2020 WI deer hunt 99 Savage

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

2020 WI deer hunt 99 Savage

Post by BenT »

This about my 2020 deer hunt with the Savage 99 in 250 Savage. I have been sitting with my Nephew the last couple years. This is the first time he is sitting by himself. I was sitting about 200 yards farther down the ridge. I was sitting 8 feet up in tree stand about 75 yards down from the top of the ridge on the hillside. It was opening day and I seen the doe parade come through about three times by 9 AM and then nothing the rest of the day. I was in my stand around 3:30 when a solo doe came through being pushed around by this small buck. They went on top of the ridge and stirred up the leaves from time to time enough to think something new was coming through. But it was this busy buck. My nephew and BIL had not seen any bucks either. Finally after an hour of this, seen the doe come to the edge of the ridge. I had my scope on the doe and decided if this buck comes over to the edge I will shoot, Well he did and at about 75 yards I pulled the trigger and he dropped in his tracks. I am thinking that is pretty good for a 100 gr bullet.

You can see in the see in the picture where he was shot. Right behind the from leg. I was eager to skin him out and look for the bullet. Like I said I was pointing up hill to the top of ridge when I shot. Well I spined him, that his why he dropped in his tracks, that is how steep the hill is. What was left of the bullet was found on the off side about a inch and half from the spine. It hit the offside rib and exploded rupturing the spine.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 2020 WI deer hunt 99 Savage

Post by .45colt »

Awesome !! Congrats. :D .
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Classic rifle and classic cartridge, no surprise it makes meat. 🙂
NRA Life Member
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Nice shot! Great rifle.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Great gun, catridge, and meat. Congrats!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Love your rifle, and your shot description is just about a duplicate of my last kill in 2019 with my Mod 64 30-30, uphill also. It didn't break the spine, but done enough damage that he dropped in his tracks.
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

BenT, there's a short article and pic in this month's Petersens Hunting about a 99 with a Lyman Sight in 250 Savage. That's a rifle I never had the opportunity to even be around, but obviously may well be the best hunting rifle of them all! It's no doubt so close it's just a matter of opinion between a very few!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Drawdown wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:40 pm BenT, there's a short article and pic in this month's Petersens Hunting about a 99 with a Lyman Sight in 250 Savage. That's a rifle I never had the opportunity to even be around, but obviously may well be the best hunting rifle of them all! It's no doubt so close it's just a matter of opinion between a very few!
I just read the article. I will have to gather up some pictures and make a post about this 250 Savage. A 99 Savage straight grip carbine in 250 was a gun I looked for may years to find.