Took the Rossi .357 Levergun To The Range This Morning

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Took the Rossi .357 Levergun To The Range This Morning

Post by JimT »

I sighted it in to hit POA at 50 yards. I used 3 different loads:

- 160 gr. cast FP @ 1500 +/- fps
- 158 gr. cast SWC @ 1500 +/- fps
- 125 gr. Speer JHP @ 2200 fps

The 125 gr. JHP hit basically the same POA as the heavier bullets which is pretty cool. And overall it was the most accurate today, though my shooting was nothing to write home about.

When I got back in the shop I checked the bore and it looked clean. I ran a bore snake through it several times, then pushed a .360" round ball through the barrel. When I measured it I got a bit over .355" on the micrometer, so I oiled the bore and pushed a Speer 125 gr. FMJ through the barrel. I indexed it so I could get it the same way each time and then oiled it and pushed it through the bore twice more.

The barrel seems a bit looser toward the chamber and that's not a bad thing. But the bore is tight. I don't mind that either but it may make a difference when working up loads. After 4 passes through the barrel the Speer FMJ mikes .3551" ... so I will probably break out my .356" die for the lubri-sizer.

The Bullet
IMG_3300.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Took the Rossi .357 Levergun To The Range This Morning

Post by .45colt »

:D .
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

.45colt wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:33 pm:D .
Yep, a bit on the tight side...
Merle from PA
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I don't mind a tight bore. If the rifling is good and consistent, tight bores are usually pretty accurate.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

way better than some of the loosey-goosey 'pistol caliber' leverguns out there...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Whether going for speed or not... a day at the range is relaxing... and if you're paying attention, a learning experience. I need to work on developing some loads suited to hunting for the C45S... This 1873 Short Rifle is just SO MUCH FUN to shoot!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Griff wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:22 pm Whether going for speed or not... a day at the range is relaxing... and if you're paying attention, a learning experience. I need to work on developing some loads suited to hunting for the C45S... This 1873 Short Rifle is just SO MUCH FUN to shoot!
I need to pick up some of those for the 480 Achilles. Gotta write myself a note and then have someone remind me to read it! :lol:
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim it never would have occurred to me to attempt to push a jacketed bullet through a rifle bore. How on earth did you index it if pushing from the chamber to the muzzle???
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:35 am Jim it never would have occurred to me to attempt to push a jacketed bullet through a rifle bore. How on earth did you index it if pushing from the chamber to the muzzle???
I start at the muzzle and go toward the chamber.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I would think that a gently tapered bore would be very good for cast bullets as long as the machine marks were smoothed out. Isn't this exactly what happens with a fire lapped bore?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:21 am I would think that a gently tapered bore would be very good for cast bullets as long as the machine marks were smoothed out. Isn't this exactly what happens with a fire lapped bore?
I think so .. pretty close anyway. I don't know how much larger it is at the breech .. a casting would be about the only way to tell for sure. The bullets being pushed through still have drag so it's not much.
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Gently tapered toward the muzzle-----that's the barrel I always hope to find, they are hard to come by.

Yes, a good fire lap job is supposed to do pretty much the same. My results from firing lapping have been iffy.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

ywaltzucanrknrl wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:30 am Gently tapered toward the muzzle-----that's the barrel I always hope to find, they are hard to come by.
Yes, a good fire lap job is supposed to do pretty much the same. My results from firing lapping have been iffy.
If you want a tapered bore .. in my limited experience it's best to hand-lap.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

A good day at range is often just what the Dr ordered! I just got back my myself, from confirming my sights with the new loads for my Mod 64. It was heavy overcast & calm, perfect for zeroing iron sights. I got em, I'm 😊.
But I don't have the knowledge most you'll do, about checking a bore. I've slugged both mine levers with a lead slug, but just really for a comparison.
But your last statement Jim, about the size conclusion, and the lubrisizer. That means you know what size now for your cast bullets preparation??
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Drawdown wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:50 am But your last statement Jim, about the size conclusion, and the lubrisizer. That means you know what size now for your cast bullets preparation??
No. It just means I am gonna try them. Oversize bullets don't necessarily harm accuracy. Some of the most accurate target pistols made had bores quite undersize. Some of the .22's were .2175" ... compare that to today's practices.

I will try them and see if there is a difference. If there is I don't expect it to be a large difference.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Ok, I understand 👍. Only thing I can add that I've noticed for sure. My 3 CZ 22's, all have bores that are significantly tighter. I have bunch 22's, have more experience with them than anything else. I quit trying to run a regular 22 Bore Snake thru it, you'll practically pull the string in 2 before you get it thru enough to grab the big part. I went to a .204 B.S. for them. And the regular patch on a jag that goes thru my others just fine, can't force it thru a CZ. They're very accurate. But I seen plenty other normal bores that are just as accurate!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

It seems to me that most .357 ammo shoots to the same point of impact at reasonable ranges. Not sure why that is, but it also seems that 5 gr of Unique behind a 158 gr cast bullet will group right in there with the .357 loads.

Some cartridges (the .45 Colt comes to mind) are much different in that higher velocity loads (given the same bullet) can shoot much lower in my experience.