Why would we want to keep our guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Why would we want to keep our guns

Post by walks with gun »

My niece lives in a small town up here in northern Mn. I suppose it's around 300-400 people. This weekend she and her boyfriend heard someone monkeying with the door which was dead bolted. They called 911 and flipped on the yard light and saw three male's hotfooting it toward their truck. It took almost a hour for the closest deputy to get there, he was on the other side of the county, the city let the town cops go to save money and put in a Sheriffs substation instead. They gave a pretty good description of at least one guy and the truck they were driving and the deputy has a idea who he thinks it was. The kids 20 and 22 are sleeping with the shotgun loaded now, very small town and are afraid if it is the punks the deputy thinks it is, they all have long criminal-felony records and might come after them. I understand lawmen are pretty scattered in large rural counties, but almost an hour, I've seen this myself a few times up here. I can only hope the kids are careful, it really irks me too that there are people in this country that think if were all disarmed we'll be a safe, crime free nation. OK I'm done ranting now, just ticked off.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Why would we want to keep our guns

Post by AJMD429 »

...it really irks me too that there are people in this country that think if were all disarmed we'll be a safe, crime free nation.
'Rural' people rarely display the arrogance of wanting to force 'urban' people to adopt their way of life, but too many spoiled insulated urbanites think nothing of forcing their narrow world-view on those in rural areas.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

AJMD429, you hit the nail on the head there.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

This:
"'Rural' people rarely display the arrogance of wanting to force 'urban' people to adopt their way of life, but too many spoiled insulated urbanites think nothing of forcing their narrow world-view on those in rural areas."

Couldn't have said it better. Ain't gonna try. 8)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote:
...it really irks me too that there are people in this country that think if were all disarmed we'll be a safe, crime free nation.
'Rural' people rarely display the arrogance of wanting to force 'urban' people to adopt their way of life, but too many spoiled insulated urbanites think nothing of forcing their narrow world-view on those in rural areas.
In fact, I'd say most rural folks believe the urbanites couldn't handle real country livin'!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have called our SO, requesting a deputy to investigate a burglary I discovered only to have them tell me they would "try to get someone out there tomorrow".
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Reminds me of an old story/joke/legend that I'll just leave right here:
How to call the Police...
True Story From the Meridian, Mississippi STAR

George Phillips of Meridian Mississippi was going up to bed when his wife told him that he'd left the light on in the garden shed, which she could see from the bedroom window. George opened the back door to go turn off the light but saw that there were people in the shed stealing things.

He phoned the police, who asked "Is someone in your house?" and he said no. Then they said that all patrols were busy, and that he should simply lock his door and an officer would be along when available.

George said "Okay," hung up, counted to 30, and phoned the police again. "Hello. I just called you a few seconds ago because there were people in my shed. Well, you don't have to worry about them now cause I've just shot them all." Then he hung up.

Within five minutes three police cars, an Armed Response unit, and an ambulance showed up at the Phillips residence. Of course, the police caught the burglars red-handed. One of the policemen said to George: "I thought you said that you'd shot them!"

George said, "I thought you said there was nobody available!"
The Lord Bless You

Terry
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Even if you live in an area where law enforcement can be there in 5-6 minutes, it's still not often soon enough. Keeping a firearm for protection is a necessity, regardless of where you live. Maybe if you live next door to a 24 hour police station, you might not need one. I personally keep several stashed in locations around my home, so I wont be separated from one regardless of which way a bad guy comes in.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Amen! I remember in CA (where 80+% of the votes come from the large cities) the state regulated/decided how much space a chicken needs to lay eggs...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

One minute response time can bee too long. That's why I kept my 1911 ready when I lived in L.A.County...
Mike
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

guido4198 wrote:This:
"'Rural' people rarely display the arrogance of wanting to force 'urban' people to adopt their way of life, but too many spoiled insulated urbanites think nothing of forcing their narrow world-view on those in rural areas."

Couldn't have said it better. Ain't gonna try. 8)
+1

Admittedly I now live in a small town. But current situation, family health concerns, and progeny have locked me into the area. Were it not for these concerns, I would again move to the mountains.

I lived in Los Angeles in my early and adolescent years. I lived in the foothills near Yosemite in late teen years. What a difference.

Although there are some fine folks in cities, you find far less self-sufficient people there. Many suckle on the teat of welfare and its cousins, so they will never relocate. And since they want something for nothing, they vote Liberal, if they bother to vote at all. Thus the Inner City votes for the Dems, no matter how dishonest or wacky they are.

In the mountains (especially in far out, truly rural areas), you find far less dependent people there; they wouldn't survive. These hard-working, industrious types realize the common sense approach to life: You need to work for what you get. Thus, they are hugely Conservative, and realize the value of and use guns.

However, there is a possible bright light in our future. If the so-called "Progressive" party gets in, we will most surely become so financially bereft and torn by civil wars and crime in the streets - as a nation - that we will all soon be forced to fend for ourselves. That means that if there is ever a free election again, most voters will put their mark by a Conservative candidate once again!
:!:
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

It always strikes me odd that the first thing a lot of city people do when they move to the country, is to try to make it more city like.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I'm reminded of a lady from CA who was going to build near me and I was giving her a bid on installing the solar system I had already designed for her. We met at her property and she remarked that she had heard gunfire that morning. I said yea, lots of people shoot around here. She commented that the HOA should make a rule against it. I informed her there wasn't an HOA. She then suggested we form one. At that point I let her know that no one who lived around here would want one, and even if she did somehow manage to get one going, it wouldn't affect people already there, and I further informed her it was me she heard shooting, and if she did get something like that through, I would start shooting at 8am every morning and keep shooting till 5pm until she moved back to California. I didnt get the job, she left and never came back and the foundation sat there for 10 years.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Like the T-shirt says
"the police respond at 60 miles per hour, the .357 magnum responds at 1200 feet per second".
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Thanks a lot sore shoulder, I think she moved over here next to me, for a while. She was always complaing about the shooting and hunting around here, but would call when she broke something or needed help. I told her it was my range next door and my buddies range and gunshop across the pond. She's moved elsewhere now. She also adapted cats from all over and let them FREE RANGE, it's cruel to keep them in captivity. Cat's are gone now too.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

sore shoulder wrote:I'm reminded of a lady from CA ...I didn,t get the job, she left and never came back and the foundation sat there for 10 years.
Good work, Sore Shoulder! You would not have been happy with her as a neighbor, anyway - not worth the job!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

walks with gun wrote:AJMD429, you hit the nail on the head there.
+1
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

sore shoulder wrote:I'm reminded of a lady from CA who was going to build near me and I was giving her a bid on installing the solar system I had already designed for her. We met at her property and she remarked that she had heard gunfire that morning. I said yea, lots of people shoot around here. She commented that the HOA should make a rule against it. I informed her there wasn't an HOA. She then suggested we form one. At that point I let her know that no one who lived around here would want one, and even if she did somehow manage to get one going, it wouldn't affect people already there, and I further informed her it was me she heard shooting, and if she did get something like that through, I would start shooting at 8am every morning and keep shooting till 5pm until she moved back to California. I didnt get the job, she left and never came back and the foundation sat there for 10 years.

I love it... sounds like something I'd do/say... :lol: 8) 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

walks with gun wrote:Thanks a lot sore shoulder, I think she moved over here next to me, for a while. She was always complaing about the shooting and hunting around here, but would call when she broke something or needed help. I told her it was my range next door and my buddies range and gunshop across the pond. She's moved elsewhere now. She also adapted cats from all over and let them FREE RANGE, it's cruel to keep them in captivity. Cat's are gone now too.
Ug, cats. I've dispatched several that wandered on to my property in the course of my duties as a steward of the wildlife on my land. I also have a very accurate Looniness scale based on cats per person in a household.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

"Rural' people rarely display the arrogance of wanting to force 'urban' people to adopt their way of life, but too many spoiled insulated urbanites think nothing of forcing their narrow world-view on those in rural areas."

So why do rural folk insist on police response like they'd have if they lived 7 blocks from the police station?

---------

When someone pulled that, " I killed them all'" trick on me, I used to lock them up for violating our state law against false police report. Never convicted anyone but saw to it they spent 12-15 hours in the precinct lockup. Only a stone jerk lies to police and makes them risk lives in speeding to the scene of a non-existant shooting.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I think the California lady moved next to me, with her horses.

She came over one day last year, upset because her cat was missing. I had trapped it earlier in the year, thought it was a feral cat. She threw a fit and I released it. I told her that her cat was probably missing because there are coyotes around here and they thought cats were a nice snack. She turned around to leave and mumbled that she thought I had probably poisoned it.

I was shocked and very insulted by her insinuation. Left me speechless, which seldom happens.
I can guarantee that I would NEVER poison her cat!!!
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

2571 wrote:
When someone pulled that, " I killed them all'" trick on me, I used to lock them up for violating our state law against false police report. Never convicted anyone but saw to it they spent 12-15 hours in the precinct lockup.
It's all becoming clear. So you abused your police powers to arrest a victim using a trumped up charge simply because they annoyed you into doing your job.

Only a stone jerk lies to police and makes them risk lives in speeding to the scene of a non-existant shooting.
Thats a cheap assessment of someones fears and need for help. What did you sign up for? Shame on you.
11B30
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

walks with gun wrote:It always strikes me odd that the first thing a lot of city people do when they move to the country, is to try to make it more city like.
absolutely true!

some folks, like my wife and i, live rurally for the peace, quiet and serenity it affords us in our later years, and we can have horses.

we have lived rurally for the last 15 years.

every one near us has at least two dogs and at least one firearm. it is NOT unusual to hear gunshots and i, myself, routinely, shoot my rimfire rifles (and on occasions, centerfire). i have built up target berms in order to shoot safely.

it "Chaps my hide" that the city slickers are the ones who try to force us to give up our firearms. fortunately, we have never had reason to call for LE and hope we never will, but if we did/do, it would take them more than 5-6 minutes to get to us...a human body can bleed to death in less than a minute. and...I'm too darn old to be going toe-to-toe with young hooligans any more...col Colt can represent me... :D

i can't think of any better reason to keep firearms, than to defend ones self and their loved ones despite what "Legislators" may believe...
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

walks with gun wrote:It always strikes me odd that the first thing a lot of city people do when they move to the country, is to try to make it more city like.
Yep, and I don't entirely understand it. I moved to my small town in Oregon from L.A. because it wasn't like CA (population 6,000 vs, 8 million). I've seen this kind of thinking (bring CA with you) here and it bothers me, plus the city fathers seem to think growth is good and more people, restaurants, dollar stores and auto stores are needed... :cry:
Mike
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

sore shoulder wrote:
2571 wrote:
When someone pulled that, " I killed them all'" trick on me, I used to lock them up for violating our state law against false police report. Never convicted anyone but saw to it they spent 12-15 hours in the precinct lockup.
It's all becoming clear. So you abused your police powers to arrest a victim using a trumped up charge simply because they annoyed you into doing your job.

Only a stone jerk lies to police and makes them risk lives in speeding to the scene of a non-existant shooting.
Thats a cheap assessment of someones fears and need for help. What did you sign up for? Shame on you.
I'm not the only person who dislikes pony police calls. They are a one year felony here.

Jeopardizing totally uninvolved people by lying to the police is just morally wrong. Somebody failed in your upbringing.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

2571 wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:
2571 wrote:

I'm not the only person who dislikes pony police calls. They are a one year felony here.

Jeopardizing totally uninvolved people by lying to the police is just morally wrong. Somebody failed in your upbringing.

You need to relax and eat more oatmeal. This tangent started with a joke. But one based in reality. And the premise was the gentleman had invaders on his property, so not exactly a false report. If you locked someone up for simply exaggerating the details of a crime in progress I would suggest the misaligned morals are not mine.
11B30
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Sore Shoulder, I kept wondering why he had that attitude, and then I saw he was in Detroit. I grew up there and thank the Army for sending me to Oklahoma, where I have stayed and became a Deputy Sheriff, now retired. I never in my years as a Deputy thought like he does. But I sort of understand, in the 50's and early 60's it was merely dangerous, Now it is a hell hole. I was back there late last year and don't think I will go back, it is close to being a third world country. If he is a Police Officer there he needs our prayers. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!