A mineature 1911 in 9mm....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

A mineature 1911 in 9mm....

Post by AJMD429 »

My daughter has found the KelTec 9mm to her liking, actually more pleasant to shoot than the Ruger LCP in 380, and the light weight and slim nature makes it almost as easy to carry.

I prefer her to start her CCW years with something that has a manual safety, and can potentially be carried safely in hammer-down mode, as well. Sig makes an exposed hammer 1911-clone in both 380 and 9mm, so I decided to see what she prefers...

Here's some photos KelTec 9mm vs the Sig 9mm:

Overall about the same size. Weight a few ounces more (less recoil but heavier to carry)

Width about the same but grips flare some on the Sig.

Top view shows very slightly wider and squarer Sig profile.

Length identical, although profiles of rear differ due to exposed hammer of the Sig.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A mineature 1911 in 9mm....

Post by JerryB »

My grandson has a Kel Tec P11 that is sure a fine carrying little gun. Once in a while I slip it in my pocket when I don't have my .44spl on for a quick trip to town. With a spare 10 round mag in my back pocket I feel like 21 rounds of Golden Sabre should get me back home. It is a good shooter.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I had a P11 for a while. It absolutely would not function if limp-wristed.
I would pick the Sig.
My own choice was a snubby .357 for carry and a PPK for show.

Jack
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Doc,

No criticism intended, but in tiny little mind hammer down on a single action auto is a very dangerous way to carry.

Not in the accidental discharge way of dangerous, but in the way too slow/cumbersome in getting the pistol into action way.

I grew up with the 1911, maybe you did too. Few to no double action only pistols in those days. Your daughter will live her life in a world awash in them. So my inclination would be to emphasize strongly the trigger finger as the only real safety you can count on with her.

The Kel-Tec is of course no SIG, but they are usually quite reliable and accurate enough. Of course there is the cost thing too. :)

Good for your daughter in that she is carrying. It is what a responsible adult does, isn't it.

Cat
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

A miniature 1911 in .380 with an even smaller .25 auto:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I'm a huge Sig Fan. I carry a 227 in .45acp daily. With your choices, I would choose Sig
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

While certainly not what I'd call an "heirloom" category pistol, I've packed a PF9 as a "deep cover, summertime 9" for about 4 years.
It took a while before I trusted it, but I can't fault the little thing. Mine works great for such an inexpensive pistol. It runs 100%, clean or full of pocket lint, and shoots to POA at 10yrds. I've tried it with different ammo but always 115gr. I settled on Critical Defense.

While I'd hesitate to carry another one without extensive trial, my example has earned my trust.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I carry a Sig .380 in a Galco pocket holster, works great, even when wearing jeans it's easy to get out . Cant speak for other brands but sure am satisfied with it, have shot it quite a bit and has never stuttered.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Unless she's comfortable with "cocked and locked", and I'm not in a purse or pocket pistol, I'd vote for the Kel Tec of those two choices. Carrying the Sig with the hammer down and then cocking it under stress might be a bit much for her. You might look at the Ruger LC9 or LC9S. You can get both with a manual safety.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Kel tec got the Minnie 9 right with the PF. Easy to shoot and conceal. You can pay a lot more and get less gun. Like others, I started out with the Colt .45 ACP, but the Keltec is faster to get into action and pretty much foolproof. :idea:
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I picked up a new P-11 last month and have fired it about 500 times without any malfunctions. I can use me S&W 5900 magazines in it also which makes it more versatile for me.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

You're right about "uncomfortable" with the Ruger LCP, but it's definitely the smallest/lightest. I tape my trigger finger with a bandaid when I practice. If you need it, you won't care how bad it hurts.
(I think Sigs are over priced)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

my wife has no problem shooting her lady.concealed.pistol. ding ding ding ding ding ding ding, reload, repeat.

I think small hands are a benefit here, the gun has never bothered her hands. I think Blaine has large hands. I wonder if Ruger would consider a man.c.p with larger trigger aperture. could set off another gold rush to prescott.

she shot the ar pistol for the first time. ding ding ding ding ding ding ding, ding ding ding ding ding ding ding, ding ding ding ding ding ding ding, etc. but got tired of holding it up. it out-weighs the ruger by a couple orders of magnitude. it is a delight to shoot, for sure.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I have the 380 version of that little SIG (the 238) - it is a dandy carrying little pistol , and as accurate as some of my larger "service grade" firearms.

I'm no expert on available models but my grip panels are much slimmer than the one you have pictured , with no finger grooves --- Likely a set of wood, G-10, or aluminum panels would take care of the Sig's thickness issue
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:my wife has no problem shooting her lady.concealed.pistol. ding ding ding ding ding ding ding, reload, repeat.

I think small hands are a benefit here, the gun has never bothered her hands. I think Blaine has large hands. I wonder if Ruger would consider a man.c.p with larger trigger aperture. could set off another gold rush to prescott.

she shot the ar pistol for the first time. ding ding ding ding ding ding ding, ding ding ding ding ding ding ding, ding ding ding ding ding ding ding, etc. but got tired of holding it up. it out-weighs the ruger by a couple orders of magnitude. it is a delight to shoot, for sure.
Not really...Beefy, and muscular, but short fingers.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:You're right about "uncomfortable" with the Ruger LCP, but it's definitely the smallest/lightest. I tape my trigger finger with a bandaid when I practice. If you need it, you won't care how bad it hurts.
I'd rather shoot my Bisley gripped 44 Mag with hot loads than her LCP 380....with 'normal' grips on the 44 it would be a toss-up.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Have you seen the Browning 1911 in .380acp?

http://www.gunblast.com/Browning-1911-380.htm
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I think this might be just the ticket:

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2015/02/05/br ... -1911-380/
browning_blacklabel380_3108.jpg
I could really like this shooter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

rock-steady wrote:Have you seen the Browning 1911 in .380acp?

http://www.gunblast.com/Browning-1911-380.htm
The old Colt Series 80 Mustang/Government .380 was pretty much that already... but smaller
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Bigger and heavier than what you guys are talking about, but I have a Llama mini max that fills that niche for me.