Louis L'Amour trivia

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Louis L'Amour trivia

Post by sore shoulder »

Ok, what L'Amour book is about a Sackett, though it is not titled so, niether is the hero called Sackett, nor is it in the Sackett series list? :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Bendigo Shafter, I think.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

By gum, I think i just read that book a few months ago. Unfortunately, I read several L'amour books a few months ago, and can't recall the title.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Nope, and nope. :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
CindyLea
Levergunner

Post by CindyLea »

A man called Noon????
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

CindyLea wrote:A man called Noon????
Aaah, good guess, Mr. Ruble Noon, which was not his real name either, it was Jonas Mandrin.

But nope. :lol:
11B30
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

There are several other books in which a Sackett has some involvement in the story. The list is as follows.

Bendigo Schafter (Ethan Sackett)
Dark Canyon (William Tell Sackett)
Borden Chantry (Joe Sackett, killed in ambush that B Chantry solves murder)
Passin' Through (Parmalee Sackett is mentioned as defending a main character in the book)
Son of a Wanted Man (Tyrel Sackett)
Catlow (Ben Cowhan marries a cousin of Tyrel Sackett’s wife)
Man from the Broken Hills (Em Talon a main character in this book was in fact born a Sackett. Mentions William Tell Sackett)
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

shooter wrote:There are several other books in which a Sackett has some involvement in the story. The list is as follows.

Bendigo Schafter (Ethan Sackett)
Dark Canyon (William Tell Sackett)
Borden Chantry (Joe Sackett, killed in ambush that B Chantry solves murder)
Passin' Through (Parmalee Sackett is mentioned as defending a main character in the book)
Son of a Wanted Man (Tyrel Sackett)
Catlow (Ben Cowhan marries a cousin of Tyrel Sackett’s wife)
Man from the Broken Hills (Em Talon a main character in this book was in fact born a Sackett. Mentions William Tell Sackett)
One of those is the correct answer. :lol:
11B30
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Man from the Broken Hills (Em Talon)
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Nope.

Hint: He's the main character, and he is a Sackett, however he is never called Sackett in the story.
11B30
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Not trying to hijack, but I always wanted to see how the Tinker signed his notes with a sihouette instead of a signature. Iwouldn't turn down a tinker-made bowie either.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Ok, looks like ya'all given up, so I'll give it up.

Passin Through! If'n ya don't believe me, read it again. Also, I believe the Sackett companion confirms this.
11B30
CJM
Levergunner 1.0

Post by CJM »

I don't have the Sackett Companion, so which Sackett is it? I thought that it could have been one of the Clinch Mountain Sacketts, (Nolan or Logan), or possibly Milo Talon (whose mother Emily was born a Sackett).
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

CJM wrote:I don't have the Sackett Companion, so which Sackett is it? I thought that it could have been one of the Clinch Mountain Sacketts, (Nolan or Logan), or possibly Milo Talon (whose mother Emily was born a Sackett).
That I do not know. I have not read the Sackett companion, though I read somewhere that it does mention the secret Sackett book, so to speak.
11B30
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't remember it mentioning the Sackett's name, but one of the two female main characters was a Higgins. The Sackett and Higgins families had a fued and the Higgins men were all wiped out based on information in The Daybreakers. I like the way Louis L'Amour tied so many of his books together. For the record, he died on my 23rd Birthday. I was in the field and switched the radio in the HMMWV to the Armed Forces Radio channel and listened to the news while the Lt. I drove for was getting a Sit-Rep. Worst Birthday I ever had.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

piller wrote:I don't remember it mentioning the Sackett's name, but one of the two female main characters was a Higgins. The Sackett and Higgins families had a fued and the Higgins men were all wiped out based on information in The Daybreakers. I like the way Louis L'Amour tied so many of his books together. For the record, he died on my 23rd Birthday. I was in the field and switched the radio in the HMMWV to the Armed Forces Radio channel and listened to the news while the Lt. I drove for was getting a Sit-Rep. Worst Birthday I ever had.
One of the interesting apsects for me is getting out a topo map when his characters are traveling near where I live here in CO. I have been able to find every creek, mtn, and city he describes. One took place less than 10 miles from where I sit.

the Higgins girl is the big clue that Passin Through is a Sackett. Throughout the book he keeps thinkin to himself that the girl looks familiar, and when he asks her name at the end is the clincher.
11B30