Henry 44 Mag BB

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Wildgoose
Levergunner 1.0

Henry 44 Mag BB

Post by Wildgoose »

Been doing some searching and followed M.M.Wright's advice and sent Henry an email. The twist rate for the BB 44 Mag rifle line is 1.38". The standard bore diameter is .424". I am assuming the listed diameter will mean the groove diameter will be .429 or so. I have read elsewhere that those who have slugged their bores have found them to be .429". So, it looks like the bullet range for this rifle will be in the 180 to 265 grain range. Too slow for the heavier bullets. Most likely the best shooters for jacketed slugs will be the standard factory 180 and 240 grain JHP. As for cast I will just have to wait until I get the rifle and slug it. Then most likely will go with what ever that dictates in a Ranch Dog style GCFP. I bought the rifle just to have something in 44 Mag again as over the last twenty years since I got into black powder cartridge rifle competition I had sold off my 44 pistols to finance BPCR projects but still have all the equipment to load for the caliber. With my aging eyes and arthritic hands buying another hand gun in 44 wasn't too appealing so I decided to go with a nice lever gun. So it will pretty much be used for casual range time. If I feel then need to hunt with a lever gun I have levers in 45-70, 405 Win and 35 Remington that can and have filled the bill many times. Looking forward to finally getting to check out the Henry and work up a cast load for it.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Henry 44 Mag BB

Post by gamekeeper »

Please keep us informed... 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

You never know...my 1 in 38" Marlin 44 shoots 270 and 300 gr bullets just fine, out to 100 yards anyway.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My Ruger carbine(1968 vintage) shoots 300's well. Not quite as good as 240's but good enough to be minute of deer at 100 yards.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!