Even your home WiFi is under attack.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Even your home WiFi is under attack.

Post by AJMD429 »

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Re: Even your home WiFi is under attack.

Post by KWK »

Home WiFi have long been a weakness. Cheap consumer products with little tech support.

I've wondered what the Chinese put in various WiFi connected products, such as PCs, TVs, etc.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I use and recommend the Ubiquiti WiFi and networking infrastructure. Not perfect, but closer to business/enterprise level security that you can also run at home. I'm probably out of the norm though ... being the IT business.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:59 am .
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/c ... r-BB1hza67

Pretty creepy.
did you notice that the ever truthful and always honest and never dishonorable "agent" asserted that the fbi deleted all of the hack attacks against home routers ? Hmmm? Which, not to put too fine a point on it, is the fbi hacking your routers too. See any connection there?

if interested in finding how hackable or not your phone or router is, go to https://www.grc.com/intro.htm >services >Shields UP and follow the link for a forensic test of your network. if you are using a VPN the test will go there and they always have some open ports, but if your computer is online with the assigned ip then your own computer will be scored by how it reacts to Gibson's server.

Gibson is a computer genius who writes code in machine language, some of which you can see on his site. Routers should not be hacked if they are properly set up with a stateful inspection firewall, which is built into the routers I use. then too, there is a packet snooper called Wireshark that will show you all the traffic going into and out of your network. You can monitor traffic and see if it's increasing beyond your normal usage. You can also find some chicom junk in windows registry, and it can be purged there, but be CAREFUL and don't fool around in there if you know what you don't know. Heh.

I think hackers get into routers because they are used for online gaming with port sharing, which is an invite to hackers to access those networks. My router is shut down as much as possible. I don't have wifi on this box, or a camera, or a mic, because I use this to run the rest of my networks, all isolated thru a switch. If I leave my computer on overnight I usually unplug the LAN cable to isolate it. Hackers also get to with links in emails that we should have blocked, and with images we should not have clicked. I also do NOT connect my t.v. to the internet. Windows has a good firewall built in to it. I use it sometimes to block a particular ip or group of them. Including Bing, which I consider a hack. When it trys to call home the firewall tells it that it can't get there from here. I don't store anything in anybody's cloud. I have my own. I also watch the wifi traffic going thru my router from time to time. I use loooong passwords on all devices and networks.

It's a pain. It's not fun. But they really are out to get us.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

No sense in worrying about something that’s out of your control…….only thing they are gonna see from me is a couple of thousand posts on Leverguns, Kubota tractors and Jeep accessories and the occasional Fox News look-see.

Whatever is coming is coming and there’s nothing any of us can do to stop it, except vote, and even that don’t mean nothing anymore.

I believe what Steven Hawking said before he died, “mankind has at most 100 years left”.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If interested in finding how hackable o ... 's server.

That's good to know - I think a VPN is a good idea. My phone(s) and computers are from about three different providers so I need to figure out a way to 'unify' them.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "