One-group sighting-in.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

One-group sighting-in.

Post by AJMD429 »

I often do a really FAST sighting in of scopes by using a cheapie laser mounted on a 'scope mount' that affixes the laser to the scope tube. Shoot a few shots then put the gun in a rest with the scope sighted on your original aiming point, then adjust the laser dot to be in the center of your group (if you bump the gun so the scope goes off your aiming point, just move the gun so it goes back there). Then, once your laser dot is on the group, and the crosshairs are still on your original aiming point, all you have to do is adjust the crosshairs to center on the laser dot. Obviously, firing a 'confirmation' group is a good idea, but there really is no reason for the method to have any inaccuracy.

You can do the same thing with iron sights if you have a 'barrel-clamp' mount or some other way to affix the laser without obstructing your view. Shoot your group. Mount the laser (it can be mounted in advance, but if on the barrel, you may worry it affected impact), then put the dot where your bullet holes went, keeping your irons on the original aiming point (again, using a rest to hold the gun). Binoculars or a spotting scope can help if you are sighting in at a long range. Once your laser dot is on the bullet holes (group) then just adjust the irons to be aimed at the laser dot. If you're sighting in at very long range or in bright light, take a spare chunk of bicycle reflector (red is perfect) with you and put it where the group center is, then go back to the bench and move the gun so your laser lights that up, then adjust your irons to that point.

Works fast and is quite accurate, and one way to quickly sight in with essentially only one group. You can fire the group offhand or whatever you prefer - the gun rest is just for when you're adjusting the sights to hold the gun still.

And no - you don't have to "use laser sights" to do this - take the laser and mount off and put it away until the next time you want to sight in with your scope or irons. :wink:

As an aside, here's a nice set of videos on laser sight adjustments. http://www.crimsontrace.com/support/sighting-guide/?

The one on 'parallax' needs to be read by many people I know who get frustrated with zeroing their laser sights, especially ones offset to the side.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Re: One-group sighting-in.

Post by Walker »

Thanks Doc, I'll remember that one.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

You don't need a laser to get the same results..
Just place the gun in/on a sturdy rest (even a cut out cardboard box will do), center the scope on the target, then move the cross hairs or the center of your previously-fired group.. Voila! !!
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

If its a bolt action, take bolt out, put in gun rest or gun vice, or some other way to keep it immobile. Look down the barrel, move the rifle till while looking down the bore you can see your target, 25 yards. Then adjust scope reticle to line up on target. Then shoot to fine tune.

Steve
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Where's the FUN in that? I thought the whole point was endlessly chasing groups around on paper, so you burn up copious amounts of powder!!! :twisted: :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cfplinker
Levergunner

Post by cfplinker »

Griff wrote:Where's the FUN in that? I thought the whole point was endlessly chasing groups around on paper, so you burn up copious amounts of powder!!! :twisted: :P :lol:
I see that you have been to the "sight in day" at the local range.
Shoot safely, shoot well, and shoot often.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Griff you got it right. If it doesn't take at least 2 range days and a hundred rounds it isn't even worth getting out of bed for.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Buck Elliott wrote:You don't need a laser to get the same results..
Just place the gun in/on a sturdy rest (even a cut out cardboard box will do), center the scope on the target, then move the cross hairs or the center of your previously-fired group.. Voila! !!
that's how my Dad taught me. I've seen him do it with one shot . . . superDad :D
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

One shot should do it, if the shooter can shoot...

Makes you wonder how any game was ever harvested in the days before "technology" and the internet...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

I'm with Griff. You have got to take at least fifty rounds to sight in or it's no fun. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

cfplinker wrote:
Griff wrote:Where's the FUN in that? I thought the whole point was endlessly chasing groups around on paper, so you burn up copious amounts of powder!!! :twisted: :P :lol:
I see that you have been to the "sight in day" at the local range.
Yes, and studiously avoid them now that I know better!
Buck Elliott wrote:One shot should do it, if the shooter can shoot...
Makes you wonder how any game was ever harvested in the days before "technology" and the internet...
My Dad grew up during the Depression, and when I asked him to take me hunting, teach me all you know... his reply was... "... I'll do like my Dad, give you one shell, and if you don't bring a squirrel or two home, I'll beat your azzz!" He always viewed hunting as a CHORE, and with the many whippin's he got as a kid. But, give the man a fishin' pole, some bait or lures, and he was a master! He could spend a whole day out on the water fishin', and feel justified in the time spent whether he caught anything or not! He said that when money was too tight to afford ammo, he was given a pole, told to dig some worms... and catch dinner. His dad believed that while success when squirrel hunting was somehow assured, sometimes the fish just don't bite!

Interestingly, my uncles, (all older than Dad), thought hunting was the cat's meow! They didn't "get to go hunting" as youngsters , as the older boys, they all had farm chores that took priority!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Buck Elliott wrote:You don't need a laser to get the same results..
The problem is that if you nudge the gun even a slight amount (very likely to happen especially adjusting windage) you move it off target, and at that point you can no longer re-aim it, because you've moved the crosshairs already.

I used to do it that way but if the just-mounted scope was off six or right inches at 100 yards, the 'slight bump' would mean you still had to shoot another group or two to get that last 3/4th inch or so dialed in. My goal was a true one group sight-in.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

no worries, measure the distance between the X and the hole, count the clicks as you move it over the like amount. should get you to minute of prairie dog eh?