Magazine mania

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Magazine mania

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have just not ever been able to get into modern striker-fired handguns. I know they work, and work well, but they just don't float my boat. I guess it is kind of like ice cream. A lot of good flavors out there and you just gravitate to the ones you personally like. Me, I like the 1911. And the Hi-Power. I might get as modern as the M92. But that's pushing it. :wink:

Anyway, one thing I will say for a lot of the companies making these, and aftermarket parts guys, is I do like the modern basepads on magazines. They often have dimples you can fill in to properly mark your magazines. I have found this practice very helpful.

I do have a foundness for large-capacity 1911-style pistols. Fit my hand nicely. So, I have a ton of Para magazines for the P12.45, P13.45 and P14.45 that I mysteriously lost in the same darn boating accident along with all my other guns. :oops: What to do? Mark them! But a simple sharpie mark won't do for me. So I drilled a small dimple in each base pad and filled them with silver model paint. Really stands out. And to differentiate the magazines? I added a slightly larger dimple and color-coded them: red (stupid Clinton-era 10-rounders :evil: ), green (P12.45), blue (P13.45) and gold (P14.45). Worked like a charm! :D

Here they all are lined up nice and pretty...

And here are the ones for the P13.45 (closer look):

Oh, and though these were factory-original magazines - Canadian production too - the mag springs suck. I replaced them all with Wolff Gun Springs. :D

Another pandemic-induced project...
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Re: Magazine mania

Post by KWK »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:24 pm I have just not ever been able to get into modern striker-fired handguns.
I just can't get into semi-automatics. I don't like chasing brass. I've one S&W revolver, and that will do.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Looks like a set of dominoes... :D

I only have three double stack 1911. A Para Ordnance p12, a Para Ordnance p14, and a Rock Island armory 14 rounder, so I only have a couple p12 magazines and maybe eight of the p14s. I did snag three or four aftermarket 20 rounders though, which only stick out a couple of inches, unlike the ridiculously long single-stack magazines that only hold 15 rounds. The 20-rounder magazines are perfect to use in a double stack 1911 if you have a Mech-Tech 'upper'; that's a very easy way to wind up with a 20 round semi-automatic carbine that is much lighter weight than a Thompson 45, rattles off 20 rounds of 45 ACP as fast as you can pull the trigger, and probably costs about a tenth of the price.
IMG_20220312_170826490~2.jpg
In case you can't tell, I'm trying to give you a case of MechTech-envy to get you back for the Magazine-envy you gave me since I have nowhere near as many magazines... :D

Like you, I really prefer the double stack magazine guns in 45 ACP just because they feel better in my hand. I have long skinny fingers. The funny thing is that if you measure the circumference of the grips of a double stack 45 versus a single stack I think it's only something like 3/16 of an inch difference.

And I also share your disdain for striker fired guns, be they handguns or long guns. If at all possible I want the hammer exposed so I know what condition it's in and can control it. (If somebody made a semi-automatic rifle with an exposed Hammer I probably would be one dumb enough to buy it... :lol: )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

when i lived in alaska i provided game for my family with a revolver, a levergun, and a bolt gun. i also have a shotgun but can't hit anything with it.

when we moved to the "lower 48" to be closer to our children, and now grand children, i became aware of the common "home invasion crew" strategy of kicking in a door with 4 or more players. obviously i was seriously out-gunned. and decided that i would adapt to that threat level.

i chose semi-auto hand guns in nato calibers. i chose a rifle in a nato caliber because the 20 round mags are cheap. [the scots-irish genes?] i chose a rifle in a little nato caliber because i can. my idea was that if the entire society goes ukraine on me, i can re-arm with pick-ups until i'm killed. i have spears and arrows if it comes to that.

to me it's a matter of not wanting to be the first one to run out of ammo. :)

Last edited by Grizz on Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

What's a striker fired handgun? :oops:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Griff wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:49 pm What's a striker fired handgun? :oops:
idk, a pistol perhaps. maybe one without an external hammer. idk, i'm not up on all the latest lingo . . . :lol:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Hammers, isn't that why God gave us thumbs... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:20 pm Hammers, isn't that why God gave us thumbs... :D
Yes John, I firmly believe that is true! :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I live in a State which does not recognize Unions. We don't worry about strikers.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:24 pm ...that I mysteriously lost in the same darn boating accident along with all my other guns. :oops:
Glad you survived the capsizing Jay. :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

margarita.jpg
Oops! I misread the title. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Griff wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:49 pm What's a striker fired handgun? :oops:
Anybody here ever hear of an old little toy called the Colt Vest Pocket in cal. .25ACP? That little buggar is also striker fired. It's an old little thing designed by somebody by the last name of Browning. :mrgreen:
Marlin2henry
Levergunner

Post by Marlin2henry »

Never thought I'd be forgiving Mr. Browning!