Marlin 32-20 coyote kill

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Marlin 32-20 coyote kill

Post by EdinCT »

I had seen a grey coyote twice this last year out in the wood lot. What I haven't seen are fawns and turkeys like I did in the past.
I had carpel tunnel surgery last Friday and am out of work for awhile, so I put a Fox pro electronic call, a howler and Primos Ki-Yi call in my pack last night.
Late this am I grabbed my Marlin 1894CL a handful of cartridges loaded with Lyman 311008 cast over 10 gr of 2400 in nickle Starline brass.
I have used the Fox Pro about 6 times and haven't had success until today. I started with a adult cottontail then a pause for 5 min and a Coyote contact call and a switch to a red squirrel distress call. I was about 20 min into it and I had a coyote come charging in and I had a first in that the cross bolt safety was on because I climbed into a ladder stand. A Loud click and it was going away just has fast! I managed to almost sever a front leg with the first shot which sent her into a spin and a follow up through the chest ended it in seconds.
I have shot coyotes with a 44 mag that didn't die any quicker and I am thrilled to have killed this mangy adult female.
Now the State has legalized the 22 magnum in the State forests I will try a few more times on public land and in a week or so try the other side of the property out back with the 32-20 again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 32-20 coyote kill

Post by marlinman93 »

Nicely done, and even cooler with a classic old caliber! The .32-20 is one of my favorites!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Nice one!

FoxPro E-Calls rule the roost -- I love mine. :wink:

Good luck with the recovery too, hope you heal up well.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Job well done!

Brad
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Another fan of the .32-20, though I've never connected with anything larger than a woodchuck.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

NICE! Never connected with a coyote with mine. Where is the snow?
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Nice shooting with the 32wcf. My 100 year old 92 likes the XTP bullets in 85, 90 and 100 grain weights with 2400 and 5744.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Good work.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations Ed. I hope the surgery turns out well for you too. I've been wearing braces on my wrists to try and get it on the run.

Those Marlins sure look nice.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

ollogger wrote:Job well done!
Brad

Yep.....way to go! Nice pic----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Good Job...I have the CL's in 32-20 and .218 Bee. :D .
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Well done.
I also have the 1894 CL 32-20, and have always thought it would make a top little caliber for foxes and dogs.
I use mine for pistol caliber cowboy silhouette and classic caliber lever action competition.
My cast bullets are from an Accurate mold, .314 105 gr, with about 12 gr of 2205 (4227).
I used 9.5 gr Alliant 2400 for about 8 years but here in West Oz, 2400 has been unavailable for about the last 4 years.
I am curious about the Starline nickel brass you're using.
I recently saw it advertised by a gun shop in the eastern states for a good price. $50 per 100 is a good price over here. Is it as good as the regular Starline brass, or inferior to it?
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

The Starline nickel brass is good but no better than the plain brass, I use it so I know it is a different load from my plinking 4 gr of Unique. I bought a hundred for that purpose.
And yes no snow remaining at this time and thankful for that :wink:
Last edited by EdinCT on Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nicely done.
Those calls are expensive and make me wince!

Best wishes.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I keep hearing that coyotes are around here and one buddy showed me a pic of one he took while deer hunting with a bow last year. Just have not seen any.....maybe someone told the coyotes that there's this crazy guy on Glen Mills Rd. that will blast em should they tread on his turf. :D

The nickel plated cases sure look nice but........over the last 25 years when they started to become "fashionable" in lots of calibers, I have noticed they split a whole lot easier than the brass variety. And when they do split, those babies split halfway down the case.

I still use em though as it's easy to differentiate between different powder loads with the same bullet.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Since coyotes are pretty nocturnal, they can be in an area a long time and not be seen. I live in the middle of a big city, and no rural areas even close to my home. But we have coyotes. I've never seen them, but the people who are out in the middle of the night have! My neighbor said she couldn't sleep one night, and was sitting on her porch at 3:00 a.m. last summer. She saw three "dogs" chasing each other down the middle of the street, and thought it looked strange. As they got in front of her house she suddenly realized they were three coyotes, and not domestic dogs!
Soon after someone flooded the neighborhood with flyers warning to keep your pets inside at night. Seems the coyotes are feeding on people's cats and small dogs.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

BenT wrote:
Where is the snow ?

This a SOUTHERN New England, Ben............ ;)

Nice work, ED ! I've been meaning to take my Johnny Walker caller out for 'yotes this Winter (too lazy IMO).

I hope your recovery from the carpal tunnel surgery comes fast (it's a real pain in the....... wrist ;) )

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Can't think of a better way to recover from surgery than sneaking around the woods with a Marlin CL ...

8)
2520WHV
Levergunner

Post by 2520WHV »

I shot a coyote while hunting blue grouse in the mountains a couple months ago.

I use a Savage Model 23 .32-20 quite a bit for grouse as it anchors them well with my soft load (105gr flat point at 1150fps) with little damage. This coyote was 110 yards out and 'leavin' Dodge'. The first shot I angled through him from the rear which had him spinning. He stopped braodside and the second one floored him.

2520WHV

EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I shot one in the lungs with my 4 gr of unique load that chrony's 1180 at 80 yards a few years ago and it dropped in about 12 feet.
my neighbor had a Savage 23 that he used years ago in his orchard to kill deer. It worked.
Six, I'm sure you do have coyotes. Saw were they are inside New York city now, very adaptable. Your 25-20 should let them down pretty fast too! Do you think annealing the nickeled brass would give longer life?
Imagine holding these small cases near a torch :o
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

AFAIK, nickeled brass cannot be annealed.

FWIW, when I annealed cases, I set them in a pan with 1/2" water in it, heated the case necks, then tipped each one over into the water as soon as the case neck reached the proper color (just as the brass turns blue).

twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Here is one I shot a few years back on Christmas morning at the ranch. Model 1873 in 38 WCF.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Nice! I have my Gramps 38wcf and have thought of trying it for the same purpose. The 180 gr Seirra's with a factory crimp die shoot great but are a little fragile for deer, might just be ideal for coyotes. Have to admit iron sights aren't the best option for me anymore.
Baja_Traveler
Levergunner

Post by Baja_Traveler »

Wow - thats awesome! I have the same rifle (and the 218 Bee) and it is my go-to rifle for lever gun silhouette in the pistol cartridge class, using the same bullet and 5.5gr 4756. Mine is a lighter load than yours, so I just took note of your load for future reference.