#$#%&%$@# UPS!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

#$#%&%$@# UPS!!!

Post by 2ndovc »

Got a call from the fellow I sent a Model 88 Winchester to yesterday.

Even packed in a hard plastic case those twinkies managed to split the stock all the way through on the left side.
Now this thing was in near new, almost perfect condition and now it's ruined.

Lousy photo but it's obviously broken.

As far as I know getting a new original stock is going is going to be next to impossible to find. As far as I'm concerned the collector value is shot and they owe me the $650 I had it insured for. About all it's good for now is parts unless someone had a perfect condition Model 88 stock lying around!

I've just started the claim process but they also want a letter from a "Professional" backing up my claim of what it's worth.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for that?

Really makes me made that people can treat other's belongings that way.

Anyone have any experience with UPS and damage claims?

jb
Last edited by 2ndovc on Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: #$#%&%$@# UPS!!!

Post by Pete44ru »

If you have a friend that's a lawyer, a notice to them (on his letterhead) demanding payment, noting that they (UPS) agreed to the $650 insurance, would put the burden on them.

Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Pete44ru wrote:If you have a friend that's a lawyer, a notice to them (on his letterhead) demanding payment, noting that they (UPS) agreed to the $650 insurance, would put the burden on them.

Yeah, you paid the insurance fee to get the insurance. I know it's not exactly air-tight, but you can hold them to it.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I feel your pain and anger. I specify USPS Priority Mail and will pay the extra, to avoid Usually Pieces Scattered.

You're dealing with UPS's third party insurance company. The first thing they will say is, "insufficient packaging", to get you to give up......don't give up!
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Never ship long, skinny, gun-looking packages.

I shipped the Kids's Ranch Rifle to Joe in a plain carboard box that a 32" bit of computer hardware came in. I took the stock off and packed it beside the reciever/barrel.

Shorter, stiffer, less likely to be abused by a gun-hating flunky, less likely to be stolen by a gon-loving crook, etc.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
levers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by levers »

Maybe get someone with a C&R license to write a letter and attach their license to it to show their expertise. Maybe that would be enough. Some pre-break pictures would probably help too. You could get some info from Gunbroker on what similar guns sold for too.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

levers wrote:Maybe get someone with a C&R license to write a letter and attach their license to it to show their expertise. Maybe that would be enough. Some pre-break pictures would probably help too. You could get some info from Gunbroker on what similar guns sold for too.

Kinda the way I was heading. My attorney is to busy to mess around with something like this. I know he'd do it if I asked but I don't want to bother him with a $650 claim.
I do have some before photos.

I've shiped dozens of long guns around the country over the years and never had a problem. Guess there's a first time for everything.

Love to have a minute with the guy that did it. :evil:

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Sorry man. :cry:
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

I've had to make a claim to UPS for a collectible rifle whose stock they cracked. Be prepared for them to turn it down the first time. It seems they always do. They'll claim it was improperly packed, if nothing else.

In my case, I had a friend of mine who collects the same type of rifle write a letter as to the value of the gun on his letterhead. That worked. They eventually paid almost the full insured amount. Be prepared, though, for them to say they will keep the rifle if they pay the full insured amount. At that point, it will probably be destroyed. I got around that with a partial reimbursement and sold the rifle for its parts value to get the rest of my money back.

Best of luck. I am afraid you are in for a couple months of hair-pulling, if your experience with getting them to pay is typical.
.........THE TWINS..........

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

If the action/barrel is still servicable then IMO what you need to do is find an 88 stock that costs $650 - but don't give them the gun. (I don't see how they can take it anyway - not without a 4473...)

Give them the broken stock and nothing more.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

This sucks. :evil:

Write the letter for your attorney, asking him to put it on his letterhead and mail it off. He may not, but there is a good chance that he might if you know him well, have used his services before, and write a reasonable letter.

As noted, be prepared to be denied more than once but don't give up. Bottom line - they are wrong; you are right!
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Old Ironsights wrote:If the action/barrel is still servicable then IMO what you need to do is find an 88 stock that costs $650 - but don't give them the gun. (I don't see how they can take it anyway - not without a 4473...)

Give them the broken stock and nothing more.

That is a good point, OI. As for them taking it away, nothing says they will, but the fine print in their insurance says they can take the damaged goods on a fully-paid claim. I just wanted that out in the open rather than someone getting blind-sided by it.
.........THE TWINS..........

CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Last summer I ordered a Lyman Trade Rifle for Dad to use during hunting season. Well, the rifle got here just fine but the other $200 worth of stuff was gone. Including the last Lyman peep sight they had for about eight months. Midway filed the claim and reshipped everything that was lost and backordered the rest. I also had a package this past spring that looked like somebody just stomped on it. They truly suck but at least they don't leave packages containing books hanging on the front of my mail box for the rain to get.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

PM Me
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

that sucks
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Sorry about your loss J. I have heard of so many horror stories about UPS that I will not even entertain them any more. In the past I have had them leave guns on my front door step! Big time irresponsible. I only ship or receive through USPS priority, insured. Best of Luck. 1886.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jason,
I am a firm believer that some people are alive simply because its illegal to kill them. You just have to believe it was most likely done by some jerk on purpose. If I was in your shoes, I would get the most amount of bucks you can get while still keeping the rifle---then I would do one of three things.

#1---Fix the stock. It can be done fairly easily with little detection noticed. It will still sell for 4-5 c-notes at most better gunshows.

#2---There are stocks out there. It just takes time to run across one.

#3---Wait until you see another Model 88 thats been drilled and tapped all over the place but has a nice stock. Swap the stocks and resale both of them.

I always run across these kind of things here in S.E Pa. but that me and I'm always around lots of guns.---------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

dsmith512
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dsmith512 »

Man that sucks. However you can get a Winchester 88 stock from here:

http://www.gun-parts.com/winchesterstocks/

Granted it is not your original but could be made to look nice. They have several varieties including walnut and laminates.

Here's what they have
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I went thru the same thing with UPS, albeit it was for something else. The total the buyer paid was $800 which is what I insured it for.

UPS asked me to show proof of value and I presented them with the auction ending price, as well as the auction price of several more.

Then I showed them the Manufacturer's retail price for the item. (more than double the insured value)

Within 3 days they cut me a check for the $800 as well as refunded the shipping/ins cost.

Funny thing is, last week I shipped a Win94 Trapper via US Postal Priority to Pennsylvania for refinishing.

I just put it inside a gunsock, tightly folded 3 layers of 1/3" thick cardboard around it and insured it for $400.

They received it in 2 days in perfect shape.

Anyway, just find current auction/retail prices from Cabelas, Fugates, or other places and print them out. I'm certain you'll find them for close to, or more than, what you insured it for.

I just checked Gunbroker and there are many completed auctions right at and well above $650.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Guys!!

I'll do all of the above and try to keep the gun as well.

Just makes me angry that this rifle was almost perfect and almost 40 years old.

jb

Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

Yep, USP and FEDEX are both nightmares. I deal in guitars and broken wood is common with those two services. I've had my best luck with USPS. Of course, that doesn't help when it come to rifles. I photograph all packaging steps before shipping. Pictures are good evidence that you didn't "pack a broken item". When dealing with claims, they will try anything.

Good luck!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Old Ironsights wrote:If the action/barrel is still servicable then IMO what you need to do is find an 88 stock that costs $650 - but don't give them the gun. (I don't see how they can take it anyway - not without a 4473...)
If they tried to keep the whole rifle without it being transferred, I bet it would make for an interesting conversation with an ATF investegator...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at