never failed! The best open sights, for me anyways, in the woods i ever used.
The 29"barrel stocked on a beech stock which made it a little heavier, 14.25" LOP, I'm 6'3", and most all rifles are to short. I sighted it to hit the center of a 1.25" circle sitting right on the front sight, I believe at 20 yds, maybe 18yds i can't remember for sure. But the bullet would stay inside this circle out a little past 60yds, I believe 65yds.
Now I like scopes, open sights, receiver and tang sights. But for me, and all my life of verifying it, open sights are an advantage in the woods, out to over 100 yds. Until my eyes started failing me around 2015. Good open sights are more precise if you know how to use them. Lotta people excel with a peep, but they're not the precision answer for me. I've always done well with them on windage, but I string my shots up and down some, to much thought required to overcome this. My misses with open sights are smaller and in a small circle. Light differences are the big enemy of open sights, and make a big obvious difference, the only advantage on this going to a peep!
But when you grow up shooting open sights, gain confidence in them, they are a definite advantage to a hunter, again out to 100-125 yds!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

But to complete the truth, I did go to a Williams receiver sight on my favorite deer rifle, a Mod 64a Winchester, and I like it! I made a good shot the first year I hunted with it, 2019 on a 7pt, at 50 yds. That deer fell right there, from a 150gr Win PowerPoint. Last season I shot a fine buck at 75yds ranged, but I never found it. I know I hit him, he bowed up and jumped straight up. It was with my reloads using a 150gr Sierra FN @ average velocity of 2375fps. I did a lot of test with these, accuracy was outstanding, and out penetrated everything else I tried them against. I fear with the receiver sight, I hit him high, which I'm bad to do with it, and the bullet exited with little expansion? This is the first deer I've used these bullets on, having always used Win PP's or Rem Corlokt's. I'd not had to track a single deer with them!
I ran out couldn't get the Rems or Win PP, so I used the Sierra 's.
This year, I've already went to Hawks, and I'm getting good accuracy with the 170's, believe they'll be excellent killing bullet!
My Marlin is still got the open sight, which I filed the Buckhorn down flat, zeroed at 100 yds, and have a Marbles Tang sight on zeroed at 175yds, the rear barrel sight i can quickly fold flat. I've already killed several deer with it, a coyote and turkey. This sight arrangement is great for hunting! It shoots the Winchester Powermax Bonded and Hornady 160 FTX very accurate.
Lotta negative about the 30-30, but until last years deer, I honestly had not had to track a single deer, all died within easy sight from where I shot them! I like everything about hunting these mountains with a 30-30 and iron sights. A shot past 75yds is possible, but far and few between!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

I got to say again in case some are wondering? I did some decent penetration test with the Sierra Pro Hunter FN, and from what I've learned, they are accurate! But I think them a little too hard fro whitetails, but they'd be great for bear. I don't think I got much expansion. I didn't find a single trace of blood in a lot of looking. Maybe I hit the deer above the lungs,below the spine, IDK!!! If so, i got to think it exited!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"