Anyone own a Chiappa 1887?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Anyone own a Chiappa 1887?

Post by EG73 »

Particularly the Chiappa, rather than the Chinese or originals. Curious how they find them to use. Wanting to get an 1887, probably going the Italian route. Chiappa make decent rifles and I’m curious how these shotguns go. Going to get the 28” barrel version as I want it for fowl :)
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Anyone own a Chiappa 1887?

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I can tell you they hold up. Lassiter has been shooting one for at least 10 years in Cowboy Action Shooting. He engineered this drop 2 conversion for competition, which you would not want. But they do hold up well. I wish they made them in 10 gauge also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47nWth0kRS8
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'd sure say go for it! I only had the Chinese version maybe 15 years ago, and to say it was not smooth would be a hilarious understatement. Just love this old Browning design, though.
Rube Burrows may be along here shortly but he runs an original as I recall. When I briefly dipped my toe in CAS some time ago, one of the guys in the "Jefferson State Regulators" ran a Winchester 87 in 10 gauge with full-power black powder all-brass handloads. When he stepped up to the line everything went quiet cause everyone wanted to drink in the thunderous boom that big old 10 made! 8)
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

My guess is the fireballs were impressive.