Remington Rolling Block

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Remington Rolling Block

Post by Shrapnel »

Although it is not a lever gun, it is a great specimen from another era. When America was still enamored with guns and shooting, this was a beautiful target rifle that was used, but still taken care of.

It is a 40-50 Sharps Bottleneck with a tang peep sight and a Beeches front sight…

JimT
Shootist

Re: Remington Rolling Block

Post by JimT »

I have a soft place in my heart for the Rolling Blocks. My Dad bought one for $9.00 back in the late 1960's. It was an 11mm Egyptian or some such caliber. He used .45-7- brass blown out and necked down shooting a Keith 260 gr. SWC bullet at about 1200 fps. The gun was pretty much a wreck. After he passed I took it apart, sent the receiver and a new .45-70 barrel to John Killebrew (http://kdmcans.com)
and he cleaned it up, fixed what was broken and built an amazing rifle for me. I later ended up selling it to him.
jroller.jpg
What he started with.
jroller13.jpg
Finished product
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Those are nice gentlemen.
I have always thought I would enjoy having a roller. Everyone that I have seen for sale in person looked in questionable condition.

JBowen
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

That's one hunk of gorgeous. Glad you snagged it.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Very nice, and in a classy cartridge, too.

I have one of the last Lone Star made. Workmanship could have been better, but it's fun to shoot. For all I know, the originals were a bit rough inside as well; my original '73 Winchester is rather rough there.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

I took it out shooting, and got these 2 groups at 200 yards. The lower three were shot first, then a small adjustment on the sight to raise it to the upper 2. With that Beech front sight, the whole silhouette is covered at that distance…

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The .40-50 is a great cartridge, and puts that Rolling Block into the "Short-Range" category. Beautiful rifle!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I thought you weren't buying anymore guns! HAHA. I laughed when you said it!
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.