Hangin' Judge Gun Show

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Hangin' Judge Gun Show

Post by JBowen »

I have not been to a gun show in at least 18 months, so I decided to go today and drove 50 miles to Ft. Smith, AR to the Hangin" Judge Show.
I didn't buy a thing! I don't think any of the vendors realize things are starting to be available again as most prices were still way out of line.
I hope they can sell their stuff, but I am not desperate enough to pay their prices. I have not seen a good deal in a long time.

How are the gun shows in your area?

JBowen
Ysabel Kid

Re: Hangin' Judge Gun Show

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Its been about that long for me as well. I've just been disappointed by them over the last several years. A combination of more junk (non-gun related) to wade through then everyone overly proud of their gun-related junk. Sigh...
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I stopped seeing good deals at gun shows years ago. In the rare event I decide to attend one, I dont typically find anything that draws me back in to attend another gun show anytime soon. My best bargains typically come from pawn shop finds. I can only assume a lot of the sellers at gun shows bought into their ammo when it was so expensive that they are now stuck with it since prices have started to decline slightly and has become more available.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

The only deals I find are dirty,neglected trade ins here and there. Got a presafety Marlin 444 and a Vanguard 270 with a Leupold cheap that way. New stuff is either high or unavailable or something I don’t want or need
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

After going to probably 1500-2000 gun shows in my lifetime I realized the best gun show is very close to home. Admission is free and there's a lot of old pre ww1 Winchesters, Colt Single Actions, early N frame Smiths, flattop Rugers, Old pre ww1 Marlins, early Remington's and a smattering of other top condition little known about like Merlin & Hulberts and U.S. Military. Prices are really good.

It's only 11 steps from our living room. :D ----006

Sometimes I'll walk around and ask myself, "excuse me sir, how much for the pre war Colt SAA with all those case colors".....and I'll reply, "ahh, just take it, free".
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I've not been to one in years myself , did get a few deals back in the 1990's pre internet days. Used to mainly go for parts ,fewer and fewer vendors for that.

My best buys have been through gunbroker and individuals on forums.

Funny used to browse through Gun List and CADA Gun Journal for deals . Had to take a man's word on what you were getting . I still have many copies of these occasionally will look back at prices and compare.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:03 am After going to probably 1500-2000 gun shows in my lifetime I realized the best gun show is very close to home. Admission is free and there's a lot of old pre ww1 Winchesters, Colt Single Actions, early N frame Smiths, flattop Rugers, Old pre ww1 Marlins, early Remington's and a smattering of other top condition little known about like Merlin & Hulberts and U.S. Military. Prices are really good.

It's only 11 steps from our living room. :D ----006

Sometimes I'll walk around and ask myself, "excuse me sir, how much for the pre war Colt SAA with all those case colors".....and I'll reply, "ahh, just take it, free".
Sounds like a great collection you have there, Six!
Looking at the old antique guns at the shows is the best part, but this last one had very little. Saw one Win 1895 Carbine that was stamped "US" and
it looked like someone drug it behind a wagon.

JBowen
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Pat C wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:32 am I've not been to one in years myself , did get a few deals back in the 1990's pre internet days. Used to mainly go for parts ,fewer and fewer vendors for that.

My best buys have been through gunbroker and individuals on forums.

Funny used to browse through Gun List and CADA Gun Journal for deals . Had to take a man's word on what you were getting . I still have many copies of these occasionally will look back at prices and compare.
Pat, I never thought about it that way, but you probably hit the nail on the head. The internet has created a much bigger customer base and prices have increased because there are more people with deeper pockets willing to pay for items.

JBowen
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Quality Americana guns have always been in demand and personally, after near 50 years and ive never seen a drop......

Naaaaaa, just running my mouth.....a few nice things.....

The trick is condition, condition, condition...I've never made a super buy at a gun show...estate auctions and gun auctions.

Knowledge is power, especially when it comes to the rare variations.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

When I lived in Michigan they had one gun show per year in my town. It was huge though, and really didn't have anything not gun-related. Took both days of the weekend to really walk through it. That was the late 80's/early 90's.

When I moved to Charlotte in the mid-90's there was a show almost as big every 3 months! It was awesome! I would go to get primers and lead bullets - things that were expensive to ship, and then look for deals. I used to love looking at cartridge collections, and there were 2-3 good tables for them.

Slowly however non-gun related stuff, like junk jewelry and such, started seeping in. I would just zip by those tables so it took me less time to walk the show. But then reloading supplies started to dry up and the cartridge collectors stopped coming. Of the gun stuff left, it was just table after table of souless Glocks and the like.

Last show I went to I did pick up a cap & ball revolver at a decent deal. But that was the first time in years I bought anything at a show, and the first show I had been to in a couple years. And that was the last one... a couple years ago.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

We have a show here in town, twice a year. Not real big, but getting a bit bigger. Last one was a few weeks ago. Some decent prices on stuff and some hanging on to prices from a year ago. Bought a bag of 100 158gr soft point .357 slugs for $8.
Oh, did I forget to mention the 14 yr old NIB Colt SAA nickled 5.5" 357 mag. I saw at the show and drooled over!!! Also, an almost new S&W 29 from the mid 80's for $850. Vendor was walking the show and not at his table and by the time I make it back to when he was at the table, it was gone!! :cry:
Saw a pristine Savage 24 in 223/20ga. Didn't know they even made such a thing chambered in 223.
Lots of leverguns going out the door, along with shotguns
All in all , its a decent show. I go every time its in town.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I've always been fascinated by the Merlin & Hulberts. How do they shoot though? I've heard talk of extraction issues due to their tight tolerances. I do love the shorter barrel skull crusher versions.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:25 am I do love the shorter barrel skull crusher versions.
One of my dream guns. Someday... :mrgreen: