Politics - A little late, but worth an e-mail

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Politics - A little late, but worth an e-mail

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I got this in an e-mail from Chuck Muth this morning. Sorry to be a day late, but still worth sending an e-mail!

A friend of ours sent me this email about a school district in Texas which decided to name a local school after a Marine who was killed in Iraq, only to have the decision attacked from jack-BUTTS on Left who want the board to rescind its decision. The board might consider the matter at a meeting this evening, so if you want to lend your voice, support and assistance in this matter, please do so quickly. Here's what this is all about...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Dear Friend:

I need your assistance in contacting the Leander ISD Board of Trustees to thank them for honoring a fallen Marine. They also need to know that what they have done is good and honorable and they need to stick to their decision.

The Leander ISD Board of Trustees voted unanimously at their June 19, 2008 meeting to name LISD High School #5 "Lt. Matthew Vandegrift High School. Unfortunately, a vocal minority is pressing to change the name away from Vandergrift to something else.

Lt. Matthew Ryan Vandegrift (USMC) - a Leander High School honors graduate (Class of 1999) and athlete - was killed in Iraq in April 2008. 1st Lt. Vandegrift grew up in the Steiner Ranch community, and graduated from Texas A&M with honors and a degree in international business, before enlisting in the United States Marine Corps in August 2005. He was killed four days short of his 28th birthday.

During the school naming process public comment was accepted and the Vandergrift name was the top vote getter. Since the June 18th meeting members of the LISD Board of Trustees have been pelted with emails assailing their choice.

One such email reads in part:

"Naming the school after someone who signed up to serve in an illegal war promotes the board's political pro-war message. If you are set on honoring a service person, honor a fallen fireman or policeman. For many of us who are, and have been from the beginning, against this war, this is not the message that we want to send to our kids. Both my sons will attend this school. Both of them will know that it was named after someone who willingly signed up to take part in an illegal war defending, mainly, business interests. While I feel terribly sorry for both Lt. Matthew Vandegrift and his family for their loss, I cannot agree with their actions."

Those of us who are veterans know that civilians set policy and our soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines follow their orders and serve where they are told. To denigrate the memory of such honorable service and a life well led is shockingly sad. That is why I am calling on you to do three things.

1. Email the LISD at the address below and thank them for naming the new high School after Lieutenant Vandergrift. governance.team@leanderisd.org

2. Contact your friends and associates and ask them to do the same.

3. Attend, and encourage attendance at the next LISD Board meeting and give public comment in favor of the Vandergrift honor. The meeting will start at 6:15 on Thursday July 17 at the Cedar Park High School Auditorium. Citizen's comments are normally around 7PM. Ideally one person would speak briefly and a large group would stand to show their support for our heroes. (I am sure that those opposed to supporting our soldiers will do the same for their cause.)

There is a strong chance that the naming of the school will come up for reconsideration by the board. It is up to Americans like you to stand up and recognize the honor, courage and sacrifice of service members like Lieutenant Vandergrift.

Lieutenant Vandergrift stood up for you.will you stand up for him?

With deep respect and gratitude,

Tony Dale
Cedar Park, TX
Captain, US Army
1989-1992
tonydale@tonydale.net

Here's the e-mail I sent this morning:

To Whom it May Concern,

I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your decision to rename LISD High School #5 to "Lt. Matthew Vandegrift High School". What a wonderful way to honor a man, and graduate of the school, who sacrificed his life for our freedom.

Please resist any attempts by the unappreciative and historically-illiterate who protest this attempting to reverse this decision.

Sincerely,
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Politics - A little late, but worth an e-mail

Post by gamekeeper »

Done, Email sent.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Darn it, I'm a day-late on a day-late posting...

Have to acknowledge Game Keeper's effort from the across the pond though -- note that was the only posting that acknowledged sending any e-mail. Good show!

Cheers!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I got a reply to my email (RESULT) :D

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the naming of Vandegrift High School. The Leander ISD Board of Trustees held our sole July meeting on Thursday, July 17th, and took no action on - nor did we discuss - complaints about the Vandegrift High School name.

We have received many messages from our across our community, state and nation thanking us for naming Vandegrift High School on June 19th, and appreciate your note of support. We are proud of Matt, and feel that he will serve as an inspiration/role model for future Vandegrift High School students.

Thanks, again, for your input and support.

The Leander ISD Governance Team
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Great that you got a reply -- AND that you sent the e-mail too!

Glad to hear they "stuck to their guns". Thank God "ballz" aren't illegal yet!

(Lead balls, that is, this is a family-oriented forum...) :wink:

Tight groups,

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

GK -

I got the same reply. Glad they took the time - even with a form e-mail.

I thought about correcting them - telling them they also received international e-mails, but heck, the result was what we wanted, so no need to belabor the point! :wink: