Dating a Stevens rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Dating a Stevens rifle

Post by jnyork »

No, I dont want to take it out to dinner and drinks. :D

I recently acquired a Stevens Walnut Hill model 417 target rifle. I know it was made between 1932 and 1940 or 1946 or 1947 depending on what book you use to look it up. It is serial numbered in only two places, those being the bottom of the receiver under the lever and on the backside of the buttplate, the number being 20xx. Only other number marking is a 7 inside a circle on the rear of the barrel.

Does anyone have any info on the DOB of this rifle?

Thanks
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Dating a Stevens rifle

Post by AJMD429 »

I got to admit I really love guns, but I never actually dated any of mine....

(.... sorry, I just couldn't pass that one up... :oops: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jn, try the Savage collectors forum over at the 24-hourcampfire.com
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

That’s the great thing about rifles. You can leave them in a safe, cram them in closets, under beds etc and they don’t complain and are there when you need them.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

No way to pin down a Stevens rifle beyond the time frame they were built as you already have. Stevens records were destroyed back in the 1920's when a government oversight committee was looking into war profiteering at Stevens, and other companies, and Stevens happened to have a fire in their records room. Interestingly at the same time any management that was still there and worked at Stevens during WWI was sent out West for "work" and couldn't be contacted to appear in front of Congress to testify.

The serial numbers on Stevens single shots were also usually on the bottom of the barrel too, and should match the others.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

marlinman93 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:08 am No way to pin down a Stevens rifle beyond the time frame they were built as you already have. Stevens records were destroyed back in the 1920's when a government oversight committee was looking into war profiteering at Stevens, and other companies, and Stevens happened to have a fire in their records room. Interestingly at the same time any management that was still there and worked at Stevens during WWI was sent out West for "work" and couldn't be contacted to appear in front of Congress to testify.

The serial numbers on Stevens single shots were also usually on the bottom of the barrel too, and should match the others.
Ok, thanks, I appreciate the info.