M-1 Carbine shootoff: Ike, Churchill, Bradley

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

M-1 Carbine shootoff: Ike, Churchill, Bradley

Post by Bill in Oregon »

How about this boys and girls? Pretty darned cool stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AJ5FKO-VbE&t=1s
JimT
Shootist

Re: M-1 Carbine shootoff: Ike, Churchill, Bradley

Post by JimT »

I wish they had published the results. More than likely one or more of our Generals may have embarrassed themselves.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Good stuff, Bill!

Interesting that Montgomery carried a carbine through the war.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Churchill must have won the competition as it was said he had the most experience and he was the closest at only 25 yards. It's hard to say who chose the distances at which each shot but since Bradley shot at 75 yards he may have been the one expected to do the best. Heck, I don't know but it's fun to speculate.

I still love the alleged exchange between Churchill and a woman who accused him of being drunk. He supposedly said, "Madam, I may be drunk but in the morning I shall be sober but you will still be ugly".
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Walt, certainly Churchill lived a fascinating life. As an officer with the 21st Lancers at the Battle of Omdurman, he is alleged to have killed seven Dervishes from horseback with his Mauser C-96. I couldn't help myself and ordered a copy of his "River War, an Account of the Reconquest of the Soudan." Churchill, Baden-Powell, Burnham, Roosevelt -- men of honor from an age we'll not see again.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Bill, you had said that you'd ordered a copy of Elliott Barker's "80 Years with Rod and Rifle". Have you had a chance to read it?

I have 8 or 9 books by Roosevelt. When I want to read something told plainly and sensibly, I read from one of his books. Truly a man of honor.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Walt, yes, Ordered, read it and forwarded to an elderly vet friend in Pueblo. 8) Probably about time for me to re-read "Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail." Someday I'd like to visit Roosevelt National Park up North Dakota way.