Ladd & Smith bullet mold

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Ladd & Smith bullet mold

Post by marlinman93 »

By chance there was just an article in the ASSRA about Ladd & Smith bullet molds of San Francisco. A friend contacted me about one he had and thought it was a good time to sell his. So I made him an offer and he accepted it.

CD Ladd was born in Vermont in 1849 and moved to San Francisco in 1872 to work for AJ Plate, but in 1876 he quit to open a small gun shop of his own. His partner Thomas Smith joined him in this venture, and they soon bought out another shop owned by Curry & Bro. Then sometime in 1880 Smith departed, leaving Ladd on his own.
In 1895 the company changed hands and the new owner was EH Ladd, and his connection to CD Ladd is unknown. But EH Ladd continued in business as a company until 1960 in San Francisco, although that company never built the molds and loading tools that Ladd & Smith, or CH Ladd built.

As the markings indicate on this mold it's a .45 caliber, 340 gr. mold for a .457" rifle bore. The other half of the mold blocks has a plug secured in the bottom that forms the flat nose on this mold. This mold is unmarked as the Ladd & Smith maker, and about half of those made are unmarked. Likely those marked are later production, and early molds would be the unmarked ones. But his style of molds are very distinctive if you've ever seen one, and easily recognized, even unmarked. San Francisco was a hot bed of competitive shooters, and hunters in the mid 1800's to early 1900's, with many fine gun makers, and gunsmiths. L&S is a small part of this, and an extremely rare tool to find in any condition, or caliber! Rowe & Curtis books Antique American Loading Tools cover this mold in Vol. 2 and state any Ladd & Smith molds are classed as #5 in rarity, which equates, "to rarely ever seen, or one of a kind".
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Ladd & Smith bullet mold

Post by gamekeeper »

Something the "non gun" people will never understand is just how wide and diverse our interests are....nice piece of history you have there... 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

They say ya learn something new every day- I had never heard about these. Neat find and a great bit of history.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:59 am Something the "non gun" people will never understand is just how wide and diverse our interests are....nice piece of history you have there... 8)
Indeed! I have friends who don't own any guns at all, but collect all sorts of firearm accessories. We as "gun people" have very diverse interests. I used to tell people I collected guns, but the rest of the associated gun accessories were just an accumulation. But I can't say that anymore as I've gotten as interested in old pre WWI era reloading tools as I am about that era of guns.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:37 pmThey say ya learn something new every day- I had never heard about these. Neat find and a great bit of history.
Ditto, thanks for sharing that.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Glad the post didn't bore everyone to death! :)
I love anything gun related that's old, and shows what men were able to do with no electricity, and basic tools long ago!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That is awfully cool. 8)

I've really become a big fan of antique bullets molds. A very interesting collecting field all by itself.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Very cool old bullet mold! I have more molds than I could ever use and many for calibers I don't shoot but anytime I see an old mold I don't have I need to add it to the collection.

Eric
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

yooper2 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:47 am Very cool old bullet mold! I have more molds than I could ever use and many for calibers I don't shoot but anytime I see an old mold I don't have I need to add it to the collection.

Eric
I also buy Ideal, Lyman, or other molds if they're in great shape and I can cast with them. I cast for almost all my guns, except a few modern high power rifles that need jacketed bullets.
If a mold is cheap enough, or a very old mold I can afford, I grab them just because for those two reasons.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Dang!

I just looked at ebay for some old molds and loading tools and the prices have TRIPLED or MORE in the last 12 months! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nice find, Vall, and thanks for sharing. Hard to believe there was once enthusiasm for firearms in "Baghdad by the Bay."
When in high school in the late '60s early '70s, I loved that on field trips to SF, we could wander around downtown and into Abercrombie and Fitch and drool over their fine sporting guns. And there was a well-known men's clothing store -- might have been Roos, Atkins -- that also had a gunroom!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:21 am Nice find, Vall, and thanks for sharing. Hard to believe there was once enthusiasm for firearms in "Baghdad by the Bay."
When in high school in the late '60s early '70s, I loved that on field trips to SF, we could wander around downtown and into Abercrombie and Fitch and drool over their fine sporting guns. And there was a well-known men's clothing store -- might have been Roos, Atkins -- that also had a gunroom!
It is amazing the difference in the San Francisco area from 150 years ago to today. Back in the mid 1800's to early 1900's the San Francisco area was a hotbed of shooting, and hunting with a number of big gun clubs. Some of the finest gunsmiths in the US were based around the SF area, but most are almost unknown today compared to other names like Pope, Schoyen, Zischang, Peterson, etc. And their work is not as often found, nor do they bring as much money as the well known names. I'd love to own a rifle by one of the master gun makers of the late 1800's California makers, but the only ones I ever see for sale are mostly muzzleloaders, which I've tried to avoid owning or collecting.