OT: Ft Wayne In. info

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Ft Wayne In. info

Post by JReed »

Well I have had a possible change in orders and may be going to the Ft Wayne area instead of Indianapolis. Can any of the Indiana brothers give me some info about the area?

Thanks
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Ft Wayne In. info

Post by Pete44ru »

It's FLAT, brother ! :wink:

( And a lot of RV's are made there, too ! )
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Pete44ru wrote:It's FLAT, brother ! :wink:

( And a lot of RV's are made there, too ! )
LOL
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Well, you'll be closer to me.

I've never gone over there, but my dad does fairly frequently. IIRC it's about 1.5hrs from me, so that's about 2.5 hrs from The Empire of Daley and his Obamanation... straight West on I-80.

OTOH, on the Indiana Hunting Forums that side of the state seems to do pretty well when it comes to deer.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Jeremy -

It has been a long time since I've been in Ft. Wayne. Had a buddy move up there when I was young, so I started driving up there some weekends while in high school (late 70's/early 80's). Had another friend from college who came from Ft. Wayne, so hit the town a few times then. Second largest city in Indiana behind Indianapolis, which is about 2 hours southwest. Several large schools - they were a football powerhouse back in my day. An industrial town back then - not sure now. As noted - flat as a board in every direction for hours! Cost of living should be a vast - VAST - improvement over Kalifornia!

Good luck - keep us posted! :D
cavemike
Levergunner

Post by cavemike »

I have a bunch of relatives that live in that area. One of my cousins is career National Guard up there.

That idiot Helmke from the Brady Bunch was the mayor there. I am not sure of the politics there now.

The fishing is really good, there are lots of natural lakes within an hours drive. Although I don't hunt up there, I understand that the deer are plentiful and good sized. You will have to get to know the landowners as the area is primarily farmland. Corn and soybeans are what is grown.

If you would have any specific questions I can try to answer them.

Mike
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yep, it's flat! Maybe one of the more liberal big cities in Indiana, but it isn't that big, and isn't that liberal.

Tell them you want that Avon post! (It's a REALLY long commute from Centerton IN (where I live) to Fort Wayne!)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

JReed,

Forum member OD lives there. You might PM him for some current up to date info. My wife was born and grew up there but she's been away for a couple decades and things have changed.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

AJ
I'll give them a call today to find out why the change hopefully its a typo.

Joe
I'll drop him a line latter this afternoon and see what he has to say.

Thanks
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Just as boring as Ohio :D
My Grandmother's family comes from the area.

Surrounded by large farming communities. Decent deer hunting, lots of woodchucks and other varmints. Not all that far from Lake Mich&Erie.

Weather goes from unbelievably cold to unbareable humidity. Sometimes in the course of 24 hours!

Don't know much about Ft. Wayne itself but it can't be much different than most Midwest cities. And that ain't all that bad.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Jeremy, I live about 25 miles south west of Ft. Wayne. It's a nice city as far as cities go. The area around is basic flat farm ground. The deer are plentiful and usually good sized (corn and soybean fed). There are several thousand acres of state owned property in this area with three large reservoirs of several hundred acres, (Salamonie, Mississenawa, Huntington now called Reusch Lake). Fishing, camping, hiking, hunting, horse trails, snow mobile trails, biking trails (non-motorized) are allowed. There is a state run outdoor shooting range at the Huntington res.. There are several festivals held in the area also, German Fest & Muddy River Run are 2 that come to mind in Ft, Wayne. Heritage Days and Pioneer Festival In Huntington, James Dean Festival in Gas City, Mississenawa 1812 battle reenactment near Marion. There are several gun shows in the area, the bigger ones are held in The War Memorial Coliseum in Ft.wayne and several around in the smaller towns, most within an hour or so drive....As far as Ft.Wayne its self you can probably find anything you might need as far as goods and entertainment. As far as the education system I don't know much about other than what I hear on the news some excellant some not so hot. It has the normal crime problems as any city but not near as bad as bigger cities, the south and east sides of Ft. Wayne being the worst. The north and west sides are booming with new construction, housing, hospitals, business etc.....the housing can run pretty steep depending on what you are used to. There are several colleges and universities around also.....this getting kind of long winded so I will get off now...I guess I'm saying Ft.Wayne area "aint" so bad...I"ve been here for over 20 years now and I grew up in a lot smaller place in southern Illinois.......if you have any specific questions I will try to answer them. By the way Ft. Wayne has a very nice zoo, and nice museums and botanical gardens to visit. You can e-mail me at mokwaw@yahoo.com
UNITE
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I spent some time in the Fremont/Angola area about 10 yrs ago and would run down to Ft Wayne now and again to some industrial supply houses (Grainger, MSC) for things for work.

Ft. Wayne has lost a lot of manufacturing jobs in the electronics, auto parts, and auto assembly industries to name a few. As mentioned above, the south and east sections can be rough. North and West are booming with construction in townhouses, single-family homes, restaurants, shopping centers, etc.

Surrounding area is mostly flat farmland, but there's lots of nice smaller communities all around Ft Wayne, great places to find a home without too much of a commute to the city. Larger towns have natural gas service, but get much out of town and you'll have a big white, tan, or gray LP tank in your yard that's expensive to keep filled.

Summers are hot and humid with the predictable afternoon thunderstorm each day. Tornadoes and alerts are common. Winters are cold and blowy, with a good bit of snow.

Big change from SoCal, but IN gun laws are among most pro-gun of all states. The "Indy 1500" show west of Indianapolis is one of the larger gun shows in the country.

Semper Fi, and best of luck,

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

I'm there 4 - 6 times a year on business. I like it. Small city... stuff to do... nice people.

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

The only thing I ever liked about Indiana was the people. Friendly girls. :wink:

Other than that, cold wet winters suck.

While I have lived in Texas, not a single vehicle has sped by to splatter even a single drop of dirty gray street-slush onto my warm dry self.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Cool thanks for the info on the gun shows. Y'all will be seeing me there just look for the Marine in uniform. We will look into the north west area as y'all suggest to see what we can come up with.
Thanks for the help
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Ft Wayne In. info update 7/08/08

Post by JReed »

Well we found a place just north of Ft Wayne between the Fort and Auburn. Nice log home on 2 acres out in the country. Its nice to have a home. Now we just need to call the movers in the morning and set up to have them deliver our stuff.

Just to let you locals know I am going to be hitting you all up for some places to hunt this deer season. Once we get unpacked y'all are welcome over for BBQ.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

JReed wrote:...Just to let you locals know I am going to be hitting you all up for some places to hunt this deer season. Once we get unpacked y'all are welcome over for BBQ.
Good luck there. I live too close to Chicago, within a large "Bow Only" Urban Deer Zone and don't know any land owners south of I-94. You will probably have better luck networking than I will - AND, if you live on 2 acres you can likely successfully hunt your own property.

OTOH, if you have a Hunter's Safety Card, as soon as you get an IN Drivers License, get a Hunting License and I will put you on my lottery application for the Dunes State Park Reduction Hunt.

Even if we get Drawn, there's no guarantees, but I did pop two nice does within 35 feet and a few seconds of each other last year... :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Old Ironsights wrote:
JReed wrote:...OTOH, if you have a Hunter's Safety Card, as soon as you get an IN Drivers License, get a Hunting License and I will put you on my lottery application for the Dunes State Park Reduction Hunt.

Even if we get Drawn, there's no guarantees, but I did pop two nice does within 35 feet and a few seconds of each other last year... :wink:
Nice thing about active mil and stationed here I dont need to get a In. DL to get a res hunting license all I need is my orders Mil I.D. and my huters safety card. :D .

That sound great about the Dunes I hope we get drawn. Is it archery, firearms, or ML?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

JReed wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:
JReed wrote:...OTOH, if you have a Hunter's Safety Card, as soon as you get an IN Drivers License, get a Hunting License and I will put you on my lottery application for the Dunes State Park Reduction Hunt.

Nice thing about active mil and stationed here I dont need to get a In. DL to get a res hunting license all I need is my orders Mil I.D. and my huters safety card. :D .

That sound great about the Dunes I hope we get drawn. Is it archery, firearms, or ML?
Your pick. They don't care. All they want is dead deer. Last year you got to shoot/keep up to three (max one antlered) in addition to any tags you bought for the rest of the season. I have a "climber" treestand, but have never used it. I like walking on "patrol". :wink:

Here's the Regs: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/3188.htm
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

OI whats a tree stand? :wink: :lol: I have a 50 state battery and can hunt in any clime and place with a choice of weapons. I just picked up a PSE compound bow I also have a .50 ML and a 94 trapper in .45colt. So as you can see I am set for Indiana deer :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Glad you found a spot to rest your feet at night!!! :D
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Somebody probably already said this...it's flat. The high spot is the overpass on the freeway, you can probably see OI hang'n out is window on the west side of the state.
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

JReed wrote:Well we found a place just north of Ft Wayne between the Fort and Auburn. Nice log home on 2 acres out in the country. Its nice to have a home. Now we just need to call the movers in the morning and set up to have them deliver our stuff.

Just to let you locals know I am going to be hitting you all up for some places to hunt this deer season. Once we get unpacked y'all are welcome over for BBQ.
That is a real nice area Jeremy, congratulations. Once you get to hunting the area, you'll find it really isn't flat. :wink:
Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
End the cycle of hatred, don't give them a tomorrow.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

OD wrote:
JReed wrote:Well we found a place just north of Ft Wayne between the Fort and Auburn. Nice log home on 2 acres out in the country. Its nice to have a home. Now we just need to call the movers in the morning and set up to have them deliver our stuff.

That is a real nice area Jeremy, congratulations. Once you get to hunting the area, you'll find it really isn't flat. :wink:

Flat is a relative term. After years in the Andes, even parts of the Rocky Mountains look flat in comparison... ;) :D :lol:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

AmBraCol wrote:
Flat is a relative term. After years in the Andes, even parts of the Rocky Mountains look flat in comparison... ;) :D :lol:
:lol:

There you go, absolutely true, Paul.
Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Well after growing up in SoCal with all the foothills and mountains I must say y'all are right it is flat out here. :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

You're in state currently? Stop by Tomlinson's Shooting Supplies in Churubusco sometime, I'll buy ya lunch.

We would be flat compared to SoCal, we are absolutely mountainous compared to northwest Ohio. :D
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

OD
Will do I will have to get on MapQuest to find out where it is.
We have the movers coming on friday to deliver our stuff. Tonight is our last night in a hotel thank God cant wait to be in our own place again. We have been homeless since the 26th of June while we made our way out here so it will be nice.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Jeremy,

I have a good friend in FT. Wayne who is a big fisherman. I visited him for a weekend a few years ago, and some of the finest Bluegill fishing I ever had came from the N.E. corner of Indiana at a chain of lakes. Your boys will love it!
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

JReed wrote:OD
Will do I will have to get on MapQuest to find out where it is.
We have the movers coming on friday to deliver our stuff. Tonight is our last night in a hotel thank God cant wait to be in our own place again. We have been homeless since the 26th of June while we made our way out here so it will be nice.
It's not far, Jeremy. :wink:
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

JReed wrote:Well we found a place just north of Ft Wayne between the Fort and Auburn. Nice log home on 2 acres out in the country. Its nice to have a home.

That's nice country there between Auburn and FW. Flat, but nice. You got all the amenities you need in either direction.

You on the west or east of I-69?

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Just east of I-69 about 3 miles south of Auburn. We have been busting our buts unpacking boxes and getting the yard and the trees under control. Just got our our internet and stuff turned on today I was going thru withdrawls being away from the forum this long. :)
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Well sir, welcome home. Since you went on vacation the recruit became a Marine and graduated. He's on boot leave right now - leaves Sunday to head back northwest. Like I figured, he's had some great stories to tell. Boot camp is about 90% mental - and he's mental. ;-) He's still complaining about "how easy it was" - while laughing at some of the antics of his platoon mates. Anyway, as I was saying before I digressed - welcome home. We're glad you're back online. :)
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Glad to hear you're getting settled in. Since you're living just south of Auburn be sure and run up there and see the Auburn, Dusenberg museum lots of nice old cars there. Also, just north up I-69 at Angola, is Pokagon State Park, nice lodge with restaurant, lake, horse trails etc. nice place to spend a lazy summer afternoon. In the winter they have the Giant bob sled ride open also. The DNR usually has a deer cull hunt there every year, so you might want to check that out. Should be able to find info at www.in.gov/dnr/ or the park officals may have info too.
UNITE
popeye44
Levergunner

Post by popeye44 »

Its been a few years but from what I remember the girls are free spirits and eat lots of beef and potatoes.
I remember them being well rounded too. Nice people and they like guns too. They welcomed this southern
boy with open arms.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

JReed wrote:Just east of I-69 about 3 miles south of Auburn. We have been busting our buts unpacking boxes and getting the yard and the trees under control. Just got our our internet and stuff turned on today I was going thru withdrawls being away from the forum this long. :)
You must be pretty close to the airport then... Nice little lake near there too.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Old Ironsights wrote:
JReed wrote:Just east of I-69 about 3 miles south of Auburn. We have been busting our buts unpacking boxes and getting the yard and the trees under control. Just got our our internet and stuff turned on today I was going thru withdrawls being away from the forum this long. :)
You must be pretty close to the airport then... Nice little lake near there too.
Yep just down the road from the Dekalb airport.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Ok, now guys, give the guy some recruiting leads. He needs prospects! :lol:

Jeremy, I'm glad you're getting settled in. When you meet up with OD, find out what neat guns he's been bogarting over there. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Hobie wrote:Ok, now guys, give the guy some recruiting leads. He needs prospects! :lol:

Jeremy, I'm glad you're getting settled in. When you meet up with OD, find out what neat guns he's been bogarting over there. :wink:
Will do. :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

I snagged one recently that's right up your ally, Hobie, a really nice Rock Island Arsenal rework.

Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Hey Jeremy:

Congrats on completing the move and good luck on getting settled in.

That log house on 2 country acres sounds like just the thing for you, Dee and the boys. Enjoy your new home!

Guess you won't be seeing the sun set over the ocean -- that still threw me when I saw it when I visited you at Camp P in March -- the sun is supposed to rise off the ocean!!!

(At least where I call home...)

Tight groups, and tight lines! The boys do like to fish, right???

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH