30 Caliber “Combo”

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

30 Caliber “Combo”

Post by Sixgun »

30 Caliber Combos

Ya know, when other gentlemen were writing “combos” I thought it was those pizza flavored things that a person eats, then my good friend Old Win toad me it was a rifle and a pistol that was in the same caliber…..whew! Good thing I had Jay around.

These are two guns..(I think) One is a 30-06 military BAR and from what some smart guy toad me, it’s de only one he has ever seen with a scope…I dunno…….and the revolver is a Rossi 30 Carbine…..it sure don’t look like a carbine to me…..it’s little but it sure makes a crack when you choot it….

And den I found another 30 caliber rifle….something called an “1899 Savage” with just a couple of numbers for a serial number…..I heard that’s it’s some kind of a gun they call a “prototype” as it has a funny looking barrel …it’s a half and half round or octagon they call it….Geeze, I thought it was creamer for a coffee….

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JimT
Shootist

Re: 30 Caliber “Combo”

Post by JimT »

I bought one of those .30 Carbine Blackhawks in 1969 when I had my three years in and was discharged from active duty. I started shooting it right away as well as handloading for it. In those days we didn't know anything about ear protection and the first time I fired it, I was standing in front of my 1964 Ford Fairlane. When I my hearing returned a little I could hear the front bumper on the Fairlane still ringing.

It was a very accurate sixgun. I had no problem keeping shots on a gallon oil can at 200 yards with it. I shot that gun for several years and got very discouraged with it. Not because of accuracy but because of a lack of power. The light bullets in the .30 Carbine had nothing left at 300 yards. The .357 Magnum out-performed it as far as penetration and knocking stuff down. And the .357 while loud was not as obnoxious as the .30 Carbine.

Since I was more interested in longer range power I eventually traded it off.

I think that gun is one reason I say "Huh? What'd you say?" a lot. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yes Jim…it’s loud…….and when it comes to handloading for it, case length and crimp is extremely important…..very finicky on dimensions….I usually load it at 32-20 velocities and once in a while I’ll throw a box of GI ammo through it…..you bet it’s accurate, possibly the most accurate revolver I have.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My contribution. Like Six's, a .30-06 and a .30 Carbine, so a combination in caliber (inches) only...

I bought the Winchester 1895 High Grade here. Still haven't shot it. Need to get out and let Y2K sling the first rounds. :D

The Ruger Blackhawk is an early 4-digit serial number. Sports a Bushnell "Magnum Phantom" 2.5x pistol scope - which is at least 40 years old. Lots of bark but little bite on that one! :lol:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Here's a Finnish .30 cal combo for you guys.

The M39 is as accurate as my '03A3. The SA proofed Broomhandle is just plain cool.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Six, that half round/half octagon barrel is very cool! Beautiful!

And Kid, that's about the prettiest 1895 I've ever seen.

Gentlemen, thanks for the pictures.....much appreciated.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks Walt………I’d also like to say that “The Kids” 1895 needs a bit of usage …….when something is so clean and polished and totally “mark less”, (is that a word?) it is very hard pulling the trigger the first time, but they become easier after that.😀

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:38 am Thanks Walt………I’d also like to say that “The Kids” 1895 needs a bit of usage …….when something is so clean and polished and totally “mark less”, (is that a word?) it is very hard pulling the trigger the first time, but they become easier after that.😀
Thus, my issue.

So, a serious question for you Six. If it was yours, would you keep it in mint condition, or give it a couple pulls of the trigger?
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:00 pm
So, a serious question for you Six. If it was yours, would you keep it in mint condition, or give it a couple pulls of the trigger?
OK Kid……this is how it goes….we have two motivations…..1….is to preserve perfection for a monetary gain……2….is to use it for what it was designed for.

I’ve always been an investor, demanding what I paid ,..EASILY back in return and a decent percentage every year……..there are two kinds of investment guns…old desirable guns and new desirable guns……..new ones need not apply as your kids and mine will be gone before they appreciate more than what a months electricity costs……….Old desirable guns like antique Winchesters and Colts that are new or nearly new cost a lot of money but they appreciate if left alone…..

There’s an old saying ..”Condition Sells”……..

I’m making this number up as to value…..PRETENDING HERE…..let’s pretend your gun is worth 2K…….in ten years it may be worth 2.5K or about what inflation is doing…….on the other hand, an antique 1873 in 99% condition will also gain value but is MORE desirable and will attract a smaller but more heeled clientele. That 1873 will always be an instant seller where the 1895 will also be an easy seller but the value will never approach the 1873. OLD guns in mint condition is better than money in the bank where newer guns in mint condition will also be money in the bank but on a far lesser premium……say…..STILL PRETENDING…….3K vs 20K………a loss on shooting the 1895 will be minimal ….pretending 10-15% and the same on the 1873….10-15%…..IF you keep the gun or guns in excellent+ condition….BUT….a $500 loss is a lot less than the $5,000 loss than what you would have with the 1873…….

As an example, commemorative Winchesters built in the 1960’s-1970-s will only have a slight loss if fired or hunted with a few times vs, NIB but will retain 60-70% even if fired a lot and are not all beat up…….

Another example…….a ‘62 Corvette with 5,000 miles on it will retain the value and desirability MUCH MORE than a ‘72 Plymouth Fury with 5,000 miles on it so drive the s,hit out of the Plymouth and baby the Vette with a back and forth down the driveway and back.🤪

As your 1895 is a top notch quality gun, you will never see any appreciable gain in value if kept NIB vs. shooting and hunting with it……
SHOOT IT…….I only have a few Winchesters & Colts that stay unfired and it’s all investment based…..

These 2 do not get fired….they remain new from 1891 and 1917…….along with a handful of others…..everything else gets shot…gently.😀

Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Mouth-wateringly beautiful guns, Six. I appreciate them and you for sending out the pics.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:12 pm …….and the revolver is a Rossi 30 Carbine…..
Finally I see Sixer has come to his senses and realizes that Rossis are pretty much just as good as Rugers...
:shock: :o :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good info!
I was going to keep this "mint and unopened ". But like my buddy Six said, just use it gently and the value isn't hurt.

I've decided to open the bag, but just lightly chew them and put them back. Then, future generations can enjoy them.

Sorry boys.....I had to. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thank you on the compliments on my Rossi’s……..I tell ya, I’m afraid to touch an unfired R…….just a fingerprint will cost the owner .02 and a barrel change will value the gun about the same as a paper cup….as my pal, Old Win would say, “I had to”…..and that AJMD is a doc I would love to have…a real sense of humor……buuuutt…..no prostate checks….they hurt….🤣. 🤪. 😍

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:48 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:00 pm
OK Kid……this is how it goes….we have two motivations…..1….is to preserve perfection for a monetary gain……2….is to use it for what it was designed for.

I’ve always been an investor, demanding what I paid ,..EASILY back in return and a decent percentage every year……..there are two kinds of investment guns…old desirable guns and new desirable guns……..new ones need not apply as your kids and mine will be gone before they appreciate more than what a months electricity costs……….Old desirable guns like antique Winchesters and Colts that are new or nearly new cost a lot of money but they appreciate if left alone…..

There’s an old saying ..”Condition Sells”……..

I’m making this number up as to value…..PRETENDING HERE…..let’s pretend your gun is worth 2K…….in ten years it may be worth 2.5K or about what inflation is doing…….on the other hand, an antique 1873 in 99% condition will also gain value but is MORE desirable and will attract a smaller but more heeled clientele. That 1873 will always be an instant seller where the 1895 will also be an easy seller but the value will never approach the 1873. OLD guns in mint condition is better than money in the bank where newer guns in mint condition will also be money in the bank but on a far lesser premium……say…..STILL PRETENDING…….3K vs 20K………a loss on shooting the 1895 will be minimal ….pretending 10-15% and the same on the 1873….10-15%…..IF you keep the gun or guns in excellent+ condition….BUT….a $500 loss is a lot less than the $5,000 loss than what you would have with the 1873…….

As an example, commemorative Winchesters built in the 1960’s-1970-s will only have a slight loss if fired or hunted with a few times vs, NIB but will retain 60-70% even if fired a lot and are not all beat up…….

Another example…….a ‘62 Corvette with 5,000 miles on it will retain the value and desirability MUCH MORE than a ‘72 Plymouth Fury with 5,000 miles on it so drive the s,hit out of the Plymouth and baby the Vette with a back and forth down the driveway and back.🤪

As your 1895 is a top notch quality gun, you will never see any appreciable gain in value if kept NIB vs. shooting and hunting with it……
SHOOT IT…….I only have a few Winchesters & Colts that stay unfired and it’s all investment based…..

These 2 do not get fired….they remain new from 1891 and 1917…….along with a handful of others…..everything else gets shot…gently.😀

Sage advice and I was hoping you'd say "shoot it"!!! :D :D :D

Thanks Six!