"DIY" Drilling or Combo Gun Cartridge Wallet

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

"DIY" Drilling or Combo Gun Cartridge Wallet

Post by Old No7 »

Those fine craftsman over in Germany make some really nice leather wallets sized to hold the various cartridges that are commonly used in Drilling or Combination Guns. Here on this side of the pond, most ammo carriers are for one size only: rimfire, centerfire or shotgun. With my Drilling -- I really need "all three".

I exchanged emails with a well known German distributor, but unless I order 500 Euro worth of product and cover all the import fees and shipping, I'm simply not going to get the 45 Euro combo cartridge wallet that I want from them... So instead, I made one for just $10.00.

Well, OK, I cheated -- and used ballistic nylon, not leather.

​This is what I started with, a brand new "Uncle Mike's Folding Handgun Cartridge Carrier 12 Rounds Nylon Black 88441" that I got from eBay for $10.00 delivered. Here is what it looked like "before", from the auction's ad.
Ammo Pouch a before.jpg
I then opened up two pairs of the sewn shell loops on the lower flap with a seam ripper. Oh, it ripped really good on the first one! Oops... It tore the middle area out, instead of cutting just the threads... So I had to heat the rough edges to seal them, and then sew it closed with a seam at the top. This one actually holds the 16 gauge shell tighter than the shotgun shell loop on the left, where I was much more careful with the seam ripper. I might have to sew in a slightly pinched seam at the middle of that one later, but I didn't do it yet.

So here is what it looks like now -- all loaded with (6) 22 Mags for my Einstecklauf (rifle barrel insert set in the right 16 ga bore), (2) 8mm Mauser and (2) 2.5" 16 gauge shotshells.
Ammo Pouch b after.jpg

OK, I will admit it doesn't exude "class" like a custom leather one would, but it does work and is fully functional. My German Drilling is capable of hunting any game that's open in the Maine woods in the fall -- all from just one gun -- and now all the ammo is in one convenient pouch.

Maybe I'm not the only one who needs to carry more than one caliber at a time, so if that's you too; then this might be helpful.

Old No7​
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: "DIY" Drilling or Combo Gun Cartridge Wallet

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Good and practical.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You are a lot less likely to wind up with green cartridges with what you made then you would with a leather one.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That is sweet! What a great way to solve the challenge!!! :D
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Brilliant, $10 very well spent..... 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

excellent work !
cable
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice job pard looks great. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.