Interesting front sight-what do y'all think?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
M92nut
Levergunner

Interesting front sight-what do y'all think?

Post by M92nut »

I should first say hello-I was known as "SRCJAHC" on the original forum (R.I.P.) and finally made the move over here. Anyways, I saw an intersting front sight on Midway USA made by a company called KNS Precision. It has crosshairs installed in the front sight. Even more interesting is the review posted by a Rossi M92 owner who installed one with a tang-peep for "long-range" shooting and apparently loves it. I have installed XS Sights just forward of the locking bolts on two .357 Rossi L/A and am thinking of installing this on the front dovetail that I had milled and where an XS front post currently resides. If I was able to have the rear ghost ring form a ring around the front sight housing with just a sliver of light between the two I think it would make a dandy sight combination. Then again it might turn out to be impractical and not work as intended. Here's the link:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005

What do you guys think?
paulyseggs
Levergunner

Post by paulyseggs »

I have a similar setup on my 54cal Hawken rifle. Rear peep, front globe with adjustable inserts. I like it. works good for me.
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

Whit my 64+ year old eyes I am afraid I would not be able to see the crosshairs.If you can I can see that it would work . Doug
a armed man is his own master
Mojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mojo »

Hmmmmm, I bet that would work really well with a peep or ghost ring set-up. It would be similar to the Mojo (no relation) double aperture sight system used on military surplus rifles with the added benefit of crosshairs. I'm betting it would work great with a One Ragged Hole rear sight or a Williams WGRS. I'm just not too sure how practical it would be in a low light hunting situation or against a dark target.
If you can see the big picture, you are not focusing on your front sight.
M92nut
Levergunner

Post by M92nut »

Cannonsix-you might find this interesting. Another gentleman with similiar eyesight problems bought the KNS front sight and wrote a lengthy review. I think you might find it interesting.

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:i8 ... cd=1&gl=us
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

M92nut, thanks for a great read.I may have to rethink my position . :shock: again thanks Doug
a armed man is his own master
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Lyman has a front peep with a changeable sight ranging from a clear yellow disc with a hole on the middle of it, to posts, bullseyes, and a couple others.
I use the post up front, with a Lyman rear peep for "sport". The ther that came with it is a "target" aperture, and is a little small for hunting.

I like theses sights, but have to admit: the fiberoptic sights that came on my TC Black Diamond muzzle loader are far superior in the commonly not-so-optimal lighting conditions afield.

I can still kill deer with the peeps, but when my eyesight goes, it might be fiber optic for me.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Very interesting.... sort of a mini globe sight....or a large diameter aperture insert for a globe with cross hairs...

I have a cross hair globe sight insert that I've never bothered to try on the assumption that I wouldn't be able to see it.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome back! :D

A bunch of people must have liked it a lot - it's not available at the moment! :wink:
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I don't know how well I would like it because I get picky about "crowding" the target. I prefer a simple post sight.

Mojo, I almost bought a set of Mojo sights for my M44 Mosin but decided against it. I beveled the post on it and it works/looks much better now.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog