Took my Dad hunting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Took my Dad hunting

Post by hondo1892 »

My parents were down for a visit and I talked my Dad into going out with me on opening morning of deer season. He's seventy nine now and has bad knees so I put him in a blind that looks over a small winter wheat field I planted. The ridges produce better for bucks but with his knees he just can't make it up them any longer. About ten in the morning I heard a shot from the field and grabbed my pack and seat then started for my Dad. By the time I got to the field, Dad had tried to find the young doe he had shot. There's a steep drop into a small creek then it goes up again to another ridge. He said he just went a little ways down the hill but just about couldn't get back up. He knows better but still tries to do things he shouldn't. I followed the blood trail and found the doe about seventy five yards from where he shot her. I loaned him my Marlin 336 with a scope mounted on it for the hunt. I took him out to shoot it on Thursday to check the zero. It needed a little adjustment to get it back to center. He shot her through the heart the nicest shot I've ever seen him make. I wish he had a shot at one of the eights that is on my place but didn't happen. He really enjoyed the hunt and I wish that I taken my camera to get a photo of him and the deer. He told me that was probably the last time he would go out. He was my hunting partner for thirty years before he quit. I'm glad I was able to get him out at least one last time and have him score some meet also. Now I just need to get my daughter a deer in her sights. She has become my new hunting partner when she's not working or at school.
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Took my Dad hunting

Post by hayabusa »

hondo1892 what a heart warming event.
Daddy died when I was a freshman in high school. He was a squirrel hunter & I his partner until hie heart attack.
Sure wish we could hunt once again.
thanks
hayabusa
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Very cool story! We wish the best for Pops.

Hint...don't let him cool down.....make it a point to give Pops some trigger time.........right up to next season.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Good story, its hard watching parents and grandparents age I missed taking my Dad elk hunting this year his health wasnt up to a horse ride in the mountains when the snow hits he can whack one on the round bale feeder. My Dad taught me to hunt and my Granddad taught me to shoot he was good Ive seen him take birds on the wing with a 22 rifle. To the memories we made in our youth. danny
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I wish I could have got out in the field with my Dad one more time.

He didn't much like shooting animals, but he loved to hunt them. Loved being in the outdoors.

He had a stroke a while back, and then he fell down and busted a hip, and then my stepmother passed. He had to spend some time in a wheelchair and that and depression was the down hill slide for him. He passed in August. Not a surprise, but sad nonetheless.

The day before he passed he said that he wished we could get a just a couple more hogs.

Treasure those moments. I'm thinking that there are not enough of them left.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A nice tale of two hunters, as close as father and son can get..... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Outstanding Hondo

GK well said. My Dad and my Boy and I had a trip planned for the weekend when he passed on a Wednesday. Hunting trips were the finest times we shared, it is the same for my son, he is turning into a good hunter :D
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I miss hunting with my dad. Great story!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Great story. Best wishes to you both.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Thanks for all the kind words fella's. My Dad is a great guy, tries to be everything to all of us. I just wish life wasn't so short for guys like him.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Great story!

Like many others said... "I wish I could do the same again too..."

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Great story, and it tugs at the hearts of those of us who will never again hunt with our dads.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Dad took me bird hunting first time when I was 14. He was killed later in the day in a car accident. I treasure that one hunt with him in my mind. He's been gone these 50 years.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Tried to take my Dad hunting once... he begged off... saying that as a kid, all the older brothers had farm chores, he was given a rifle, a couple of bullets and told to "waste 'em"... he always looked at hunting as a chore... didn't enjoy it in the least. We spent many an hour out on the ocean or lakes fishing tho'. THAT he loved. Wished I listened more when he told me about what baits and lures to use.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

thank you for posting...I'd give a 1/2 year's salary to go hunting with my Dad one more time, and to stop at the Grist Mill Dinner for the usual...Dad's been gone for 18 years and so have I...great memories though... :)