The Good The Bad And The ugly

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

The Good The Bad And The ugly

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

I have a question? In the movie The Good The Bad and The Ugly, When the ugly made it across the desert to that trading post and starting swapping out parts of revolvers what revolver parts did he use to build his revolver of choice
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Good The Bad And The ugly

Post by mescalero1 »

1851 Navy ( I think)
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

I have an 1851 navy Colt ball and cap. and I do believe that was the frame he used, but it appeared that he used a cyclinder that used a cartridge (conversion kit).. I believe the barrel was a remington because it was round. I could be wrong. I have never swapped out a 1851 navy colt barrel for a remington barrel. Don't know if it would fit. Maybe someone could shead some light on it.
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

I am watching the movie at the time of this post and when the ugly was in the store the barrel was round. Now that bill Carson showed up on the stage in the desert The barrell has now became hex shaped like a normal 1851 navy. but he still has a covertable cyclinder to fire a standard cartridge.

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The 1861 Colt navy was identical to the 1851 Navy, with the exception of a round barrel instaed of octagon. The 1860 Army also had the round barrel. A Remington barrel wouldn't work, they were threaded into the frame, and were much different than Colts.

It's unlikely that you could actually do that much parts swapping and make a working gun, at least not one that was better than what you started off with.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Guess thats hollywood for ya,,,

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Marlin 308MX
Levergunner

Post by Marlin 308MX »

Anything is possible in the movies, like 6 shot Colts that shoot 10 or 12 shots before reloading!! LOL!! Art
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i grew up watching that movie, because of it i had an interest in the blackpowder conversion handguns. it may or maynot be period historically accurate, but for the time it was a cool movie. i'm to this day, on the lookout for a reasonably priced repro 1860 colt in .38 special.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Y'all might remember that Buck on the High Chaparral series built a revolver from an assortment of parts guns. Seems to be a standard.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

It was in the script. The parts he was swapping around were on a percussion gun but for the rest of the movie he used a cartridge conversion. Back then, cartridge conversions had to be done either by the factory or a gunsmith and there was quite a bit of work involved. There were no drop-in cylinders like are offered today.

Technically, since this was at the end of the war, there were no cartridge conversions yet available. Especially on Colt's. Those didn't come around until 1869 when S&W's Rollin White patent expired.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Gents,

I think UBERTI supplied the guns for a bunch of those Spaghetti Westerns. That may explain some of the "interchangeability". :!:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Yep - all for effect. In the end scene you distinctly see percussion caps on the guns, yet all along they supposedly fire cartridges. Hollywood just assumes that only a tiny fraction of the public will catch their firearm-related mistakes - and even lesser fraction cares! :roll:
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

Watching TV is funny to me when it comes to firearms. I watched a guy on TV the other night put 15 rounds through a 1911 with absolutely no muzzle flip in rapid fire while shooting with his left hand but sighting with his right eye. I am not making this up, I watched it. Tom.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Technically, since this was at the end of the war, there were no cartridge conversions yet available. Especially on Colt's. Those didn't come around until 1869 when S&W's Rollin White patent expired.
Thank you for reminding me when that happened. There have been scores of movies in which conversions and even Colt's 73s are being used (and everybody had one) right after the war. Even Selleck's Sabre River.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

it was a pantent imfringement for a company to produce a drilled through cylinder. a good gunsmith could produce one though. i think the .44 henry flat came out in 1858? so it possibly could have been realistic. :?: