Lockback Pocket Knife

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Lockback Pocket Knife

Post by TraderVic »

Sitting at a Christian music festival yesterday in a pair of cargo shorts, danged if my pocket knife must have slid out of my pocket....gone !
So - I'm looking for a quality non Chinese replacement. Considering a Moore Maker. Any other suggestions ?
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lockback Pocket Knife

Post by Tycer »

I’m kind of a steel snob. The Moore’s use mostly 1095 carbon steel. It’s an old steel and takes a good edge but doesn’t retain it as well as modern steels. It also rusts without care. I’ve moved through all the fancy newer steels but have gone backwards to 154cm. I used to really like S30V but it is a bit brittle for a working knife. Not too brittle but still I’ve knocked a tiny chip off the edge of many blades. They are small enough that they sharpen out on the next stone use but 154cm doesn’t chip at all.
WRT locking mechanisms the axis lock is my favorite. It gets stronger with use and I have never had one close accidentally. I’ve cut myself open with lockback and lock front knives. I keep my blades sharp. Always.
For edc I’ve settled on Benchmade 556-YEL in 154cm plain edge. I have them in S30V and 154cm with both plain and serrated but like the 154cm plain best. I really like the modified drop point shape.
I have other fancier/cheaper knives with different blades, locks or no, pointy or tanto, long or shorter, fixed…… but the 556 fits me perfectly for daily use.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Buck is making a somewhat modernized version of the 110 with composite scales, thumb stud and a pocket clip. I've been carrying on off and on for the last year, it's still a little too tight to open one-handed but it's getting there. Didn't have to touch the edge as it came out of the box wicked sharp.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Tycer wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:10 pm I’m kind of a steel snob. The Moore’s use mostly 1095 carbon steel. It’s an old steel and takes a good edge but doesn’t retain it as well as modern steels. It also rusts without care. I’ve moved through all the fancy newer steels but have gone backwards to 154cm. I used to really like S30V but it is a bit brittle for a working knife. Not too brittle but still I’ve knocked a tiny chip off the edge of many blades. They are small enough that they sharpen out on the next stone use but 154cm doesn’t chip at all.
WRT locking mechanisms the axis lock is my favorite. It gets stronger with use and I have never had one close accidentally. I’ve cut myself open with lockback and lock front knives. I keep my blades sharp. Always.
For edc I’ve settled on Benchmade 556-YEL in 154cm plain edge. I have them in S30V and 154cm with both plain and serrated but like the 154cm plain best. I really like the modified drop point shape.
I have other fancier/cheaper knives with different blades, locks or no, pointy or tanto, long or shorter, fixed…… but the 556 fits me perfectly for daily use.
Interesting ! So, how did you order your BM 556 with 154cm instead of S30V steel ?
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

TraderVic wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:33 pm
Tycer wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:10 pm I’m kind of a steel snob. The Moore’s use mostly 1095 carbon steel. It’s an old steel and takes a good edge but doesn’t retain it as well as modern steels. It also rusts without care. I’ve moved through all the fancy newer steels but have gone backwards to 154cm. I used to really like S30V but it is a bit brittle for a working knife. Not too brittle but still I’ve knocked a tiny chip off the edge of many blades. They are small enough that they sharpen out on the next stone use but 154cm doesn’t chip at all.
Interesting ! So, how did you order your BM 556 with 154cm instead of S30V steel ?
They come up on eBay regularly. I’m fine with a used blade. Most people don’t use a blade as much as I do. I have no problem cutting flowers, cheese, door jambs, tree roots or deburring copper pipe or metal conduit.
If you want to try one for a while PM me and I’ll let you borrow a couple. Just pay shipping.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

154 CM is good steel. I can't keep my Kancept experimental knife with S35V steel sharp. Bought it at the big blade show in Ft Worth. Last day and they sold it. No name or number to the design. My Spyderco Endura with S30V is sharp enough to shave with and holds a good edge, but it is big. My Hofner with the 440C blade is probably my best for edgeholding and getting sharp enough to cut a dust mote. If I know I will need to cut something no matter what it is covered with, that is what I carry. I must use ceramic and diamond to sharpen it. It is about 64 Rockwell C scale. Holds an edge like S7 can. PillHer has a skinner in 154 CM I made for her. It likes to taste blood, and everyone who ever runs their finger on it leaves blood on the edge. She calls it Roland.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just got one of these with m390 steel.
https://cobratecknives.com/products/sma ... 5a47&_ss=r

Light and small. It is OTF, so check local laws.
D. Brian Casady
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Any knife guy will not have a problem with 1095.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

For the past 10 or 12 years I've carried a Kershaw "LEEK", mdl # 1660ST. Simple, still American made (last I checked), durable and good support. Early on I broke a lock and it was sent right out... with a spare!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Griff wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:03 pm For the past 10 or 12 years I've carried a Kershaw "LEEK", mdl # 1660ST. Simple, still American made (last I checked), durable and good support. Early on I broke a lock and it was sent right out... with a spare!
The steel is Swedish steel made specifically for that knife. 14C28 steel. Sharpens easily and holds a good edge. That torsion bar which helps to open it can become weak or wear out. Kershaw will send a replacement for free. Good knife. No rusting even when you sweat in this Texas heat. I leave 1095 to blades that will not be in a pocket.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I like D2 tool steel but it's kind of gone by the way side.
S30/35V are great steel but yes brittle. The edge retention however is a huge plus. A buddy of mine got one of the early Buck folder with S30V and it literally gutted , including cutting the sternum of 6 deer before it stopped shaving.
I've had Spyderco of many flavors but the edc I carry is a Kershaw Onion series, I forget which steel it is but it does everything it needs to do.
Benchmade I have no faith in, but only because of their early use of ATS34. Worst peice of steel I ever owned. Wouldn't take an edge or hold a hint of sharpness. I tried every angle from 17° to 25 or 30° . I finally sent it back for a new blade. It came back with the same blade dull as a rock. Benchmade could not, would not make good on it. Gee I lost that knife close to 30 years ago and I've been carrying a Kershaw ever since !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

DELETE
Last edited by Paladin on Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is not the critic who counts
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I like the lock blades or autos made out of the newer powdered steels for durability. They are very hard steel, hold an edge unbelievably well, and take great abuse. I would put them against any for reliability.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:58 pm Any knife guy will not have a problem with 1095.
That's true. It's file making steel, and good for that. lots of good knives evolve from quality farrier rasps. but it rusts while you're watching it, like 1084, which is another good knife steel.

I'm switching to AEB-L for knives that I want to outlast the end times, but that requires commercial heat treat to get the most out of it.

For just plain utility and toughness and cheap cheep cheepness, 5160 is very hard to beat . . . but those knives will return to dust eventually . . .

grizz
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I have a Buck 285 Bantam folder, drop point, back lock, plastic scales and cheap cheap 420HC "budget" steel that I picked up from Academy for about 10 bucks the day after Christmas last...

I can't fault it, it's the string, rope, wiring, stick modifier and box deleter that I keep clipped to a pocket. It sharpens and outlasts lots of cardboard, with a honing session on leather to make it fly right through the rest of the stack. My comparison is to the various Frosts and Mora fixed blade knives made from famous steel and with the famous scandi grind. I have laminated ones, carbon steel ones, and stainless ones. We have loads of experience with the stainless versions on the fishing boats. The scandis are easy to sharpen, but have more fragile edges than the cheapo Buck.

From what I'm reading here the steel I would like is 154CM, but I don't know if it's worth the extra hundred-something bucks for a utility zone tool. If you see a 10$ Buck Bantam it's useful.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RIDERED350r »

I carry and use SOG Trident II every day. Very tough, very easy to open quickly with a flick of the thumb and the lock release is a thumb switch making one handed folding back up easy as well. Carried an original Trident for several years until the seat belt of my truck caught the clip and swiped it out of my pocket in a gas station parking lot and I didn't know it. The clip had gotten tweaked so it was more open and one of those little chores I'd always forget to do.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Certainly a learning experience regarding steel (past & present) used in knife blades and parts.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge & opinions !
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great steel here for rust resistance and edge holding.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Kershaw Leek , here.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I bought a very light, liner-lock pocket knife at the outdoor market last summer. It looked to have decent steel and a very 'work friendly' checkered handle. It did have a little bend in the last 3/16" of the point but that's an easy fix. The blade was marked AUS8-II and 'Randall's Adventure Training' in a triangular logo; I figured it was a door prize at some prepper convention. I offered five bucks and they took it.

As it turns out Randall's Adventure Training is RAT Knives and AUS8 is a pretty decent low-end knife stainless. It was dull as a hoe when I got it and went to shaving sharp pretty easily. I've used it hard around the farm for a year and have become really impressed with it. I'll definitely buy more RAT knives in the future.

People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Wasn't aware any Randall blades were that low priced..
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

TraderVic wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:01 am Wasn't aware any Randall blades were that low priced..
It's a different 'Randall', Vic.

https://www.knivesplus.com/ontario-rat- ... nives.html
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Sarge wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:34 am
TraderVic wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:01 am Wasn't aware any Randall blades were that low priced..

Ok......makes sense. Thank you Sarge
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Sarge wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:20 pm I bought a very light, liner-lock pocket knife at the outdoor market last summer. It looked to have decent steel and a very 'work friendly' checkered handle. It did have a little bend in the last 3/16" of the point but that's an easy fix. The blade was marked AUS8-II and 'Randall's Adventure Training' in a triangular logo; I figured it was a door prize at some prepper convention. I offered five bucks and they took it.

As it turns out Randall's Adventure Training is RAT Knives and AUS8 is a pretty decent low-end knife stainless. It was dull as a hoe when I got it and went to shaving sharp pretty easily. I've used it hard around the farm for a year and have become really impressed with it. I'll definitely buy more RAT knives in the future.
Bought a fixed blade from them for my wife's car bag after it was stolen in San Diego. It has held up well to occasional use. I have another I used in training some people at a S.E.A.R school they were very popular.
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

Not sure if you prefer more traditional lockbacks or modern tacticals.

As it seems like more folks are going for the more modern tacticals, I would suggest you check out the Case Marilla or the Case Kinzua. Both are made in Bradford PA. Right down to the screws, which are made on site. Both are flippers, and both have S35VN steel. Case recently added a new knife to their EDC line called the Westline, but I have not personally handled that one as yet. I have carried both the Marilla and the Kinzua, and highly recommend both. Easy opening, secure pocket clip, a blade that can take care of business. And the folks at Case are top notch.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

TraderVic wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:48 pm
Sarge wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:34 am

Ok......makes sense. Thank you Sarge
You're welcome Vic. I believe RAT contracted these through Ontario since about 2002. I also read, recently, this sad bit of news-

https://www.nothingbutknives.com/news/o ... down-soon/

Apparently Blue Ridge did not buy Ontario's machinery. If I wanted a RAT knife, I'd order while they're still in the supply chain.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've carried a Cutco folding lockback pocket knife for years. They are lifetime guaranteed, regardless of who originally bought them, and lifetime free sharpening if you don't mind sending them in and being without it for awhile.
I was recently was recently visiting my younger brother in Oklaahoma and he asked me to take a look at his broken S&W .44 Model 29. During the repairs I made I had my Cutco out on the table, and once we finished he picked up the tools and my knife disappeared! I immediately noticed I didn't have it, and he began looking for it. He found a dozen different pocket knives, and offered to replace it if he didn't find it. Eventually it turned up in an odd place he'd sat some bottles of solvent. I was in panic mode just thinking about being without my beloved Cutco folder!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I've carried a Cutco folding lockback pocket knife for years.
I've never heard of this company! Sheesh. Thanks for the reference...
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Ordered a new knife, I have a Kershaw "Leek" on the way. Shortly after I ordered it I received an email from the festival folks that my lost knife was found and turned in. Wow..
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

TraderVic wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:06 pm Ordered a new knife, I have a Kershaw "Leek" on the way. Shortly after I ordered it I received an email from the festival folks that my lost knife was found and turned in. Wow..
Murphy's Law. Quickest way to find anything is to buy its replacement. worked perfect for you :)
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

TraderVic wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:06 pm Ordered a new knife, I have a Kershaw "Leek" on the way. Shortly after I ordered it I received an email from the festival folks that my lost knife was found and turned in. Wow..
Wow! That’s great!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Grizz wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:09 pm
The reason most people have never heard of Cutco is because they only sold factory direct forever. Then about the time covid hit they decided to sell their products through a deal with Costco, so you could get them there. My granddaughter was a rep for Cutco, and my wife got a set of kitchen knives through her. So I got the pocket folder also at the same time. Now I see Amazon, and a couple others also sell Cutco, so they've gradually opened up their sales after almost 75 years.
Unfortunately they don't carry the model I have anymore, as I think they got too expensive, or weren't selling enough of this model.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

marlinman93 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:47 am
The reason most people have never heard of Cutco is because they only sold factory direct forever. Then about the time covid hit they decided to sell their products through a deal with Costco, so you could get them there. My granddaughter was a rep for Cutco, and my wife got a set of kitchen knives through her. So I got the pocket folder also at the same time. Now I see Amazon, and a couple others also sell Cutco, so they've gradually opened up their sales after almost 75 years.
Unfortunately they don't carry the model I have anymore, as I think they got too expensive, or weren't selling enough of this model.
A quote from the Cutco website:
"No pocket or purse should be without a lightweight, sharp and dependable pocket knife. Lockback design has safety in mind with a glass-reinforced nylon handle."

https://www.cutco.com/products/thumbnai ... ket-knives
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Cutco is partnered with KaBar. They use 440B steel. Good kitchen knives. Hold an edge well and do not rust. Easier to sharpen than scalpel steel. Scalpels are 440C. Carborundum and Japanese water stones will not sharpen 440C. It is too hard and abrasion resistant.
D. Brian Casady