The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: The Gun Room

Post by piller »

No, my little drip attachment uses the smallest cone filters available. It holds about 2 tablespoonfuls of grounds. If you put more in there, you have to pour really slow or it overflows.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Geese...lotta action going on...Gunny's dropping off Congress, Piller has a coffee machine for little people (Mexicans?) and Fred has some ancient gizmo........

I got to bed at 4, woke up at 8, fell back asleep at 9 and got back up at 1:15......if that dont qualify me as a member of the "bros", nuttin' will, except maybe having a passion for deep fried chicken gizzards. Guys I've known who spent time in the Big House told me the bros stay up all night, hoopin' and hollering and sleep during the day.

For real, I have nothing against any race of people...I got along better with the bros than I did whitey. It's just they have some of the strangest habits......one bro who was a combat vet in Nam was telling me when he was a kid, living in Mississippi that his grandmother used to send him to the chicken processing plant to get a bag of feet...yes, feet. He said they were .10 a bag and his grandmother used to clean em and make the best soup in the county with them.

92 degrees outside . WTF am I going to do in this S.?

Oh GUUUUNNNNYYYYYY.....I was doing a little more plumbing yesterday.....as we never use the faucet in the bathtub and it was looking funky, I decided to eliminate it......cut the 5/8" copper pipe leading to it ..(from the bathroom closet) and went to solder an end cap, thinking I had a cap...but the cap I had was 1/2".....but I did have a 5/8 to 3/8 reducer but no 3/8 end cap.....mmmmm....a Lake City 223 case fit in the reducer hole perfectly.

Had the water shut off but everytime I put the torch to the pipe to draw the solder the heat would draw water and screw up the solder...so I stuck a half a hot dog roll in the pipe and that did the trick..looks like hell but it don't leak....

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Best way to solder pipe is to shut off the supply and open all the faucets and stick a shopvac at the lowest point. Then you can solder all ya want once the water is gone.

Went to lowes, having the metal roofing delivered for the shed. Then went and ordered 3 ton of wood pellets, was an expensive morning!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Southern Engineering has fixed lots of problems. :lol:
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks Gunny......I dislike draining the entire system as ancient gunk is pushed to the screened faucets, shower head, etc. but like you said, is the proper way to do it. I heard about the bread trick a million years ago. It worked and I'll forever have a .223 case if the need arises.

Man! I bought a roll of Flex Tape at the hardware store the other day..$20 for an 8" x 5' roll.....you know, it's the stuff that Phil Swift advertises and I'll say one thing, it works as advertised. I ruined a 8" x 1 foot section of it by letting it hit the desk top. It took a team of mules to pull it off and the varnish came with it. This stuff has a million uses, especially for an old guy. A fix with this stuff is good for 10 years and who cares after that. :D

It would be perfect for body work on a rusty car.....feather out the edges, paint it and sell it. :D Say your an old guy with incontinence....cut off a section and slap that baby on...you ain't leaking anymore! Probably work if you had a bowel problem too...it would give a rise to the meaning, "your full of S." . Sure would hurt pulling it off as the public hairs would surely come with it.

(Fred, is a single letter acceptable?) :D

A million degrees outside....yard and pasture needs cutting before the upcoming storms but I can't bring myself to do it....-----rocket scientist 006

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Piller,
Your prize...Image

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Are you saying Piller gets your junk mail for the win?

Up early, by choice this morning. I gotta be on the road by 0630 to make the 0800 sign in for the all clays shoot today. The guys from the bunker get to shoot the first squad so we can open the bunker and shoot the match. We shoot 25 each of skeet, trap, wobble trap and the bunker. Probably one of the biggest shotgun matches the club has.

Well. Coffee now!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well we ditched the wheeling trip yesterday. They were up running skidder trails so I figured it wasn't going to be that great.
Instead, we took the Jeep down to Boothbay for another clam and shrimp feed on the pier.
Weather was absolutely beautiful. But of course, being Maine, it changes quick. Bout the time we finished eating, I noticed it looked pretty black over the east side of the harbor. No big deal if your doors and windows weren't 90 miles away in the garage. :D
I figured if we could make it back across the mouth of the river into Wiscassett, and swing north without getting wet, we could scoot out from under it.
We got a couple little spatterings, but stayed dry, and made it home to God's country safe and sound.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:59 amAre you saying Piller gets your junk mail for the win?
BITE YOUR TONGUE!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: That sez, "Official Journal of the NRA" on it... the nerve of some people... junk mail... junk mail... junk mail... At least it wasn't one of their sleazy pleas to donate more money...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks Griff for the support! Ya gotta watch those guys from Jersey who shoot shotguns where real men like us shoot pellet guns!

What? Captain Jay on the harbor with da Jeep? .......and "black" sky????....your in trouble if Jesse sees what you wrote for as you know, "Black Sky's Matter".

I feel mischievous today.....got a fair amount of work done last week and my mind is idle but running fast....yes, that's makes sense for a lunatic..........I looked at mom sitting on the couch with a bag of chips in her hand slugging it down with a 20 oz. Pepsi.......not a care in the world.....flipping through the channels and here I am, all tensed up looking for a way to complete the day with some sort of accomplishment.........cats and dogs sleeping.....storm coming...ears ringing.......I know...I know.......

SKOAL TIME!----006

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well...just got done doing some more amateur plumbing.....faucet on the shut off line in the basement was leaking around the stem. It's the one I used to shut off the supply when working on the bathtub.......well, took it apart and the packing was messed up and I ain't driving to buy a 10 cent part..........looked around and I have these rubber bands that are used for castrating bull calves......slipped one over the old packing, tightened down the nut and presto! fine.

How about this for a redneck funnel.....had some muriatic acid I needed to pour into a small hole. Once again, a .223 case comes to the rescue. :D ------006. Oh! the acid.......before we got the water purification system, iron destroyed most all fittings, shower heads, faucet screens, etc.......I soaked the shower head in this acid.......presto! 15 minutes later I had a new shower head, all shiny and ready to clean my T's.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

A little bit of muriatic acid does wonders for eating away lime scale and other types of corrosion.
D. Brian Casady
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I love this thread...

Makes me wish we were all neighbors.

Good stuff here.

Love the ‘10 year fix’ philosophy of Sixgun...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:41 pm I love this thread...

Makes me wish we were all neighbors.

Good stuff here.

Love the ‘10 year fix’ philosophy of Sixgun...!
Doc,
This is where the action is....... :D .....no stuffy stuff......no whining about self imposed health issues when anyone with 1/4 of a brain knows 95% of your health is in your hands......no comments of "wish me luck!" when anyone with half a brain knows you create your own luck.......no crying about "needing more money" when anyone with 3/4 of a brain knows each individual makes their own bills.....

Sure.....give it the 10 years fix...you think anyone is gonna worry about you when your fertilizing the daisies.... :D ----006

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Good to see you are turning into Mario the plumber!! Keeping busy is a good thing!

Well we had a fun day, 25 skeet,25 trap, 25 wobble trap and 25 bunker. I broke an 83- darn skeet targets hurt my score some but not as bad as the bunker! Shot that like a newbie!! Anyhow as the totals stand im tied with 3 others for 5th out of 60 some shooters. Ill take being in the top 5 anyday.

No I was not implying the NRA magazines are junk mail but it does seem like they are more advertisements than articles of substance but im a proud life member so I do read the Rifleman every month. As for junk mail, if i get stuff with postage paid envelopes I take junk mail A and put it in junk mail B and vice versa and drop it in the box!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ok Gunny....I'll agree that bragging rights come in da top 5! Well done young man!

Somewhat humid today...tried out the new soul pole saw...works like a charm....knocked off the chain twice...little twigs will do dat........I'll tell ya,,it taint easy manipulating one of those...it will wear you out.....PITA with stuff that's just out of reach with a normal saw....I resorted to taping the handle "on". On another branch waaaayyyy up I was on a five foot step ladder with the soul pole extended maximum and as luck would have it the branch I cut fell straight down on Ma face. :D

I would have had an easier job if I didn't keep thinking about "soul pole" ....I was laughing to myself thinking about Jamal and Lakeisha.

I'm done playing plumber......I just don't "have it" ...being short on patience. Better if I stick to shoveling stone.---S.P.006

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey, that reminds me! I gotta get one of them "soul pole saws". Need it to prune shooting lanes from tree stands.

Went up to the lot Friday and trimmed out the roads with the brush saw. Had to do some chainsaw work too. Lots more to do but got the roads done. Have to do it every year. Man that grows in quick.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Jay......the soul pole saws are OK but are limited to several feet over the head and higher branches....pretty much a PITA for stuff just out of reach because you have your hand on the "throttle" and the saw is 6' or so away....you might be better getting a "Mini soul pole saw"....this would be a soul pole from the second or third grade but you have to be careful as some mini soul poles have been known to be 18 years old. Good luck!------S.P...006

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:57 pm Hey Jay......the soul pole saws are OK but are limited to several feet over the head and higher branches....pretty much a PITA for stuff just out of reach because you have your hand on the "throttle" and the saw is 6' or so away....you might be better getting a "Mini soul pole saw"....this would be a soul pole from the second or third grade but you have to be careful as some mini soul poles have been known to be 18 years old. Good luck!------S.P...006
You B Da Bro InDa Know! :D

Haha! You ain't right man!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The Dewalt I bought I can take out a section or add as needed, either 15' or 10' by taking out the center section. Plus it uses 20 volt batteries so it's perfect for taking out to your tree stand!

I second that, you ain't right :D !

Yeah my days of being the top of the leader board are probably over but if I can stay with the leaders I'm happy enough. Normally I shoot against myself but I still get into doing my best in a match.

Didn't sleep well last night, was beat by the time I got home, went to bed about 8:30, tossed & turned till 11:30 when I last looked at the clock. Winnie started at 04:30- had to scold her so I could stay in bed a bit longer.

Plumbing is a true pain, you can have every type of fitting on hand, but not the correct one, you think it's a flare fitting but find out its compression. Oh that's 1" PVC um nope it's 1&1/2. Bathroom sink is leaking and you have to squeeze yourself into a tiny vanity to work upside down- it SUCKS. No wonder why plumbers charge an arm & a leg!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey Six, you live close to Philly- have you seen this before?
Image-1(2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My Honda 4-stroke pole saw is a 10 footer. My new tractor is only about 10', and the Rose is 12'9", so I can trim anything needed. Any higher than that, flatly don't need no trimmin'!!!

Got the new "keds" on the dually:
More aggressive than factory and even the last set. Also went from a 215 to a 235. Didn't want raised white letters, but I didn't specify when I ordered them... thought about putting the lettering on the inside... but that looks kinda stupid...

It's ok Gunnymack... I'll let you off the hook... this time... but don't let it happen again
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Griff, those new "keds"on your dually sure make me jealous :mrgreen: my last little truck only had front wheel drive, ever try hauling a full load of cordwood up a wet grassy hill with your drive wheels barely touching the ground. :oops: I'm looking for a replacement that won't break the bank...... :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:14 amGriff, those new "keds"on your dually sure make me jealous :mrgreen: my last little truck only had front wheel drive, ever try hauling a full load of cordwood up a wet grassy hill with your drive wheels barely touching the ground. :oops: I'm looking for a replacement that won't break the bank...... :wink:
I think my cousin in NZ has a "Hilux" 4x4 with dual rear wheels for his little deer farm. Could be a Nissan, but for some reason I remember thinkin' at the time... why don't they just call it a Toyota everywhere? I've seen enough of your roads on TV that I'm thinkin' a dually like mine would be takin' the WHOLE road!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

You are correct Griff most of our country roads are indeed very narrow. Pickup trucks have gotten a lot bigger in recent years which probably makes perfect sense in the US but no so much here. The old Toyota Hi Lux was the perfect size for our tiny roads the new Hi Lux is bordering on too big, duallys however would be nightmare were I live...
Back in the 70s I spent a bit of time with little old Austin A55 trucks.
Austin-A50-Utility-Australia-1957.jpg
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I want one of those GK.......never saw anything like that.......can you get me one (prefer like new) and ship it over? It's kinda like our El Camino's and Ranchero's.....my wife's brother who has everything cool bought a new 1971 El Camino SS 454 with the LS--6 engine...very rare today but like all kids he beat it.

Nice sneakers Griff.....I used to use them on my '79 Ford...think I got 40-50K out of them....you "tart"....most all tires come with raised lettering.....I make it clear to the installer..."lettering in!" ......it's bad enough I have to deal with a soul pole saw so that means I'm not dealing with a ghetto cruiser....still cool though.....I bet that $16-1800 worth of rubber.....

Where's Gunny?....THANKS for making me forget to use toilet paper after dropping off a BLM rioter.....THAT is a "standard picture" in da hood.....no shame at all........but....she has a $500 cell phone!!!

On a serious note on the soul pole saw. Mine has two sections that are permanent......all together maybe 6-7'....then it extends out to 10'.....you ever try holding 10 pounds at the end of a pole on a horizontal/45 degree level? It'll wear ya out fast. That's why I say that except for a branch or two these soul pole saws are worthless for anything below 8'......

I may have told you about Preston's uncle down in Snow Hill, Delaware back in the 40's-50's....you want to hear a story???!!! --

........-----S.P.---006

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Griff wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:45 am My Honda 4-stroke pole saw is a 10 footer. My new tractor is only about 10', and the Rose is 12'9", so I can trim anything needed. Any higher than that, flatly don't need no trimmin'!!!

Got the new "keds" on the dually:
More aggressive than factory and even the last set. Also went from a 215 to a 235. Didn't want raised white letters, but I didn't specify when I ordered them... thought about putting the lettering on the inside... but that looks kinda stupid...

It's ok Gunnymack... I'll let you off the hook... this time... but don't let it happen again
Excellent choice Griff. I have run a lot of Radial A/T's on my "daily's". They are an excellent tire, and as Six said, they wear very well. Not an issue for you, but they are excellent in the snow. They are also great in sand.
I've had good luck with BF Goodrich tires. I'm currently running M/T KM2's on the Jeep and love them.
And yes........the white letters are in! :D
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My last two trucks were Proton "Jumbucks" built in Malaysia with Mitsubishi parts, just the right size for our country roads but some parts are difficult to find in the UK, they were popular in Australia, hence the name.
autowp.ru_proton_jumbuck_3.jpg
Click to enlarge photo.
Six, if I find a like new Austin A55 truck you can have it as soon as I can raise the postage... :lol: Austin did sent a lot to South America back in the 70s.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

That's a pretty snazzy truck there Gamekeeper......that's the way I like my stuff....sturdy no frills...and a neat color.....no one can say, "I didn't see ya coming". :D Looks to have plenty of room in the back with room to spare for a dozen or so soul pole saws.

Can't carry much in my Jeep so that's why I have a trailer.....it'll pull a ton like nothing but 3,000 pounds starts to slow it down, plus it's probably overweight. One time I had a single 70 year old soul pole in the trailer and it was dragging the bumper.----006 secret agent man

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

GK, a load of cordwood in a front wheel drive ya go in REVERSE up the hill! :D

I tried the BFG A/Tso's on my first diesel, only got 25,000 out of them. Too much torque. My Rubicon had those Mud Terrain on it, they are great in snow/mud but they really sucked on wet pavement!
I'm a Cooper tire guy, on the diesels I get a good 40-50,000 out of them. The big Cummins gets a mud/snow tire and flip the switch and go! Just gotta be easy on the clutch in snow cuz all that torque will cut loose very easy!

Well the showers just stopped- back outside to the shed roof.

NOTICE THE POST OFFICE UNIFORM PANTS !!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nah, we don't get very much snow down here... Ice on the other hand is a real concern. Nothing beats chains in that... except staying home!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah Gunny. The BFG's do best on lighter vehicles I think.
I've never run Coopers, but many in the club are running the newer Cooper STT Pro MTs. My good buddy is running them on his 07 JK Rubicon. The guys like them, and from what I've seen, they are an excellent performer.
They are on the heavy side, however. For me, with a TJ, I am very mindful of weight. That's what keeps me on the BFGs.
As an example, my 33x10.50x15 BFGs on black steel wheels, weigh a pound LESS apiece than the stock 31 Good Year MTRs on aluminum rims.
They were a horrid tire by the way. I HATED them. The only good thing I could say was they were very durable in the rocks for sidewall. However, they were too hard, too heavy, poor in mud, and wore poorly.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:10 pm My last two trucks were Proton "Jumbucks" built in Malaysia with Mitsubishi parts, just the right size for our country roads but some parts are difficult to find in the UK, they were popular in Australia, hence the name.

autowp.ru_proton_jumbuck_3.jpg
Click to enlarge photo.
Six, if I find a like new Austin A55 truck you can have it as soon as I can raise the postage... :lol: Austin did sent a lot to South America back in the 70s.
That's pretty neat GK. And a four wheeler fits in the back. Half the trucks in this country won't hold one now. Every year the cab gets bigger and the bed gets smaller.
Hey now! I bet over there you could score one of the super cool pickup versions of the Series 2 Rover! Come to think of it........send me one please! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well....near two a.m. and I figure I better get some sleep if we're going to be yakimg tomorrow........big storm tomorrow afternoon.......I better get the chainsaw and the soul pole saw ready.

Had a little excitement today......I was on the Kubota by the garage watching this car slow down and this big mama jama soul pole sister jump out of the car and steal my neighbors trump sign off his yard....I put the Kubota in high range and took off but they beat it down the road before I could get the plate number...found the sign on the side of the road.....wish they would have grabbed mine......they would have had quite a surprise.----006

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Hey Six, it might not be legal but it sure would be fun to shoot sign stealers in the butt with one of these paintball guns :lol: pity it only holds 10 paintballs.
31c86ECeQcL._AC_.jpg
OldWin even the clapped out old Land Rovers are out of my price range now, the prices have really jumped up in the last few years :( I couldn't agree more on the modern trend in trucks, I had to move a sofa in my little truck for Shirley's daughter because her boyfriend couldn't get it in his big Nissan. :roll:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yep, Jay the engineers have turned pickups into computer cars and not many people work out of a pickup anymore. Here these tiny little women drive 2500/3500 trucks, they have no clue how to drive em on the back roads, they all slam on the breaks when you et close going the other way.

I'd be partial to a Land Cruiser pickup. The rovers are great but I like the lines of the cruiser more.

Six I got the feeling you have your signs rigged, say no more!

Just before I traded off my Rubicon I put those Cooper STTs on all 5 rims, from the get go I knew they were better on pavement. I had 2 sets of rims for my old truck, STTs on one set and a less aggressive mud/snow on the other set. Come winter those STTs went on. Yeah everyone thinks aluminum rims are lighter but they are 3 or 4 times thicker than a steel wheel.

And now coffee!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Gunny...by the way your yakimg I thought you already had 17 cups of BR.....AK47!

Land Rovers are cool but do nothing for me....as a semi poor guy I always look at repair costs and Jeeps are EASY to repair....those Limey vehicles, like all imported top of the line cars are expensive. Quadratec, the major aftermarket Jeep people are 7 miles down the road.....let's pretend you need rotors....(you know that one!).......Jeep rotors are probably $35....Land Rover rotors are $7,827 EACH! :D

Rigged signs? You bet! Whomever steals my signs or banners are going to need to have many holes filled in on their hands. The area I live in is called Thornton.....for a reason.....we have these thorny Locust trees that grow thorns anywhere from an inch to 4 inches long and are hard as rock and as pointy as a brand new needle...NO JOKE...before the mighty Kubota came along these thorns would puncture the tires on the JD when I did the back pasture....PITA to walk the area before mowing.......I have bunches of these thorns all over the signs right where you would grab them and are undetectable from the front and hard to see from the back. GUARANTEED, Even mild pressure will drive though your hand a 1/4".

Funny thing, last night I was going through the experience from yesterday and was wondering if I could have done anything different...as to catching them.....naaaaa...they were 100 yards away but...but...I could have SCREAMED, "hey N, get outta der!"......yea, hindsight is 20/20....I hate em but I never did before. I'm to the point I just don't care what anybody thinks about me anymore...these people are destroying this country. Just go read what people write on "join the conversation" on any Fox News article about blacks.

I didn't do this to make me feel this way...THEY did.-----6

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The newish Land Rovers are rubbish, the series 3 is as late a model that I would consider but with our gas prices I couldn't afford to drive it far. I occasionally see a WW2 Willis Jeep running around town, I think I would go for one of those rather than a vintage Land Rover. Perhaps under the " Lend Lease Agreement" you guys could find a Liberty Ship and send me one over... :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Leap frog anyone?
20200825_132114.jpg
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:16 pm The newish Land Rovers are rubbish, the series 3 is as late a model that I would consider but with our gas prices I couldn't afford to drive it far. I occasionally see a WW2 Willis Jeep running around town, I think I would go for one of those rather than a vintage Land Rover. Perhaps under the " Lend Lease Agreement" you guys could find a Liberty Ship and send me one over... :D
Too bad on the prices buddy. It's like that everywhere. The old flatfender Jeeps are the same way.
I couldn't agree more on the newer Rovers. Just luxury cars. The old ones were excellent performers.
As Gunny mentioned, so were the old Land Cruisers. They also, were well thought out.
And, don't forget the I.H. Scout 80!
As Six so astutely mentioned, in this country, while the Jeep is an excellent vehicle in it's own right it's proliferation and supply of parts is what makes it the best choice.
If I hit the lottery, I would still like an old Series 1 to play around with though! I still have a soft spot for the old Jeeps also. I always toy with selling mine and going back to a Willy's flatfender.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Jayster! Your up early! Your starting to inspire me to work on Ole Yeller.......the body is still solid with only a few spots of rust....the trans was rebuilt a few years before I took it off the road....the motor still runs greeeeeaaaatttt but is tired.....don't burn oil but the head gasket needs to be replaced......but it was like that for the last 15 years......water in the oil......very little......I learned to leave the dipstick out an inch or two and the water would evaporate.......

How about a "Stroker 6"? I could keep everything simple...same trans...same 2 core rad....same springs....etc......

A fresh motor and I'd be ready to drive north and get back some of my guns......006 secret agent with no name...just a number

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

the shed roof is done!!
20200825_165309.jpg
If I hit the lottery I'd go west and find a clean Cruiser, then get one of these V6 diesels like in my new truck, plenty of power and 30 mpg ! Or maybe a Cummins 4BT in a Jeep.

Ok I'm now officially beat, I pushed hard to get the roof done before the thunderstorms show up!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:50 pm Hey Jayster! Your up early! Your starting to inspire me to work on Ole Yeller.......the body is still solid with only a few spots of rust....the trans was rebuilt a few years before I took it off the road....the motor still runs greeeeeaaaatttt but is tired.....don't burn oil but the head gasket needs to be replaced......but it was like that for the last 15 years......water in the oil......very little......I learned to leave the dipstick out an inch or two and the water would evaporate.......

How about a "Stroker 6"? I could keep everything simple...same trans...same 2 core rad....same springs....etc......

A fresh motor and I'd be ready to drive north and get back some of my guns......006 secret agent with no name...just a number
Hey buddy!
Yeah, don't let poor Old Yeller waste away! Those stroker 4.0's make serious power dude! It will be fine if you ain't doing heavy wheeling with lockers and big tires. You can do a core for those motors from Golen. I don't know but Four Wheel Drive Hardware does them too. If you want to keep your original just do a build.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Looks good Gunny!
Yeah. The days of a clean Cruiser are long gone here!
I do work with a guy that has a 72 that is all restored frame off. Looks really nice.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jay...thanks Senior Soul Pole Man!!!! It's been 25 years since I rebuilt a motor and I don't have any of the specialty tools....my buddy did......I think it's easier just to buy a long block then put on my dist/intake/exhaust/carb/water pump/fuel pump and anything that goes with them. I can't do complicated things like you can so everything has to stay pretty much like it is.006

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Just checked out Gunny's NEW roof! Wasn't that shingles before?

Let's hear the story on the signs in da tree.......I have a fence post that a cherry tree grew around it. Planted the tree myself in '75....it's a monster now.

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

What the heck? You guys have a brain aneurysm and forget the early 66-77 Broncos. GREAT at nothing!!GOOD at my st things and fun ALWAYS.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes it was a 3 tab shingle roof. Metal costs a bit more but it saves so much labor! The shingles were shot so I would have to tear them off( get rid of too) the old shingles. Then re shingle it. A lot more time for sure. Not to mention a Gambrel style roof takes 2 sets of hands , 1 to hold the shingles in place and 1 to nail em on.

Buddy of mine & I did a short block in his '76 CJ5. It was tired. He got a short block, had the head done, mid range cam & a Holley 4 barrel. About 3 months afterwards it started leaking oil. We found the block was cracked and the company that did the remanufacture smeared the block with JB WELD. Not the right fix! The warranty supplied another short block . We did the 2nd swap in about 12 hours.

Naw we didn't forget the broncos, just nobody wants a FORD! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Ow! Man that hurts. If I had any feelings left that MIGHT have hurt one. But I don’t.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Antifa marcher got himself shot last night in Bedford county Pa. People are locking and loading. Apparently they are marching to D.C. and stopped in Bedford and it didn’t work out so well. Non life threatening injury.
Last edited by fordwannabe on Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.