Jm stamped 444marlin XLRs

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Jm stamped 444marlin XLRs

Post by mickbr »

Hi gents, what is the XLR. is this just the regular 444 with the stainless/laminate features? Also 1:20 barrel, how does this compare to the regular 1:38, I assume for one thing it can handle heavier bullets.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Jm stamped 444marlin XLRs

Post by 44shooter »

The XLR series is supposedly an accurized variant for longer ranges. They coincided with Hornady’s development of LeverRevolution ammo and the FLX bullets. I read up on them at the time but do not remember the details. Something about the relative fit the magazine, stock and barrel and a longer barrel for velocity.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Different threads on the barrel/receiver I believe.
(I forget the rationale as to whether it is for 'strength' or 'accuracy' such as rigidity).

Ballard rifling (though some other Marlins have that).

Forend and magazine mounted a bit differently so less binding to barrel - that certainly makes sense as to enhancing accuracy and especially reducing stringing.

I think mine (they are in the back of the safe) have receiver taps for a Williams FP though. Don't take my word on that though. (I can check if you want).

I've ones in 30-30, 35 Rem, and 444 Marlin, and they all seem more accurate than their counterparts, although not as 'handy' due to long overall lengths. I'll bet you could 'tune' a regular one to similar results, but out-of-the-box and with factory loads mine all will hit a chicken egg at 100 yards 95% of the time. I use 5-20x scopes on guns like that (bad eyesight) though. I've not done testing to see if hot-barrel issues are worse with regular vs XLR guns, just because I didn't have all that much ammo to spare and don't really shoot leverguns fast and furious, so pretty much all my hunting shots will be 'cold bore'.

They seem to hold a decent collector/resale value, which is nice.

Here's an article on the XLR - https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11114
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

I had one in 45-70 that put 5 rounds of factory WW 300gr slugs into just under 1.5" @100yds. My 30-30 will beat some bolt guns.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

44shooter wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:56 am The XLR series is supposedly an accurized variant for longer ranges. They coincided with Hornady’s development of LeverRevolution ammo and the FLX bullets. I read up on them at the time but do not remember the details. Something about the relative fit the magazine, stock and barrel and a longer barrel for velocity.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Actually the XLR seems to be a copy of my 336 adl waffletop in stainless and laminate without the waffle and drilled and tapped for a scope. As I like the 24 inch barrel and half magazine better than the carbine, you will not be getting any of mine anytime soon. :lol: