Thinking About Selling A M71 And a 94 Or Two.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Adobe Walls
Levergunner

Thinking About Selling A M71 And a 94 Or Two.

Post by Adobe Walls »

Howdy.

Yes, it's the same Adobe Walls that used to hang around on the old leverguns board. As I've said in the past: the rumours of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Unfortunately my financial demise IS looming and short of divine intervention, a lottery win or a darned fine paying job real soon I'm going to have to part with a few of my prized posessions inherited from my Dad who passed away about 7 years ago. I'd much rather hang on to them, but when the wolf at the door isn't the type that can be taken care of with a well placed 200 grain .348 Silvertip....well anyway you all get the picture.
The M71 is a late 50's production Winchester with a Lyman receiver sight. It's in VG condition with the exception of the sling swivels that will need rebluing. IF I sell it, it will be with all the ammo, brass, dies, and bullets of which I'd have to tally to be sure of what I have on hand.
Of the 94's that I might consider selling, one is an octagon barrel rifle in .30 WCF from around 1903 (IIRC) It's only in fair condition with a ring in the barrel that my Dad missed when he aquired it sometime in the 80's. With the ring in the barrel, it would probably make a great candidate for conversion to a short rifle and a restoration. The bore is good otherwise.
The other 94 is the same configuration, 20's production .25/35 WCF in good to VG condition. IF I sell it, it will be with ammo, brass, dies, and bullets.
Just not sure what I want to do right now, but something is going to have to change quick or I'm going be badly pinched real soon.
BTW, I also have some Navajo rugs as well just in case someone here is knowledgeable or interested in those things. I would prefer to sell the rugs and keep the Winchesters, as would anyone else here I'm sure.
Comments, questions, and prayers on my behalf are welcome. Thank you all. AW
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Re: Thinking About Selling A M71 And a 94 Or Two.

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Bummer...! :x

I sure hope you don't have to sell the stuff you acquired from you dad. But, if you do, I'm sure he would understand considering the dire straits.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Let's just hope and pray that doesn't have to happen. Been there, done that and it's never any fun.
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Welcome back and prayers are up for you.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Sorry about your financial situation. Been there and done that. I've sold my guns before to pay bills, and the bills came back again next month. Then I had nothing to sell. Keep the guns, don't sell your inheritance. If you do, you WILL regret it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
runfiverun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by runfiverun »

some of those rugs are worth quite a bit of money
it just depends on which ones you got kinda like guns
same model 1,000 dollars difference.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Sorry to hear of your situation, I've been very close a few times.

How long has the 71 been in the family? I'd like to hear more about it, the family history, and the gun. Do you know what model Lyman receiver sight it is?

I may be interested in the 71, IF I get this house sold.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Maybe if you posted some pics of the rugs someone around here could identify them, and maybe buy them? I'd much rather sell a rug than my Dad's guns. I once knew of a man in a similar situation, bought a pistol from him understanding that he would be able to buy it back if/when his situation improved. I helped him out without giving him "chairity".
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Adobe Walls
Levergunner

Post by Adobe Walls »

Howdy.
Thanks for the comebacks and prayers. I was just about to take the rugs to an auction house up in the Buckeye, but the dept. coordinator said they had so many rugs consigned for the next auction that there were concerns that they might cause somewhat of a glut in one sale and negatively affect the prices of the entire rug auction. I appreciate the honesty. I guess the rug collection is worth maybe $7000 or so, based on their review of the photos. I got some leads on a few other places to sell them so I'll explore that a bit further. It certainly wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion either. So many variables when it comes to speciality items to affect the value.

As for the family history on that M71 .348, my Dad bought it sometime in the 80's at the old Bagnell Dam gunshow at the Lake of the Ozarks. We bought the Lyman peep currently on it at a gunshow in Colorado. I've probably fired about 60-100 rounds throught it and took a nice 3X3 muley buck with it sometime in the 90's. It escaped fire damage when I suffered a house fire about 3 years ago, although the sling swivels were on the work bench and lost their bluing from extinguisher residue. I'll post more later.AW