Bullard Leveraction

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Bullard Leveraction

Post by Griff »

I'd heard of Bullard Rifles, but not their lever-action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZNt3UyddwE
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bullard Leveraction

Post by OldWin »

I saw that video today too! Pretty cool rifle, but I can see why they are scarce.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

It doesn't get any better than that!
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I read an article last year on the Bullards. Gave me a bad case of the "wants"
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bullard rifles are scarce because they were way overpriced at the time they were built! They are wonderful rifles, with extremely good engineering, fit, and finish. But the cost to build them was very high, and that's why they sold so few, and went bankrupt.
The owner of Bullard never really had a great interest in running the company either. He was a mechanical genius and he left the company to pursue the new fangled automobile industry, as once something was done, he was bored with it. At one time Milton Farrow, one of, if not the greatest shot of his time, became superintendent of the Bullard Rifle Co. and ran it. But he too saw the writing on the wall and exited to start Farrow Rifle Co.. Like Bullard, the Farrow rifles were also overpriced, and that company also died after just a short time.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Great video. I appreciate him showing the action and how it worked.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

the action is very smooth and like other rifles of that period very well put together. i only have one though i have bid on many others:

mine is a 45/70 [ they mark it 45/85 if if recall correctly ]
cable
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

It would be amazing to see Henry or Winchester do a limited run of them
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

wvfarrier wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:27 am It would be amazing to see Henry or Winchester do a limited run of them
It would more likely be a manufacturer like Pedersoli. They make a large range of older long discontinued firearms.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I believe at least one other on the forum has a Bullard rifle. A Canadian , G. Scott Jamieson, has authored two wonderful books on the Bullard rifle. These books are rich in the description,history,specifics and stunning pictures of the Bullard rifle story. I had the pleasure and good fortune to correspond with him ,in the early 80"s,prior to his first book with pictures and the spec's of my rifle included. Mr Jamieson corrects a number of the myths and errors about the rifle in his books. For example the number of rifles produced , probably not even close to what is commonly reported. His two books are masterpieces in quality,depth and detail. My Bullard is a large frame, pistol grip,lever action in 40-75-260 (40-70-232), a 40-65 Winchester clone with a slightly larger (.412) bore. My rifling twist is also different than a 40-65 Win and favors a lighter bullet. 41 Mag pistol bullets shoot quite well for me. In the video he shoots 40-65 Win ammo with surprising accuracy I can't explain. I had Hoch make me a custom mold of proper diameter for mine. Montana Bullet Works also supplies me with quality bullets. My rifle is stunningly accurate with some amount of game to it's credit. Ken Waters puts the Bullard on par with the Winchester 86 pressure/strength wise. I hesitate to go that far, my handloads strains my rifle not in the least. I have reason to believe there is another gentleman even here in Billings with a Bullard rifle!
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper