Yard pests

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Yard pests

Post by Daisyman »

Nath,
Like you with your foxes, I decided I'd had enough of the vermin on my estate, too. Of course mine's only 115' by 200' and another half lot of 57 X 100. :lol: Anyway, I had a post earlier this summer about being overrun by squirrels, so I live trapped about 65 of them and took them to the country. Then the neighbors BIG walnut produced enough nuts to feed 200 squirrels and we had imports from everywhere. They weren't interested in the bait in the trap so, like you, I decided to use a primitive means of getting rid of a few.... A 5mm Sheridan Silver Streak made in the 1940's. Seven pumps and a 14.3 grain pellet and down they come. This one was doing a peek-a-boo around a tree about 20 feet away with only the head showing, but I got one the other day who was about 30 feet up and I was about 40 from the tree. :) The rest were anywhere in between.
Here's the tally sheet, 78 so far!!

The first pic is of two I got in the trap at the same time in 2010, double trouble!

[URL=http://s376.photobucket.com/user/fergus ... e.jpg.html]Image

Last edited by Daisyman on Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Levergunner

Re: Yard pests

Post by 2571 »

My daddy taught me to shoot tree rats in the LEFT eye.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

He weren't stickin' his left eye around the tree!! :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Good for you. I'm having the same issue in my heavily-wooded back yard. But the little buggers have invaded the attic, so now they have to go.

I'm impressed with your tally! :mrgreen: I've got a long way to go.
boolitshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by boolitshooter »

Good job getting rid of the tree rats. Do you eat them?
What is that white tag on the trigger guard for?
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Daisyman wrote:Nath,
Like you with your foxes, I decided I'd had enough of the vermin on my estate...
Anyway, I had a post earlier this summer about being overrun by squirrels...
Wow, here I am about 95% of the way towards getting myself "one free" fishing lure from the Mepps Lure Company -- and here you are, about ready to fill a whole tackle box!

Seriously, if you are not now saving those squirrel tails, you should start saving them and then Send Them Off To Mepps For $$ or Lures!

Good luck hunting -- or fishin'! :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

boolitshooter wrote:Good job getting rid of the tree rats. Do you eat them?
What is that white tag on the trigger guard for?
That's my I.D. tag. I have several and tag them all so I can keep track of which is which. I guess I should mention that my handle "daisyman" is one I've had for a long, and comes from collecting tinplate air guns, the foremost being Daisy's. As all collections evolve, we find there's other ones we like better. In my case its Sheridans. They were wonderfully built and worked longer than any of their competitor's, even Benjamins. I still like the old tinplates but for hunting, its hard to beat a Sheridan. The one shown is out of the late 40's and still works like it should and doubt if its ever been rebuilt.

Here's a pic. If I remember right, the ones shown all shoot and I've never had to fix any of them. I've had a few that didn't, of course, but were few and far between.

Last edited by Daisyman on Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Old No7 wrote:
Like you with your foxes, I decided I'd had enough of the vermin on my estate...
Wow, here I am about 95% of the way towards getting myself "one free" fishing lure from the Mepps Lure Company -- and here you are, about ready to fill a whole tackle box!

Seriously, if you are not now saving those squirrel tails, you should start saving them and then Send Them Off To Mepps For $$ or Lures!

Old No7
Thanks for the information, I didn't know anything about that. How do you get one?
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

WOW, on both counts
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Good for you. I'm having the same issue in my heavily-wooded back yard. But the little buggers have invaded the attic, so now they have to go.

I'm impressed with your tally! :mrgreen: I've got a long way to go.
That tally sheet has hung on the refrigerator since the first of the year. Every time I hauled one away we marked it off. So far they haven't gotten into the house. Good luck with yours!

Irv
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have the Sheridan I bought in 1968 for about $30.00. I saved up my hay baling money to get it. won't be too long and I hope to be watching My Grandsons learn to shoot with it. :D .
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have two big Beech trees within range of my bedroom window, the squirrels are a constant source of sport as they come out of the nearby wood. I use a .22lr most of the time. The GF lives in town so I use a Slavia 630 .177 to knock them out of her London Plane tree, the difference between town & country squirrels is funny, the town squirrels wait to see if I'm going to feed them, giving me an easy shot, the country squirrels disappear as soon as I open the window.
When I was a gamekeeper I sold all my squirrel and stoat tails to a fur & feather company called Veniard.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've got a Benjamin 392 that I've had about 22 years. It's a solid thumper for sure.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Daisyman wrote:
Old No7 wrote:

Old No7
Thanks for the information, I didn't know anything about that. How do you get one?
For the info on Mepps Lures in exchange for squirrel tails, there was a link embedded above (in the words "Send Them Off...").

Here it is again, not embedded in the text, so you can more easily see it:
http://www.mepps.com/programs/squirrel-tail

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

that is an impressive looking collection of sheridans !!
cable
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Old No7 wrote:
Daisyman wrote:
Old No7 wrote:

Old No7
For the info on Mepps Lures in exchange for squirrel tails, there was a link embedded above (in the words "Send Them Off...").

Here it is again, not embedded in the text, so you can more easily see it:
http://www.mepps.com/programs/squirrel-tail

Old No7

I was tired last night and misplaced my glasses so didn't see the link. Got on here with them on tonight and saw it right off. Thanks :oops:
Last edited by Daisyman on Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I've always like .22 shorts. But these days they cost more than long rifles. Never tried an air gun. I have a nice RWS Diana which is great for paper, but I'm not sure it would be up for squirrels.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

hfcable wrote:that is an impressive looking collection of sheridans !!
Thank you. That's a lot of years of looking when stuff could still be found for a reasonable price. These are probably the best ones I have, a pair of Model A Super Grades made from 1947 to 53. They had walnut Monte Carlo stocks, ball valves, bronze bodies, the best of the best. They only made 2130 of them and they cost retail $56.50 when introduced in 1947. That was a lot of money in those days.......couldn't sell them. These are all original.

Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

jeepnik wrote:I've always like .22 shorts. But these days they cost more than long rifles. Never tried an air gun. I have a nice RWS Diana which is great for paper, but I'm not sure it would be up for squirrels.
I'll bet it would work just fine. What caliber is it?
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

What do model A supergrade bring now ? I almost hate to ask :mrgreen:
cable
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

hfcable wrote:What do model A supergrade bring now ? I almost hate to ask :mrgreen:
The last one I saw sell was one made up of leftover (reject?)( rough) parts with no serial number on the receiver. That was several years ago and it went for $1200 if I remember right. Crazy!!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Daisyman wrote:
hfcable wrote:What do model A supergrade bring now ? I almost hate to ask :mrgreen:
The last one I saw sell was one made up of leftover (reject?)( rough) parts with no serial number on the receiver. That was several years ago and it went for $1200 if I remember right. Crazy!!
wow. but on the other hand , some high end air guns cost that much and more today; thanks
cable
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Yep, you're right.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Daisyman wrote:
jeepnik wrote:I've always like .22 shorts. But these days they cost more than long rifles. Never tried an air gun. I have a nice RWS Diana which is great for paper, but I'm not sure it would be up for squirrels.
.22 around 800 fps.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Impressive collection, Daisyman. :mrgreen:

Quite a tally of critters, too! Are you living in some sort of Alfred
Hitchcock movie?! ("The Squirrels.....")

I've gotten 2 groundhogs and a couple of chipmunks this year, the
last about 10 minutes ago. All with a 22 cal. RWS 48.

Mice are my nemesis (nemeses?) this year. But there's another thread
on that subject.

-Stretch
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jeepnik wrote:
Daisyman wrote:
.22 around 800 fps.
IMO, that would knock the stuffing out of squills....My 60s Crosman 760 (non-rifled .177 pellet or BB) would knock the stuffing out of them at about 500 fps.....A few months ago, I DRTed a nasty coon on my back porch with a BB to the skull....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV