The Found Model 73 Rifle.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

The Found Model 73 Rifle.

Post by cshold »

Interesting video.
Strange, no brass lifter.

https://youtu.be/kkboM5FBAd0
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: The Found Model 73 Rifle.

Post by Griff »

Yep... we discussed it quite a bit earlier this year... 132 year old Winchester 1873 found leaning against tree. I did notice something in the case at the beginning of the video that might be the carrier. Haven't been able to see it clearly. Wonder if the Park Service has gotten it back from wherever they sent it?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

The video said they get it back sometime in 2016 Griff.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Back then that rifle could have been nothing but a broken tool and discarded as such, now the thought of leaving a Winchester 73 is inconceivable but I'd love to be first to find such an abandoned firearm... :mrgreen:
Mike Armstrong found a Hi Wall that had been long forgotten, I'd love know more about that story too.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

I bought this first model Hamilton #7 from a guy that said he found it setting in or by a tree while he was hunting in Illinois. He thought it might be his uncles or great uncles. I wrote down the history, but I can't find it in my book right at the moment.
The second gun is a Hamilton #15
The bottom is a Hamilton #27

TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Years ago ( probably 50 + years ago ) my grandparents moved into a new ( used ) house and when moving some items into the new attic my grandfather found an old gun case and in it was an old Winchester 1894, octagon barrel in 38-55. The butt stock had been cut down for a smaller shooter at sometime in the past and then a spacer had been added with a leather wrap to cover this up. I'm thinking that rifle weighed 9-10 lbs.

My Dad used this when he first started hunting deer after we moved to Wisconsin from Indiana in 1965. He ultimately traded it for a Belgium Browning o/u 12 ga.

Regards, Vic