Texas open carry

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Texas open carry

Post by JNG »

Big news is that in Texas you are now allowed to open carry with a back-ground check. Big deal! In Ohio, you have been able to carry open since the 1800's. Now, you can carry in anyplace and not break the law. But in big cities there may be issues, though
you may go through issues, but not charged.

Good going to the Texans!

I still have my gun hidden, except in the Southen hills, where they do not even blink.

Joe
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: Texas open carry

Post by wecsoger »

Yeah, our buckeye state seems to have been conveniently forgotten in the, "thousands will die in Texas!" narrative.

Our local or metro police departments still get over-excited at times over open carry, especially the younger troops.

Have fun with that Texas, let us know how it works out.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Actually, since in TX you have to have a CHL (now just called a "Carry License" or something like that), I'll still keep mine covered. But, I won't worry about the occasional flash or such. I don't see me carrying my Colt SAAs in my western holster into the local eatery or such...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I "think" (uh oh) there are 44 states with open carry. It's totally a non-issue.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

North Carolina is one which I currentl enjoy, although I do get some looks when strolling around with my Vaquero on my hip. :D

Now later this year when I retire and move to Az I wont even need a permit to conceal cary :D :D 8)
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

JReed wrote:North Carolina is one which I currentl enjoy, although I do get some looks when strolling around with my Vaquero on my hip. :D

Now later this year when I retire and move to Az I wont even need a permit to conceal cary :D :D 8)
Where abouts are you thinking about? North of Prescott, or east of the 17 on 260 looks good to me.....10 acres of scrub I can shoot off the end of a nice Airstream....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JReed wrote:North Carolina is one which I currentl enjoy, although I do get some looks when strolling around with my Vaquero on my hip. :D

You're too young to retire... you need a job w/Dillon... so when I visit...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Griff wrote:Actually, since in TX you have to have a CHL (now just called a "Carry License" or something like that), I'll still keep mine covered. But, I won't worry about the occasional flash or such. I don't see me carrying my Colt SAAs in my western holster into the local eatery or such...
I'm with Griff.
This open carry goes against a GREAT piece of advice from Ed Lovette in his book "The Snubby Revolver"...."by the time your opponent learns that you are armed, it should be too late for him to do anything about it."
However, it can be use to ones advantage, as the bad guys are checking out the OC'ers, that can give one the opportunity to apply the "too late" strategy. :twisted:
I would like to know if sword canes and Bowies (knives over 5 1/2) are now legal for CC. - Brian
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'm sure open carry will deter bad guys that don't happen to have a firearm, but I just hope that open carry (anywhere) won't urge some bad guy(s) to open the dance by taking out the obvious threat to their endeavor, first.

Mine stays covert............

BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Pete44ru wrote:.

I'm sure open carry will deter bad guys that don't happen to have a firearm, but I just hope that open carry (anywhere) won't urge some bad guy(s) to open the dance by taking out the obvious threat to their endeavor, first.

Mine stays covert.............
Sometime ago I did read on another forum of an OC'r that the bg's put the sneak on, was knocked out and shot with his own gun, then off the bg's went. - Brian
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BrianSH wrote: I would like to know if sword canes and Bowies (knives over 5 1/2) are now legal for CC. - Brian
No. They are still "illegal knives".

Basically, all the laws did is change a CHL to an HL. I'm waiting for all the pre- January 01 language to filter out before I try to wade through it.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PE.46.htm
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Yep, we have open carry, in Arkansas now, but it's been hotly debated by some as to whether it is legal or not. I have open carried a little bit where I know I won't be challenged but generally I just continue to carry concealed because that way I can just go on about my business pretty much wherever I want to go, and no one is the wiser.

However, I often spot people carrying even concealed because many do such a sorry job of it. I spotted a big guy in Best Buy the other day, wearing a skin tight tee shirt with "Sig" on the front and a gun slogan on the back, and sure enough he had a small Sig carried in the 8:00 o'clock position under his shirt. He might as well have been open carrying.

I hope more people will carry openly in the future, but I don't generally feel comfortable doing it, except in the rural areas.
NRA Life Member, Patron
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

vancelw wrote:
BrianSH wrote: I would like to know if sword canes and Bowies (knives over 5 1/2) are now legal for CC. - Brian
No. They are still "illegal knives".

Basically, all the laws did is change a CHL to an HL. I'm waiting for all the pre- January 01 language to filter out before I try to wade through it.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PE.46.htm
Thanks Vance. I've never understood such laws, as knives and swords are very limited range weapons. Like Lynn Thompson said, there are no shoot-thoughts with swords and machetes. And I do know a few women that cannot or will not carry a gun, but are open to a folder. -Brian
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

The illegal knives laws are old. Designed to keep such things out of fiSt fights and night clubs.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Same reason at time (1950s) San Antonio outlawed locking blade knives (rarely enforced now) due to gang use.

Sword canes were a very common weapon in fights in the 1830s, aside from pistols. Then Bowie used his famous nobody-really-knows-what-it-looked like knife to basically disembowel a couple guys AFTER they stabbed him with sword canes, and Bowies became the in thing.

So they made them all illegal.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Open carry is indeed a non issue in most states. But I'm still amazed that some people feel the need to push buttons by doing so in city situations. With all the antigun sentiments out there today; why make an in your face statement by wearing a gun in your local streets or businesses?
Just because we can legally do something, doesn't mean we should. Gun owners wont be scared by seeing it, but it can create a lot of havoc to non gun owners who don't know the laws. Why scare people just to make a statement?
I've had a CCW permit for decades, and regularly carry, but I make sure it's not visible, and that it stays so, unless I need it. I carry openly when I'm out in a very rural area, on hunting or fishing trips. Doing so to push people's buttons just makes us look as stupid as some people already think gun owners are.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Personally, I don't think it's a big deal. I think Texas is kinda following with the "Don't Mess With Texas" message to all the anti-gunners and obumma.

One downside; open carry is kinda like a "Shoot Me First" sign... :mrgreen:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

oops....wrong button. Meant that to be a PM
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

marlinman93 wrote:Open carry is indeed a non issue in most states. But I'm still amazed that some people feel the need to push buttons by doing so in city situations. With all the antigun sentiments out there today; why make an in your face statement by wearing a gun in your local streets or businesses?
Just because we can legally do something, doesn't mean we should. Gun owners wont be scared by seeing it, but it can create a lot of havoc to non gun owners who don't know the laws. Why scare people just to make a statement?
I've had a CCW permit for decades, and regularly carry, but I make sure it's not visible, and that it stays so, unless I need it. I carry openly when I'm out in a very rural area, on hunting or fishing trips. Doing so to push people's buttons just makes us look as stupid as some people already think gun owners are.
I agree, mostly. But, "A Right unused becomes a Right forfeited."
If it's legal, I'm not going to become part of the Left's argument against Gun Rights......
Open carry was constitutional in Washington from the beginning. But, about 20 years ago doing so would get you planted face first on the street by LEOs.....A small group of people, me included, started to have open carry meets, and a lawyer friend wrote official-type letters to Cite, County, and State law enforcement agencies. It took a couple years, but LEOs were finally educated on what the law says: That a man with a gun is not automatically breaking the law. Just like a Black Person in a White neighborhood is not automatically wrong.
Personally, I don't care if exercising my constitutional rights "pushes" a few buttons. It's about time a whole lot of "buttons" are pushed in this country to remind TPTB just who the he!! is running this country.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Open carry has been legal here for as long as I can remember. I rarely see anyone carrying here in this town, I think 3 times in the 10 years I've been here. Me, I'm always concealed. The only time it's open carry is at the range, or in the woods. To open carry in town attracts unwanted, and unnecessary attention.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

TedH wrote:Open carry has been legal here for as long as I can remember. I rarely see anyone carrying here in this town, I think 3 times in the 10 years I've been here. Me, I'm always concealed. The only time it's open carry is at the range, or in the woods. To open carry in town attracts unwanted, and unnecessary attention.
:D :D With all due respect, you could be counted as one of Obama's "Thousands that want tougher gun laws". That's how those dishonest buggas roll... :(

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

BlaineG wrote:
TedH wrote:Open carry has been legal here for as long as I can remember. I rarely see anyone carrying here in this town, I think 3 times in the 10 years I've been here. Me, I'm always concealed. The only time it's open carry is at the range, or in the woods. To open carry in town attracts unwanted, and unnecessary attention.
:D :D With all due respect, you could be counted as one of Obama's "Thousands that want tougher gun laws". That's how those dishonest buggas roll... :(
I beg to differ. There are far to many gun laws as it is, and I certainly am vehemently opposed to anything Obama is trying to do. It should be a personal choice to carry concealed or out in plain view. My choice to carry concealed is strictly a tactical decision.
NRA Life Member
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

A while back I talked with the man that teaches CCW classes here in Arkansas. I asked him about the open carry issue. He told me that it would not be worth the problems that would come from it.
That is what I thought about it before I called him. There are times I would like to open carry but I think I can still draw and fire from under a coat, vest, or shirt fast enough.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

TedH wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
I beg to differ. There are far to many gun laws as it is, and I certainly am vehemently opposed to anything Obama is trying to do. It should be a personal choice to carry concealed or out in plain view. My choice to carry concealed is strictly a tactical decision.
You are totally correct, but What I try not to do is in any way take a public side against any legal position on guns. It's my belief that it could be used against us.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Here's what Texas open carry means to me.

Since Reconstruction, handguns in Texas have been highly restricted. Prior to the enactment of CHL laws in the 1990s, it was a crime (felony I think, but can't remember that far back) to carry a handgun. There were "defenses", that had to be proven by the person charged and all those defenses had been interpreted by prior court cases. So, they did not necessarily mean what you thought they meant.

Prior to Open Carry, if I put a belt holster on and carried my handgun down the driveway, got on the rural county road and walked down to my pasture gate, then re-entered my property, I had broken the law if I didn't have a CHL or if the handgun was exposed. Now, after January 01, 2016 I can do just that and not break the law.

Or, I can be driving from the deer lease to the house and stop in the convenience store and not be a felon because I forgot I had my handgun on by belt.

Still have to have an HL (handgun License) but it's a start.

Tactically, concealed is the way to carry, but that's not the point of the new laws.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

BlaineG wrote:
TedH wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
You are totally correct, but What I try not to do is in any way take a public side against any legal position on guns. It's my belief that it could be used against us.
I agree 100%. It's just my personal choice to conceal.
NRA Life Member
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

vancelw wrote:Here's what Texas open carry means to me.

Since Reconstruction, handguns in Texas have been highly restricted. Prior to the enactment of CHL laws in the 1990s, it was a crime (felony I think, but can't remember that far back) to carry a handgun. There were "defenses", that had to be proven by the person charged and all those defenses had been interpreted by prior court cases. So, they did not necessarily mean what you thought they meant.

Prior to Open Carry, if I put a belt holster on and carried my handgun down the driveway, got on the rural county road and walked down to my pasture gate, then re-entered my property, I had broken the law if I didn't have a CHL or if the handgun was exposed. Now, after January 01, 2016 I can do just that and not break the law.

Or, I can be driving from the deer lease to the house and stop in the convenience store and not be a felon because I forgot I had my handgun on by belt.

Still have to have an HL (handgun License) but it's a start.

Tactically, concealed is the way to carry, but that's not the point of the new laws.
+1

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

A few places have given notice that they will post the no open carry signs. However, Kroger grocery stores have said that they will comply with the new law. I see a possible jump in business for Kroger.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Maybe they can classify it as "Indecent exposure?" I got a snub and would rather no one see it. Get a zipper holster and keep it zipped?
Seriously now, here in Utah we have open carry. I have the CC permit too and they are easy to get. We have lived here 11 years. In town, I have only seen OC at the most five times. Yeah, I know some might say they were plain cloths cops but these guys looked like a brick short. We see OC on the trails when we go ATV`ing. What I like best is I don't worry about being printed or the wind blowing my shirt or jacket open.
I concede there MIGHT be some little truth about losing a right if it`s never used. But mite`s are small. Many times on these gun chat site`s I read a lot about guys claiming they open carry. They don't take me out much anymore, but when I used to get out I very seldom ever seen people open carrying. You almost could say, never. I do like to know I can though.
A couple years ago we were on a ATV club ride. We had rode quite a ways over the mountain range and came out at Panguitch, a town near Bryce Canyon N.P. Lot`s of tourists and the club wanted to go to the Smokehouse, a nice BBq. I had a revolver on my belt plus a Rossi 92 .357 on my ride.
I had the wife go in and ask the owner could I bring my rifle in. I wasn't going to leave it on the quad that I couldn't lock. No problem. There was a bunch of college age kids. They no doubt were tourists from back east or California. They got a charge out of it and asked me was I hunting. No, but the country around there just had some MJ farms raided. Several had been just a couple miles out. Actually, I believe there were about six raided and I had been close to all of them on my rides. Everyone arrested were tended by illegals probably in debt to the coyotes and everything was/is run by the cartel`s. At the time we also had a so called "Mountain Man" loose that hit a couple dozen cabins over about 7 years. He would break in, in winter when they were closed. He would steal supplys and dry camp summers and a small number of his cache`s were found well stocked with guns and gear. We have a couple of friends who`s cabin got hit and a rifle stolen. He would shoot up and
mess up cabins that had pictures of christ in them. Also there still is a "unsolved" murder of a woman who`s body was found in the general area he ranged. Well, they did catch him. This is one reason I carry. In better weather we are on the trails a lot. It`s our thing.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/s ... -1.1306318

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'd personally prefer to surprise a bad guy with my concealed carry gun, and not give him notice that I'm carrying it, by open carry! The element of surprise gives an edge, and I'm not willing to give away any advantage I can get against an opponent.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jkingrph
Levergunner

Post by jkingrph »

I have my concealed permit here in Texas since it first passed, around 20 years ago. Now I can carry open, nope. The trouble is that too many businesses by posting a sign in the proper legal format here, can ban carry. Technically they can ban concealed carry, but, if it's properly concealed how do they know.

I went to the local post office this week, oddly enough to pick up a new to me Marlin lever action rifle(C&R legal due to age) and they had a sign on the door, hand made saying that handguns were not permitted. Clerk had no problem with knowing I was receiving a rifle, after all it's rural Texas.