OT-Winchester Model 43 Info Needed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

OT-Winchester Model 43 Info Needed

Post by oldgerboy »

I recently got a Model 43 Winchester in a trade. It was a .22 Hornet with pretty much the worst barrel I've ever seen and an egg shaped chamber. We tried re-chambering to K-Hornet but the chamber is still egg shaped.

I want to re-barrel (but hang onto the original) but need info as to what they were originally chambered in. It appears that a whole bunch of chamberings besides the originals are possible but I'd like a little more info before doing any work. My Madis book doesn't have it listed so I'm at a loss for info. I'm searching the internet but so far no luck.

Help ... Please.
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

22 hornet, 25-20, 32-20, 218 bee.
You should have enough metal to clean it out and make a 218 Bee out of it.

Byron
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I had one in .218 bee 40 years ago. Didnt know what I had at the time and let it get away from me. They are sought after!
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

The barrel is worse than a hundred year old sewer pipe inside and it shoots like one. That's why it didn't get changed to a Bee. Also, we had the K-Hornet reamer. My thoughts center around a new barrel and a K-Hornet chamber since I have a magazine already and I had a K once and loved it ... of course I sold it.
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

Another thought came to mind. We have a .32 H&R reamer at the shop and I have an almost new .30-30 Win 94 barrel ... A nice 16 1/4 inch barreled carbine would be nice with maybe stocked to the muzzle. I just checked and I could use an aftermarket Hornet magazine (wouldn't want to bugger up the original).

Just some thinking/dreaming time on a rainy afternoon.
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

oldgerboy wrote:Another thought came to mind. We have a .32 H&R reamer at the shop and I have an almost new .30-30 Win 94 barrel ... A nice 16 1/4 inch barreled carbine would be nice with maybe stocked to the muzzle. I just checked and I could use an aftermarket Hornet magazine (wouldn't want to bugger up the original).

Just some thinking/dreaming time on a rainy afternoon.
I don't know what the 32 Mag is for pressure, but the 43 action isn't overly built. Load it down a little or shoot 32 Longs and shorts out of it shouldn't hurt anything though.
Is the bolt face for the hornet still large enough for the bigger cases too?

Byron
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

32 mag pressure (21,000 cup) is less than half of a Hornet (43,000 cup) according to the Speer book and the rim is only .030 bigger.

Like I said, a rainy day dream, but I have most of the pieces ... and I also have the dies. :roll:
DavidS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DavidS »

The Winchester model 43 was manufactured in 4 calibers. .22 Hornet,.218 Bee. 25-20WCF,32-20WCF. I have all 4 calibers. The action will develop head space on hot loads in .22 Hornet and 218 Bee. If you load down near the starting loads you should have no problems. Every now and then a barrel will show up on Gunbroker. The head space can be corrected by disassembiling the bolt and making the correct size shim to fit between the 2 parts. I have shot many a groundhog with my .22 Hornet with no problems. If you rechamber to 218 Bee or 25-20,32-20 you will need the clip for those rounds. Also the front of the bolt is unique to the .22 Hornet,218 Bee,25-20,32-20 are all based on the same case,so bolt and clip are the same. Hope this helps.
David S
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Do you think it could handel .256 win mag? I had a martini made up with it once, and it was a blast! That barrel could be saved if possible.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

...I wouild vote for 25-20 or 32-20.....keep it in an original caliber at least and restamp that on the barrel......
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

I thank everyone for their comments. I enjoy my rainy day dreaming especially when there is a basis for it. The Hornet or rather K-Hornet are coming to the forefront of choices as my favorites. I was leaning to the K and with what DavidS said, it makes sense to go that way because it would reduce back thrust and chance of headspace problems down the line. The barrel would not be original so caliber would not be an issue to me.

I will keep tabs on the auction sites for a fe weeks and see what shows up.

Thanks all, Gerry
Tomcatt57
Levergunner

Post by Tomcatt57 »

I have one in 22 Hornett that was made in 1951. It was given to me by a friend of my Mom. It's in great shape. I've only shot 20 rds through it. I guess I need to hang onto it.
Tomcatt
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Be careful - IIRC, the root of the bolt handle was the only locking lock on those.
levers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by levers »

Another suggestion might be to sleeve the chamber and reline the barrel. I don't know anything about the 43 but I've seen that done on other guns chambered for similarly powered cartridges.....
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

You're correct Pete44ru, the bolt handle does it all.

I'll keep this in mind Levers. For now I'm going to try to find another factory Hornet barrel.
DavidS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DavidS »

There are 2 locking lugs on the model 43 Winchester. The bolt handle is one and there is a small lug oposite the bolt handle,with a machined cut in the receiver for it. The problem is that the far lug should have been larger and since it locked up from the rear a stout load in 22 Hornet or 218 Bee would set the front part of the bolt back over time resulting in excessive head space. If you keep your reloads at or near a starting load you should have no problems. The 25-20 and 32-20 run at lower pressures and have not seemed to be a problem in the 43 action.
David S