First Marlin 1894

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
High Desert Hunter
Levergunner 1.0

First Marlin 1894

Post by High Desert Hunter »

In the last year, my lever action family has grown, I inherited my Grandfather's Winchester 94 in 32 Winchester Special, it was a rifle he carried while prospecting in Alaska, and while a horesback in Eastern Oregon. It was purchased new by my Great Grandad in 1926, it see mostly lower end cast bullet loads. My latest addition I found in the Albuquerque Cabelas, a Marlin 1894 in 32-20, it is used, and it was shot an not cleaned, to include a leaded bore. Spent a couple hours try to get all of the lead out, hoping to run some rounds through it tomorrow. It has a medallion in the buttstock which indicates it is a limited edition, I bought it because it goes with a Blackhawk convertible I own that an older local gentleman had butchered for cowboy action shooting, has a 32 H&R cylinder as well as the 32-20 cylinder, I have only really used the 32-20 as the other cylinder has really tight throats. Hoping this rifle shoots well, as I have visions of teaching grandsons how to shoot with it.

Dave
Marlin 1894 32-20.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: First Marlin 1894

Post by AJMD429 »

Oooh.... a nice pair that will be.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

If you decide to get rid of that 32 mag cylinder, please keep me in mind!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

It ain't nuttin too open the throats......same as groove diameter or a thou. over.

Your Marlin CL will be an excellent shooter....should put cast into 2" at 100.....you can mount a scope for load development as it's d&t ed for bases.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I bought one during the last ammo shortage and loaded it with Lymans 115 gr flat point over 4 gr of Unique powder. It Shot 1170 fps and inside a 1 1/4 at 65 yards with the tang sight. I used it for plinking and shot it into a bullet trap and recycled the lead. I also shot some coyotes and woodchucks with it and understand why they were behind a lot of doors up until WWII.
I have a scope on it now and its zeroed for 115 gr hollow points over 10 gr of Alliant 2400 with hopes of calling some coyotes in.
Enjoy it, its a great tool!!
High Desert Hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Thanks everyone! I'm thinking that on the pistol, I may have the 32 H&R cylinder chambered for the 327 Federal, it's a full size Blackhawk, so more than enough meat. I had planned to shoot the new acquisition today, but life had other plans, will give it a go next weekend. I am looking at 115gr bullet molds, with the short throat, I will have to be choosy.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Although I'm a 99% cast bullet shooter, those .312 jacketed bullets designed for the 32 mag are tack drivers.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have both the 32-20 & the .218 Bee , I picked up the Bee at a gun shop for a song. with a Marlin sling and ammo. it was filthy dirty. they had no clue what they had. after an hour it cleaned up into an 80% gun. Good Luck. They are shooters.
High Desert Hunter
Levergunner 1.0

I really like the Marlin rifles, my 1895GS has such a great trigger, it shoots way more accurate than I'm capable of. The 25-20 would be the bee's knees!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

High Desert Hunter wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:18 pm I really like the Marlin rifles, my 1895GS has such a great trigger, it shoots way more accurate than I'm capable of. The 25-20 would be the bee's knees!
Wouldn't the 218 Bee be the 'bees knees'...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
High Desert Hunter
Levergunner 1.0

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:37 pm
High Desert Hunter wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:18 pm I really like the Marlin rifles, my 1895GS has such a great trigger, it shoots way more accurate than I'm capable of. The 25-20 would be the bee's knees!
Wouldn't the 218 Bee be the 'bees knees'...???
Touche!
This rifle was just a bad idea. I've spent the last year working on my log range shooting, a 45 2.1 Sharps, and a modern bolt gun, one I used to ring the white buffalo at the Whittington Center 4.5 hours North of me, the other has gotten me to withing 72 yards of a mile. Now my lever action sickness has flared up, I've been re-watching all of the Sagebrush Longshot videos on Utoob. I am getting ready to email Hornady to see if they have any data for their 100gr XTP and 300-MP powder. I have a decent amount of it and AA-9, I am hoarding my last few pounds of Unique. Anyhow, thanks for all of the kind words.

Dave Beeman
High Desert Hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Hornady was a big fat zero. I was thinking about trying 2400, but I am down to my last pound.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Try Alliant??? 300 MP acts a lot like Lil'gun, at least in 454 Casull the loads are virtually identical. If you found some Lil'gun loads that could give you some approximate data I bet to start. 300 MP defies the QuickLoad predictive algorithm due to its chemical composition otherwise I would try to help. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
High Desert Hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Thanks! I will fire off an email to Alliant. In other cartridges I have used it successfully as a replacement for H110, but I also have load data for them.
High Desert Hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Well I took advantage of the later daylight, skipped the after work brew with my buddy, and ran out to the nearest shooting spot. I’m still smiling, I understand why this was such a popular cartridge, so much fun to shoot. I need to put it on a bench with bags before I judge the accuracy, the cast bullets and AA9 were good, the XTPs over Unique were good, and the XTPs over AA9 were decent. The XTPs over 300-MP were good, but too warm, will back that off by at least half a grain. I am going to spend some time trimming brass and doing better case prep. I shot all of the powder coated cast bullets before shooting the jacketed just so I didn’t have to worry about copper fouling. I really think a Skinner sight will help, I just am not used to the Buckhorn style sights.
High Desert Hunter
Levergunner 1.0

3BCF389C-7B47-4589-B56C-393E83326388.jpeg
Shake and bake .312s.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.