New NFA Rules...???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

New NFA Rules...???

Post by AJMD429 »

A patient told me today that this summer there will be a new NFA rule on Class-III stuff - that local law enforcement permission isn't required, just that they be 'notified'. He said it is part of a tradeoff that makes the NFA-Trusts much more difficult. Anyone else hear of this...???

I did find this but haven't waded through it yet - https://www.federalregister.gov/article ... le-persons
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: New NFA Rules...???

Post by Sixgun »

Doc,
Yea. My son has a mess of that class 3 stuff and he telling me to "get that machine gun" before things change. Well, with the changes in the trust, he is more worried that it will be more difficult to be passed on to him. I look at class 3 machine guns as investments but at 61, there ain't a lot of time it to financially escalate.

I had and still have a chance to buy a NIB M-16 A2.....not an A1.....for about half the going price but I just don't see the need. Semi is good enough for me. The other night I was surrounded by cases of new transferable machine guns and was told to pick one out. Nope------6

I'll check later on this week Doc, and see what the exact details are.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah, I don't have a NFA-Trust, because all I have are three suppressors, and 99.9% of our shooting is done on our property, and 90% of the suppressor use is me. However, it would be nice if the not-needing-permission thing is for "regular" NFA-owners as well as the NFA-Trust folks (that's the way it was explained to me). My local LEO's are pretty pro-gun, but in some jurisdictions I know folks can hardly ever get permission for a suppressor [ :roll: :evil: ].

I'd like to get a 22 LR can, and maybe someday a 45 caliber one, and 'SBR' my AR-pistol so I could put a stock on it (not that it needs one, but . . . they just look cooler with a stock [ :oops: :D ]. I don't think the new rules will affect those things much, but who knows...
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

If I understand things correctly, beginning on 01 July 2016, CLEO signatures will not be required for Class III, but if a person chooses that route, fingerprints and photos will still be mandatory. For trusts, fingerprints and photos will be required as well. At this point that's all I've heard. I have some SBRs on Form 1s on my NFA Trust and have one in the pipeline now. My goal is to get more Form1s started before 01 July. I'll ask my NFA lawyer what other concerns there are regarding trusts.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Sounds like a new chapter in the continuing saga of our government doing what it can to to waste taxpayer money by solving problems that don't exist.

:roll:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I've heard of it, but I'm not into class III stuff so haven't paid a whole lot of attention.

While I'd love to own a tommy gun or some such, the reality is that its just a hugely complicated and expensive way to go through tons of ammo with a machine that you bought for 100x what it would cost to produce. And you are participating in a registry.

The libertarian cheapskate sez no way! :mrgreen:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

92&94 wrote:I've heard of it, but I'm not into class III stuff so haven't paid a whole lot of attention.

While I'd love to own a tommy gun or some such, the reality is that its just a hugely complicated and expensive way to go through tons of ammo with a machine that you bought for 100x what it would cost to produce. And you are participating in a registry.

I would probably only get a full-auto or select-fire if it could also shoot 22 LR reliably (few can), due to the cost, but.....

....it is really nice to have suppressors, and I think a SBR would be even more handy than a 16" Rossi levergun...!

I do agree with the dislike for any type of 'registry', but I dislike the orange jumpsuit look more, and wanted suppressors, so had to give in... :(

92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

AJMD429 wrote:
92&94 wrote:I've heard of it, but I'm not into class III stuff so haven't paid a whole lot of attention.

I would probably only get a full-auto or select-fire if it could also shoot 22 LR reliably (few can), due to the cost, but.....

....it is really nice to have suppressors, and I think a SBR would be even more handy than a 16" Rossi levergun...!

I do agree with the dislike for any type of 'registry', but I dislike the orange jumpsuit look more, and wanted suppressors, so had to give in... :(
Yessir, that is the choice you have to make. I came down on the other side of it and just enjoy my semi-autos. I used to think I would go for a .22lr machine gun and that would make it worth the registry - and then .22lr was unavailable for so long that I wised up!