Ok so, lever actions in 50AE

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Ok so, lever actions in 50AE

Post by mickbr »

I know its probably not in the category of rounds easy or sensible to fit in a lever action, but I bet someone out there has done or can do it. Or maybe it cant be with that rebated rim? case rim is the same as 44 mag if that helps. I know bighorn does the 500SW and 500 linebaugh but quite a bit bigger cases, a little less able to play with light powders. And I'm laying about with a bad knee at the monent so thats what Im blaming this fever dream on, maybe I should just be surfing funny cat videos..
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Re: Ok so, lever actions in 50AE

Post by 4t5 »

Maybe a box fed design like the browning blr , or the new Henry supreme could do it.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm sure a good smith and deep pockets on your part could make it work. Could be easy or it could become a money pit trying to get it 'right '. I'd go the Big Horn route just because all the head scratching development work has been done. Maybe they would be a good place to start.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

If you had a 44 mag Marlin, you could check and see if the 50 ae round would fit in the mag tube. If not, then you would probably have to go the 336 route and I think of the 336-44 guns and IIRC, they had feeding issues with the short rounds. Then you would have to check barrel diameter at the chamber end, knowing if you had enough metal to take out of the barrel to have a thick enough barrel, where the threads are, since you are taking out another roughly .090" of metal from the chamber end. Might be too thin to have an adequate safety margin.
Would be an interesting project. I know a fellow that made uppers for the AR15, in 50ae, that worked well.

Did some checking on the 336 barrel. Major threads .780" and minor .722", so .722 less .543" 50ae case dia.= .179" and divided by two, gives you .090" thickness over the barrel threads. Not much. Don't know what a Colt SAA in 45 colt has over the chamber where the bolt notch is, but probably not much either. You would have to probably keep pressures down low on your conversion.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Not sure if the 1894 Marlin or 92 Winchester designs are big enough. If either or both are, I think extraction could be worked out. I think the cartridge would be interesting in a repeating carbine.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Have you checked with Gary Reeder? He makes a pretty wide variety. I have been pondering his 375 GNR #2, its a 45-70 necked down to .375
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sounds interesting --- but (and i'm not always one to think practically , buuuuuut ) there's just so many ways to load the 45/70 - i wouldnt see the need -- but "need" has got nothing to do with it, i know - paraphrasing movie Unforgiven

Little Bill: I was building a house - I dont deserve this

William Munny : Deserve's got nothin' to do with it

LOL on Youtube -- spent an hour on that site yesterday researching how to paint my old "retro" AR (M16 604 upper receiver with commercial lower) in chocolate chip day desert camo to commemorate my time in the service --- easy to get sucked in on that site - even more so with a Smart TV that has it right on the big screen

off topic , but Freedomstencils.com has the tools to get it done :lol:
----- Doug
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

mickbr wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:02 am I know its probably not in the category of rounds easy or sensible to fit in a lever action, but I bet someone out there has done or can do it. Or maybe it cant be with that rebated rim? case rim is the same as 44 mag if that helps. I know bighorn does the 500SW and 500 linebaugh but quite a bit bigger cases, a little less able to play with light powders. And I'm laying about with a bad knee at the monent so thats what Im blaming this fever dream on, maybe I should just be surfing funny cat videos..
https://exclusive.multibriefs.com/conte ... on-leisure

the 1886 50/110 had some good loads . . . I think the pressure of the 50AE could be checked against those pressures.
I found one that might be a good donor -> https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =102597209
:D
I don't know if the 92s or the 336s can handle those pressures once the receiver is bored out. Somebody might have tried it tho . . .

grizz
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Dunno but the Big Horn 89 in 500 S&W is a masterpiece.

Big bucks but no figuring and guessing and hiring out machining...

On the other hand....sometimes the 'project' aspect is the fun part, so if your up to the challenge, go for it. You may well spend more money and certainly more time, than going with a 'stock' 500 S&W. I'm pretty sure in a levergun you could load 'cat-sneeze' loads, too, but also rhino-thumpers if desired, and no worries about excess pressures etc.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Someone did that conversion with Marlin 94s. A while back, maybe like 20 yrs ago or so, Shooting TImes or Guns & Ammo had an article about it. Someone here mentioned Gary Reeder's name, it may well have been him.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I had a Win 30-30 that Regan Nonneman converted to 358 Win. I am not sure how he modified the extrsctor but it had no issues with 308 brass. That thing was a beast and would handle really hot loads like a champ......wish I still had it
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Didn't Ben Forkin or somebody make one of these years ago? (though it might have been one of one)

Yeah... my brain still works a little. https://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/shootists.htm
Slow is just slow.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Yes cas, you are correct! Ben Forkin it was indeed.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Quite a thumper for a 1894 Marlin I suspect
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Rumble.com/ hickock45
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

Mic McPherson built a few but he’s retired.

In Oz I have heard of a couple of conversions made on a Marlin 1894.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

wvfarrier wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:25 pm Have you checked with Gary Reeder? He makes a pretty wide variety. I have been pondering his 375 GNR #2, its a 45-70 necked down to .375
Thanks I just mailed Gary, though looking at his work which is really nice, Im thinking a BHA model 89 in 500SW might be more affordable. :D
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

My friend rebarreled a Marlin 1894 44 Mag to 50 AE about 20 years ago. I am not sure if he had to do and modifications to the extractor. It functioned fine.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I wonder if Ruger may be incline to adapt their 480 to the 1894. I would think 480 Ruger and 50 AE would have similar capabilities
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

I would imagine the hard part would be the cartridge stop, keeping the rebated rim from jumping out of the magazine and tying up the gun. I didn't know that it'd ever been done, be interesting to see how some closeup photos of the guts and what was done to make the gun run.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets.

Lead Alloy Calculator
LeverGunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverGunner »

44shooter wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:44 am I wonder if Ruger may be incline to adapt their 480 to the 1894. I would think 480 Ruger and 50 AE would have similar capabilities
I hadn't thought that far ahead... Sounds pretty good to me though! Man that'd be a thumper on both ends.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets.

Lead Alloy Calculator