OT - Unusual Wear on a SAA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Unusual Wear on a SAA

Post by jdad »

I was cleaning my Colt after a little range time and noticed that the blue was worn off the top front edges, of the cylinder. It's rubbing on something, but I can't see what. I called Colt and they had never heard of this happening either, so they said to send it in. I've only put about 150, light 32-20,rounds through it. I mean real light....3.9gr of HP-38 under a 115gr Laser Cast.

Have any of you seen this or had this happen before?

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

That's normal.
It's lead.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

casastahle is correct... it's just lead .. not wear
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

+3... (you guys are FAST)! :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Don't send it to Colt, they'll laugh at you.
It's powder/lead buildup & you just need to work a little harder at getting it off.
Don't scrub too hard or with an overly abrasive material, though, or you will wear the bluing off there.
Denis
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

does this revolver have the black powder cut just in front of the forcing cone in the top strap??
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've seen less of that on guns where the frame has more clearance between cylinder and top strap, and less of it if the cylinder-barrel gap is thin.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

You may give me all you've got. I've earned it. :o I ignored the obvious because Laser Cast bullets aren't supposed to lead up anything.

I've never shot lead, only jacketed, out of revolver before. I wrapped a little piece of lead/carbon removal cloth around the end of match stick and it came off.

Boy do I feel stupid. :oops:
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

I must be old and experienced now because I've seen that exact thing on some of my guns' cylinders. I even recognized it for what it is.

I've felt stupid before about other gun related, shooting questions, but I don't think I ever have about this particular one. We probably only get to stop feeling stupid when we stop learning, and there's a lot to learn when it comes to guns.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

jdad wrote:You may give me all you've got. I've earned it. :o I ignored the obvious because Laser Cast bullets aren't supposed to lead up anything.

I've never shot lead, only jacketed, out of revolver before. I wrapped a little piece of lead/carbon removal cloth around the end of match stick and it came off.

Boy do I feel stupid. :oops:
Please don't feel stupid jdad, been there done that. :D
Last Sept. I was asking the same exact question. (New SAA in .357 mag.)
A little trick I was told is to spray the exterior of the cylinder with
Pam before a shooting session. Then clean up time, just rub your thumb
over the lead buildup and it comes right off. :wink:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Don't feel that way - I've been around over 6 decades, and I still learn something new, just about every day. :roll:

One thing I know I haven't larnt, is ta keep my trap shut. :wink:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Try a lead removal cloth. They're soft on your bluing and will take that off in a hurry.
Old Law Dawg
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

kimwcook wrote:Try a lead removal cloth. They're soft on your bluing and will take that off in a hurry.
Yep, that's exactly what I did. It will take the blue off if you're too aggressive.

"I wrapped a little piece of lead/carbon removal cloth around the end of match stick and it came off."
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

All of my Colts do that . Just some extra elbow and a silicone cloth + a solvent like maybe Break Free . At least that's mostly what I use,seems to help me .Not sure if a strong lead remover will hurt the blue or not though....

Mutt
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Slug your bore. Your are most likely using undersized bullets. To stop that you need to shoot bullets more closely sized to the cylinder throats, & bore groove diameter.

Take it from one who has been here before. :wink:

I shoot a pair of third generation Colt 44-40's.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

I've never heard of the Pam idea before. I'll have to try it. My Dan Wesson .22 revolver seems to be a particularly bad offender when it comes to this kind of build up on the cylinder. Maybe this tip will cure it.