Shot some buffalo this weekend

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Shot some buffalo this weekend

Post by earlmck »

Us Mid-Oregon Buffalo Shooters did our regular 4th weekend buffalo slaughter this past weekend. On Friday the first couple of matches are non-levers, but by the third match we shoot the "big lever" for which I have been trying out my Marlin 35 Remington. I took a third place this time which was somewhat better than I shot last time: Lee 210 grain bullet, 23 grains of 5744 for about 1750 fps. Finished the day with the "Little Q" where we shoot pistol cal levers (or single shots) at the mid-range targets of 3, 4, 5, and 600 yards. Skip put me back to second place with an amazing 5 hits off-hand at the 300 yard target (amazing because the wind was so fierce the kid here felt lucky to get his single hit). I did get the most hits ever (5 of the 8 shots) on the 600 yard buff, which has given me trouble because I think my little bullet is about at the end of it's stability there. M92 38/40 with 210 grain Accurate bullet, 26 grains RL7. A shot of us shooting the trapdoors: one guy shoots while the rest of us spot the shot.
ShootingTrapdoors0441.jpg
And here is Terry lining up a buffalo with his big lever.
422TerryAims.jpg

Saturday we shoot the buffalo guns, mid-range to 600 yards and long range to 1000 yards. I had the not-so-bright idea that I'd try the 400 grain Lee hollow base (that seems to be working well in my trapdoor) in the Pedersoli Sharps 45/70. Dang Italian gun didn't like that bullet much and I shot way back in the pack. We did get a new shooter on the leaders board this time: only his second shoot and he was second in the mid-range and took first in the long. Good to see some new blood in the game! Here's what the "firing line" looks like shooting the buffalo guns.
452FiringLineAtBuffaloShoot.jpg
Sunday we shoot the close stuff, 50 to 200 yards. The little Henry 22 (and favored CCI mini-mags) came within one hit of getting me a perfect score (we call it a "perfect" if we hit both sighters and all 5 for score at all 4 targets). My 19 was good for first, though. Then I couldn't hit for beans in the quarter-bore where my M92 25/20 with the 70 grain Arsenal and 8 grains of Lil' gun usually have me real competitive. Shot the trusty Win 38/40 again in the pistol-cal lever, this time using the same 210 grain Accurate bullet but the powder charge is a couple grains of Universal heating up a case full of W760 surplus powder to give a nice plinking velocity load. Off-hand in the wind did me in again and I came in second to Brownie and his deadly 44-40 Marlin. Here's a shot of the Henry with the Lyman sight JB welded to the aluminum shell on the receiver.
HenrywithLyman.jpg
It is good to burn some powder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Shot some buffalo this weekend

Post by piller »

Sounds like a lot of fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, glad you continue to have a ball at the COSSA range. I wish I had shot there more; those long-distance opportunities can be mighty hard to come by. By your description, it sounds like there is an actual Trapdoor relay. What a hoot! 8)
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Great write-up! Sounds like a blast. A man who will JB-Weld a gun sight can make anything work. Kudos
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:25 am By your description, it sounds like there is an actual Trapdoor relay. What a hoot! 8)
It's actually a "Military single-shot" match. Which ends up being mostly trapdoor Springfields. One of these days we'll get friend Butch's 43 Spanish rolling block going for him to join in. One of the fellows this time had a Winchester high-wall musket that was apparently sold to some National Guard units "back in the day", but all the top shooting this time was with the trapdoors.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

That sounds like a great time! I'm quite partial to the old military singleshots, particularly Trapdoors, rolling blocks, and the little Martini cadet. If I wasnt on the opposite coast I'd be there. The CBA does a big bore military bench rest postal match but it's just not the same as being on the firing line with the folks you're shooting against. Looks like a great gang of folks to shoot with.

Eric
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Looks fun.

Love the JB Weld mount.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
WOULD LOVE TO DO THAT!
Glad u had a great time!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS