Marlin dovetail blade front sight suggestion

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Marlin dovetail blade front sight suggestion

Post by 1894cfan »

I've been reading about some of the problems/bitches/moans and groans, etc. about Marlin blade front sights, and thought I'd pipe up and tell what I did with the front sight on my Marlin 1894cs.

I never did like the bead on the blade front sight, so I took my trusty dremel with a sanding disc and sanded the sides and top of the blade until it was flat on all sides and took the brass bead off, took it over to the local gunsmith and had them stuff some black epoxy putty in the hole and touch up the blueing. Now I got a black flat-topped front sight with no glare. Best thing I ever did for my favorite toy! 8)
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Sounds like a plan to me.
Simalarly, I have a little Savage .22 that has a fixed little sight on the end. It is a bead sight and I plan on shaving it down to a beveled top blade sight.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Brownell's still has the discontiued Marbles Sourdough sights. I put the tallest one, .650(?), on my 1894CL and it was almost the exact same height. They had 3 different sizes when I bought mine about 3 months ago. That may be the easiest solution.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Hi jdad,
I just wanted to go the cheapest/easiest/quickest route, matter of fact, I didn't even have to take the blade sight off the rifle to do this work.