Any long-range sixgunners here?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Any long-range sixgunners here?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

It has been years since I put in some time shooting a .44 magnum out to 200-ish from Elmer Keith's classic braced back position. It was fun, and I have good memories of it. My favorite sixgun for this use was the open-sighted Ruger Super Blackhawk with 10 1/2-inch barrel. The long sight radius was very helpful and the weight and balance made recoil manageable with the heaviest loads.

Here is Elmer in two of his back positions. I am referring to the one in the second photo.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2009...rate-shooting/

Re: Any long-range sixgunners here?

Post by 2ndovc »

My Best handgun shot was with a Ruger SBH from my second floor deck at my last place whacking woodchucks. I walked off 244 paces from the back porch. Best rifle shot was from the same deck at 436 paces with a Sako in .222 Remington. Most accurate rifle I have and that bugger turned into a pink mist in the scope.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nice work Jason!
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

before my eyes gave out I shot IHMSA metallic silhouettes out to 200 meters.
mostly I used a 6" Dan Wesson 357 mag, and a Ruger old model Blackhawk in 45 Colt.

then I discovered TC Contenders... :mrgreen:
Merle from PA
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

At The Shootists Holiday we regularly shoot targets out to 600 yards or more using everything from open-sighted sixguns (I used my 41 Magnum) to a wide variety of custom handguns with optics.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

At my favorite range in CA there was a Range Officer named "Charlie". While he'd shoot at a man-hole cover that hung about 500 yards downrange with his 1911, bettin' some yahoo the day's shooting fee on the outcome... Yahoo's rarely won, usually paying twice the daily fee to shoot!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I opened up an appliance box years ago and moved back to around 600 yards. Fired a few cylinders out of my FA .454 at it. Even managed to hit it a few times! Cant say as I've tried since then.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I done a lot of NRA Hunter Silhouette (100 yard off hand shooting) years ago. I worked up to Triple A class but that with a Contender and Smith and Wesson Model 41 both scoped. However, I shot with revolvers, thru double A Class, that a 1911 in 45acp.

I done a lot of long range plinking with both Ruger singleactions and smith double actions out to a couple of hundred yards or so. I used the methods outlined by Elmer Keith a lot back then as far as sight picture, etc.

I keep an IDPA gong with an 8 inch flapper in the middle of it, hung up, in my field, about a 100 yards from the yard for pistol shooting practice. I can hit that 8 inch flapper pretty regular, even with guns as small as a Smith and Wesson Shield.

Never under estimate a good man with a pistol, even at long range. Elmer Keith proved it many times, but it doesn't take super human abilities, plenty of practiced handgun shooters can do the same thing.
NRA Life Member, Patron
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

There used to be an open field near my parents house that people used to practice hitting golf balls. My older brothers and I would pick up the leftover golf balls. When we went to Grandma's farm, we took them and shot at them with Dad's Ruger Standard Model. We threw the gold ball as far as we could, and started shooting. If we could see it, we could hit it. Open sights and off hand. Probably out over 100 yards. I don't remember Dad or Uncle Homer ever missing one.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I cheat.....I have a Contender 14" in 223, and a Ruger Charger.... :mrgreen:

But I really respect you guys who can take a 'normal' handgun and hit 'way out there'...! 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I shot a few rounds of IHMSA silhouette, but with scoped Contenders from the Creedmoor. This was prior to three back surgeries. I'd need help getting up now.
But I need to go to my local toy store and ask if I can borrow an SBH and get into the braced back position to determine if I can still see the irons (or put one of those iris thingies on my specs).
I miss fooling with sixguns. It doesn't seem normal.

:lol:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I never head to the range with a handgun without playing with them at long range eventually. I've shot dingers out to 450 yds. successfully, but it usually takes me 6-8 shots to get back on again once I haven't been out shooting for awhile.
It's harder for me to shoot long range without some aiming points above the target. I've not done well with holding higher on the sight once I get past about 150 yds. For truly long shots I pick a bush, tree limb, or good sized rock above the target to sight in on. Once I see my first strike I can adjust whatever direction I need from the false target above the dinger, and get closer, or on the dinger. When I get my sights set on the false target above and get a ding, it's just a matter of repetition of the same aiming point after that.
Shooting long distance is fun with any iron sighted rifle or handgun. But handguns at distance are always a bit more fun to me.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:10 amBut I need to go to my local toy store and ask if I can borrow an SBH and get into the braced back position to determine if I can still see the irons (or put one of those iris thingies on my specs).
I miss fooling with sixguns. It doesn't seem normal.
Go for it. SOMEHOW there is a way, even if you have to invent a NEW shooting position or sighting method. 'Necessity' is often how new things get figured out. Nobody told Jimmy Hendrix "You can't play a guitar that way...!" :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Awhile back, when I was shooting lots more, I could, offhand, bounce a pop can at 100-ish yards about half the time....Not that good, but, really good fun. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

It really doesn't take a certain caliber, or type of handgun to have fun shooting long distance. It does take a fairly accurate handgun, or it will be frustrating. I've used both revolvers and semiauto handguns, and calibers from the little .22LR to .45 Colt. My favorites are my 1911A1 and my S&W Model 59 9mm. Both have great sights, and are repeatable once you zero in on the target.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/