POI changes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

POI changes

Post by wvfarrier »

I have been tinkering with 357 mag rifle loads lately and noticed that there was HUGE variances in point of impact points depending on the projectiles used. It seems the model of projectile affects POI even when velocities are very close. I have seen impact points that 4-6" different between 4 different projectiles even though the belocites were within 75fps of each other. Anyone else notice this? I havent seen this behavior with bolt or semi auto rifles.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Re: POI changes

Post by samsi »

I guess this is one of those Everyone's-experiences-are-different scenarios. I've actually experienced less variation with a .357 carbine than with other rifles. My '06 is drastically different shooting 150's vs 165's. Now I'm going to take another look (oh no, another excuse for a range day!).
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

I shot this target sandbagged at 25 yds with a 4 1/4" S&W M69 .44 Mag. Two shots per load to limit recoil fatigue and reduce target clutter. Point of aim was the same for all groups (center target diamond). I'm sure different guns, calibers, loads would show different results.
Paul
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

wvfarrier wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:13 pm I havent seen this behavior with bolt or semi auto rifles.

My standard answer to a statement like that is, "You just haven't shot them enough." I've seen the phenomenon in rifles of all types and most chamberings.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Unfortunately I’ve seen it too. Thats why I am so careful about cutting my fixed sights to a particular load until I shoot a gun quite a bit.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:52 am Unfortunately I’ve seen it too. Thats why I am so careful about cutting my fixed sights to a particular load until I shoot a gun quite a bit.
Exactly!