Got a very cool new toy today!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Got a very cool new toy today!

Post by RIDERED350r »

So I wasn't actively looking, just my occasional window shopping on GB last weekend and found something I've admired since I learned of their existence. A modern production Winchester 1886 Trapper Limited. These were made in 2014 and only 201 of them exist. I found this one on GB and had to have it. It was advertised as LNIB and I'm 99.9% sure it's unfired. Not the slightest Mark on the bolt face or any other sign it's been fired even once. Came in the factory box with all paperwork including a certificate of authenticity to it being part of the Trapper Limited series. This one is #22 of 201.

I weighed it on a scale that is accurate to .1 gram. And after some conversion I was surprised to find that it weighs 8.44lbs empty. I figured the short 16" round barrel would have it in the 7lb range. But, an 1886 is not known for being lightweight. I love it anyway and am extremely happy to own it. It pairs with my 26" Turnbull 1886 Takedown nicely. 😁 It would be a ways down the line, but the thought of having Turnbull make this rifle match my other 1886 in finish and checkering is crossing my mind. Not sure if I should or not, I have a lot of time to consider it.

Anyway, here it is.
IMG_20231103_152257548.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RIDERED350r on Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Got a very cool new toy today!

Post by JBowen »

Congratulations on the rare find! I would have figured it would have the carbine style butt stock and forearm like other trappers.
Happy shooting.

JBowen
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Thanks neighbor!

Yes, that's part of what I really like about it, the rifle style stocks and crescent buttplate 🙂
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My favorites are the crescent buttplates and forend caps. My Browning 1886 is the full length rifle.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

RIDERED350r wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:58 pm Thanks neighbor!

Yes, that's part of what I really like about it, the rifle style stocks and crescent buttplate 🙂

The last time I shot a 45/70 e
With a metal buttplate I wound up folding up a t shirt to pad my shoulder with after the second round. (Shooting off a bench though)

Your trapper looks mighty fine!
----- Doug
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Nice, never seen one in that style.
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

RIDERED350r wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:10 pm So I wasn't actively looking, just my occasional window shopping on GB last weekend and found something I've admired since I learned of their existence. A modern production Winchester 1886 Trapper Limited. These were made in 2014 and only 201 of them exist. I found this one on GB and had to have it. It was advertised as LNIB and I'm 99.9% sure it's unfired. Not the slightest Mark on the bolt face or any other sign it's been fired even once. Came in the factory box with all paperwork including a certificate of authenticity to it being part of the Trapper Limited series. This one is #22 of 201.

I weighed it on a scale that is accurate to .1 gram. And after some conversion I was surprised to find that it weighs 8.44lbs empty. I figured the short 16" round barrel would have it in the 7lb range. But, an 1886 is not known for being lightweight. I love it anyway and am extremely happy to own it. It pairs with my 26" Turnbull 1886 Takedown nicely. 😁 It would be a ways down the line, but the thought of having Turnbull make this rifle match my other 1886 in finish and checkering is crossing my mind. Not sure if I should or not, I have a lot of time to consider it.

Anyway, here it is.

IMG_20231103_152257548.jpg
That is very cool. The perfect skiff gun for hunting the sea shore. :)
abar20manfan
Levergunner

Post by abar20manfan »

Very cool rifle! My limit these days are Marlin Trappers in 357 and 45 Colt.
8)
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That’s really cool!!!!!
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

Thanks for the kind words gents.

I did make it to the range today. And shooting from the bench using sandbags as a front rest I was able to dial in a group of appx 2" at 100yds. I've figured out that a fine ivory front bead paired with a full buckhorn rear with white diamond insert helps me do my part better. I have two other rifles with that sight config and have achieved some groups that would make a scoped bolt rifle owner proud. This Trapper has a brass front bead and a plain rear semi-buckhorn with no white diamond insert. The sights are both fine in terms of size, but I find the brass bead with plain black rear a bit more difficult to do my part with. I think that coupled with the very short sight radius played a role in my not being able to achieve <2" at 100yds. I know this is a short barrel and tight groups at 100yds and beyond is really not what it was designed for. But I think I will swap the sights for a fine white head front and full buckhorn rear with white diamond insert as I think we can do better.

As to the actual shooting. Well, the fireball and concussion was substantial. But the real attention getter was the recoil shooting from the bench. I do understand that crescent buttplates and bench shooting aren't exactly peas and carrots. But this is something I need to do to establish a good base sight in so I soldier through it. It rendered my shoulder pretty tender, but it's a good kind of pain.🤣.

What was surprising today is what the chronograph told me. So I also own a Henry H024 45-70. It has a 19.5" barrel and I've run these exact loads through the Henry which is the Hornady 325gr FTX pushed by a near max charge of AA1680 in the level II table from Hornady 11th. The Henry averages right around 2000fps with this load. The 1886 Trapper actually averaged a pinch faster at about 2020fps. I had a hunch that AA1680 would be well suited to shorter barreled 45-70s after seeing how it ran in my Henry. Today's session has me all but convinced of it.

All in all I'm very happy with this '86 Trapper and had a great day at the range. Im going to hunt this rifle as-is for this year and maybe upgrade those sights over the winter.
Last edited by RIDERED350r on Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That is a lot of punch in a very small package!
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

It's in the woods earning it's keep today.
IMG_20231105_134610517.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

That is a true beauty. Sizing up my Browning 1886 for a short barrel . . . :!:
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

The short barrel is definitely a hoot to shoot. But fortunately 45-70 is one of those cartridges that one can easily tune his hand loads to his liking. 🙂

We walked through some thick stuff on the way to our spot today. The Trapper length rifle makes for a fair bit easier time getting through the thick stuff. Grab it by the grip and muzzle it down along your leg and it comes nowhere near touching the ground 🤣