Have not seen this before

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Have not seen this before

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I see some pretty weird -looking cases -- or remnants of cases -- at the county shooting range where I work part-time. But this was a new one on me. Still trying to figure out what happened, but guessing the shooter's firearm was not fully in battery.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Have not seen this before

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Yep, thats what it looks like. I wonder what kind of gun those were shot in?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

i wonder if there is crud in the chamber or some other type of obstruction
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I was thinking a squib load might also have caused this. Can't quite read the extractor and ejector marks.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Interesting that they did not blow. Maybe target velocity loads?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Almost looks like the gun was a Long chamber and they tried a Long Rifle in it... but that wouldn't allow the bolt to close, let alone fire.
Or it fired on an open bolt. My Ruger Mk2 did that with Russian ammo I had years ago.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The T headstamp usually is TULA .. Russian .... though Spain and Switzerland both have companies that produce ammo with a T headstamp.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The stuff I had was steel case, subsonic and a squib during rapid fire ruined a fantastic match grade Shilen barrel I had on a 10/22., ringed the barrel at about 12" from the chamber.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:14 pm The stuff I had was steel case, subsonic and a squib during rapid fire ruined a fantastic match grade Shilen barrel I had on a 10/22., ringed the barrel at about 12" from the chamber.
Did you try it for accuracy before you removed the barrel? A friend's son ringed the barrel on his Gold Cup ... my dad turned the barrel down so the gun would function and we shot it. With the ringed barrel it would still shot near an inch at 25 yards.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The barrel was an easy 1/2 gun at 75 yards with CCI Greentag, after the stupidity of putting that ruski junk in it it wouldn't hold 3" at 25 with the Greentag. I gave it to a buddy that had it turned into a sbr with suppressor. I since put a Volquarstez carbon fiber wrapped barrel on it and it good but no where near as accurate as that Shilen was.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Anything more powerful than a . 22 and it probably would have ruptured the case. Yikes.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

piller wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:01 pm Anything more powerful than a . 22 and it probably would have ruptured the case. Yikes.
I'm surprised it didn't. I have had .22 Long Rifle cases blow ..
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Yes. I had an old Stevens Favorite that was a little loose. I let a friend shoot it. A CCI case ruptured and he caught a small piece of brass in the eyebrow. Surprising amount of blood.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:54 pm Yes. I had an old Stevens Favorite that was a little loose. I let a friend shoot it. A CCI case ruptured and he caught a small piece of brass in the eyebrow. Surprising amount of blood.
HA! It was an old Stevens Favorite that got me. I was rebuilding it but did not change the screw that the breechblock rotated on. It set back and the case blew .. straight up .. a few inches in front of my nose. I immediately was dizzy and could not stand up. That was the start of the cicada's singing in my head.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:18 am I see some pretty weird -looking cases -- or remnants of cases -- at the county shooting range where I work part-time. But this was a new one on me. Still trying to figure out what happened, but guessing the shooter's firearm was not fully in battery.
That happened to me once many years ago with a T/C Benchmark semi-auto .22 -- found out afterwards that it could fire with the bolt out of battery by almost 1/8". :shock:

If I recall, something from the brush I was pushing through fell into the open action while I was chasing after (and shooting at) a wasscally wabbit.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, you've got cicadas, too? :lol:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My grandfather's Winchester 63 will do that if it's not kept clean. The one time that it happened while I was shooting it the case did rupture. My ears were ringing for days!
That little rife has has so much use that it started give us little 3-4 shot bursts. It was fun while it lasted, but my dad got it fixed before anyone got into trouble. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Could it be someone firing a 22lr in a 22 mag chamber?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

barbarossa wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:23 am Could it be someone firing a 22lr in a 22 mag chamber?
No sir. I do that every once in awhile ... usually to show folks what happens. They don't swell like that and often the case splits. The ones that Bill posted at the beginning of this thread could have been fired in a chamber for .22 Shorts where the rifling begins sooner and would hold the cartridge back .. Or, perhaps these just have a very long and fat bullet and someone tried them in a match-chambered LR gun in which the disconnect is poorly timed, allowing the hammer to release when the bolt is not fully closed. .... Or the striker fell when the round was not fully chambered and still managed to set off the priming .... Or, the striker fell and it was a delayed ignition and the shooter started to open the bolt just as the charge finally ignited.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Jim, your last guess on a delayed ignition and bolt opening on firing sounds quite likely to me...
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:47 am Jim, your last guess on a delayed ignition and bolt opening on firing sounds quite likely to me...
I received those tips from Mic McPherson after I sent him photos that Bill posted. I was thinking along those same lines but Mic always has something I did not think of to throw in the mix.