New lever gun! Purchased in October..posted today.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

New lever gun! Purchased in October..posted today.

Post by EG73 »

As the title says - I bought this back in October but after a series of delays (no one’s fault) it’s finally on its way here, woo!

Marlin 1895CB, .45-70.

Any idea if it’s a Remlin or JM? I haven’t got much details on it yet until it arrives. I was originally wanting to replace the after market sights but think I’ll keep them on instead. Just going to be running trapdoor loads most likely.
Here’s the only pics I have from the seller. Didn’t get the Mauser 66, considered it though..

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New lever gun! Purchased in October..posted today.

Post by .45colt »

I don't think remlin ever made a cowboy model. . For target work that gun will really shoot with the receiver sight. for hunting I would only change the front sight. I have five rifles with receiver sights on them . for Me nothing works better. Good snag. :D .
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

That looks older than the Remlin era

You might love those sites, who knows
----- Doug
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

That's not a Remlin.
I have a 336 CB, 30-30, which has a checkered stock. I don't recall IF the 336 CB 38-55 rifles were checkered, but I don't believe they were, or not all of them.
Prior to the Remington "takeover", the Marlin custom shop converted a number of existing 336 rifles to the cowboy style (octagon barrel, etc) with leftover parts after the 336 CB rifles were discontinued.
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

That's a nice one EG! Tell us how it shoots, when you find out. I was offered an 1895 with a very low serial and I'm trying to talk myself out of it. Wondering how much it's worth in 99%.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

Your Marlin is a Marlin. S/N says it was made 08. If it was a Remington it would have a QR code forward the S/N as well as MR. JM stamp on the barrel forward the receiver?
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by EG73 »

Thanks, guys. I was wondering if it was Remington or marlin and thought marlin based on what I’ve read. Never actually got pics of the barrel markings or thought to look up serial number. :o

It didn’t matter too much as a remlin anyway as it was still cheap for over here either way - ($725usd).

I’ll try and find a replacement front site just to stash away anyways. What should the front site look like, anyone have a pic?

Cheers.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

One quick visual clue it's not a Remlin is the contour of the trigger guard. It's gracefully shaped, thicker closer to the hinge and tapering down towards lever. Remlins were thickest in the middle and look weird. Ruglin copied the Remlin. Blech.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I have an 1895cb set up with a shaver tang sight and it loves smacking steel waaay out yonder. I really think marlin nailed the profile of the barrel on these, enough weight out front to hang nice offhand while slim enough not to be a burden carrying the thing in the woods.

Eric
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by EG73 »

yooper2 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:56 am I have an 1895cb set up with a shaver tang sight and it loves smacking steel waaay out yonder. I really think marlin nailed the profile of the barrel on these, enough weight out front to hang nice offhand while slim enough not to be a burden carrying the thing in the woods.

Eric
I read that these are well balanced, which is great as I didn’t get it for target work. Initial plan was to go back to factory sights but then decided to keep what’s on it. You guys recommend replacing the front sight though and keeper the receiver sight so will aim to do that too.
Gah more excited than ever to get this now :mrgreen:

Also this is levergun #3. Thinking of selling the Mannlicher Schoenauer M1910 in 9.5x56 to get #4 (.356 Winchester or .375 winchester.)
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by EG73 »

Hopefully have it in my mitts by the end of the month. Bought a pack of Remington Corelokts. 405gr at 1300

Gosh I’m looking forward to this.
Last edited by EG73 on Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

EG, those 405-grain Corelokts are fun to shoot, but as they approach 1600, not so much at least in my experience. I loaded some to 1800 and just did not care to shoot them. That Decelerator would have helped.
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by EG73 »

I’ll have to try some more speed variation with time. My original plans to just load trapdoor velocities.

Those 400’s are meant to be able to get close to 2000, yikes!

I also want to replace the rear and front sights.
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by EG73 »

If this rifle is 2008 what rifling will it have - micro groove or Ballard? And what’s the difference as far as projectile choices?
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Sorry, double posted.

Eric
Last edited by yooper2 on Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

All of the CB series have normal rifling, "Ballard" in Marlin parlance. Pretty much anything short enough to feed should give decent accuracy. My favorites are the old Gould bullet and the RCBS 400gr gascheck that I reamed the gas check shank out of.

Eric