Give me a break... A "Top Break", that is!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Give me a break... A "Top Break", that is!

Post by Old No7 »

Well, I did it again...

I found another l'il top-break revolver to add to my collection. I'd last posted about this one, An H&R Automatic in 32 Long, over 4 years ago. Since then, I've been a little more choosy with the condition of any top-breaks that I've encountered. For awhile, I didn't think I'd find one of this model, especially in the fine condition it's in, but I finally found one to add to my collection.

It's an H&R "Premier", 2nd Model Small Frame in 22 rimfire. It has a 3" tip-up barrel with the automatic ejector. And while my larger H&R Model 999 Sportsman is a 9-shot, this smaller one is actually a 7-shot, double-action too. The lockwork feels very crisp, and versus the 32 that I got years ago, this one has the locking cylinder stops. From my review of it, it's in 98% condition and is a 6th Variation, made between 1916 to 1924. The grips are in great shape, and the bore and chambers are pristine.

Best part is, I think it spent most of its long life locked away in a drawer!

Down below, I will post a picture of this one next to my other H&R top-breaks, so you can see how small this one really is... As this picture really doesn't show the scale all too well. It is not a "premier" in size or heft, but it sure is in condition and quality!
H&R Premier 22 01 (Medium).jpg
Here's the Premier "surrounded by" the 32 Long "Automatic" (auto-ejecting) on the left and a Model 999 Sportsman on the right... All blued steel, all H&R's, and all top-breaks -- and I am OK with that!
H&R Top-Breaks (Medium).jpg
And to give you an idea of the size range possible for top-break revolvers, here's a .38 cal Uberti Schofield versus the .22 cal H&R Premier... One would be better in a fight, but the other would be better off than nothing, and would more easily slip into a pocket!
Schofield vs Premier (Medium).jpg
Five years ago, in yet another posting about a top-break revolver that I'd gotten, I wrote these words...

It occurred to me this evening, that top-break revolvers could possibly be the “leverguns” of the handgun world for the following reasons:
* They are contemporary designs, appearing after the Civil War.
* They were typically chambered for low-powered handgun rounds (at the start, anyway).
* They have a unique action, bridging the gap between percussion rifles/revolvers and much more robust and powerful designs (bolt actions for rifle, large caliber DAs for handguns, and semi-autos for both).
* They both can be associated with the Old West, Cavalry and the Indian Wars.
* When bigger and/or more expensive actions & calibers came along, they both served the poorer members of the population very well for many decades.
* 100+ years later, they are still enjoyed by shooters like us who have discriminating taste, who recognize the virtues of a classic design, are great people to sit by the fire with, and are members of the best dang website on the net.
* Finally, they’re neat to collect and a hoot to shoot!

Well, maybe I missed a few, but that’s my story – and I’m sticking with it!

Oh, just thought of one more thing… Maybe the reason I’m into collecting inexpensive top-breaks right now is it costs much less than collecting vintage leverguns from the same period.

I guess that all still rings true for me today.

Tight groups!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Old No7 on Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Give me a break... A "Top Break", that is!

Post by ollogger »

Very nice looking bunch you have!!

Brad
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Those are in the best shape of any I have seen outside a museum, very well done.
It is not the critic who counts
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Old No7 wrote:
And while my larger H&R Model 999 Sportsman is a 6-shot, this smaller one is actually a 7-shot, double-action too.

:?: :?: :?: :?:

Nice collection, but the 999, I sold to another board member a few years ago, is/was a 9-shot.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Ooops.... :oops:
Last edited by Pete44ru on Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

1. It seems about the size of a Ruger Bearcat.

2. Where did you get the history info to determine variation and year; that sounds interesting.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

Very nice collection. I also enjoy breaktops and currently have 4. The .32 S&W Hopkins & Allen & Iver Johnson are black powder only. The newer .32 S&W Iver Johnson I have is smokeless as is the .38 S&W H&R concealed hammer I also own. All of them function well except the Hopkins & Allen is a bit loose on cylinder lockup but not enough so it spits lead. As I reload the black powder cartridge is the the easiest of all to reload, just don't leave an air space between the bullet and the powder, the same rule that applies to all black powder muzzle loading guns and cap & ball revolvers.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Very nice :mrgreen:
I've been looking for a similar top break in .320 British. Over here where handguns are banned, we can still buy firearms without a license if they are in an obsolete caliber. :roll: I have a tip up Marlin .32 rimfire revolver but have always liked small American top breaks.
Old black & white British movies seem to feature small top break revolvers (probably the same one) in a lot of scenes.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Pete44ru wrote:
Old No7 wrote: And while my larger H&R Model 999 Sportsman is a 6-shot, this smaller one is actually a 7-shot, double-action too.
:?: :?: :?: :?:
Nice collection, but the 999, I sold to another board member a few years ago, is/was a 9-shot.
Pete is quite right... Guess I'll blame my typo on a brain fanny burp... :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Very cool little gun! :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

If I had the time and $$$ to cosplay CAS/SASS, I have a character rolled up that our Brit Cousins should love...

An ExPat Brit that carries a period Contential Drilling and Webly in the 1880s ish Western Territories...

It would be a fun character...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

another fan. My uncle had a 999 and it was a hoot. It was the first handgun I ever fired.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have an S&W top break that I shoot in the belly gun side matches that is 38 S&W which I reload with fffg. It's a hoot to shoot and even to carry sometimes. Sure would beat nothing.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Old No7,

You have some nice guns, there. I like the top break guns, too. Here is my 100-year-old Premier 7-shot, in .22LR:

Looking quite beefy:

...but more petite, in these:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

back in the day .....

when a young teen with a paper route could mail order a pistol from a published ad,

I bought a variation of this one:
Webley-2.jpg
I recall shooting it and wondering at the inability of crack-shot-with-rifle to be able to do the ordinary common garden variety close formation of flying projectile thing with it.

My Dad was certain the break action was the culprit and that no one could hit anything with it.

Wish I could test that theory now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very, very nice!!! 8)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have a couple of H&Rs and a couple of S&W in top breaks. At any given time, I MIGHT have one that's operational! My favorite is a nickeled "Lemon-Squeezer" in .32 Short... but alas, it needs some "V" spring that I have no idea about the size that should be there... And don't know of a good mechanic for these things.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

I love the H&R top breaks....still looking for a Model 999 with the 4" barrel.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Mossyoak, I saw a 999 4" in a local pawn shop a few months ago, seems like they had about $380 on it. Don't see many around here.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

JerryB wrote:Mossyoak, I saw a 999 4" in a local pawn shop a few months ago, seems like they had about $380 on it. Don't see many around here.
if they still have it let me know...,,
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

AJMD429 wrote:2. Where did you get the history info to determine variation and year; that sounds interesting.
From the seller; he did all the research for me. :wink:

There is an "H&R Handguns" page on Graybeard Outdoors, and there are some links there with good info on the old H&Rs.

Old No7
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Mossyoak1957 wrote:I love the H&R top breaks....still looking for a Model 999 with the 4" barrel.
JerryB wrote:Mossyoak, I saw a 999 4" in a local pawn shop a few months ago, seems like they had about $380 on it. Don't see many around here.
That's one of the more collectible (and easy-carrying) variations of the 999 you can get... In my experience, if it's in very good condition, it's going for at least $100 (or more) less than it's "worth" (to someone who really wants a good one).

Here's a link to one that is on Gunbroker now -- and they only want $650.00 to start the bidding! :o (That was a $125 buy 30 years ago...)
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =489403046

Tight groups.

Old No7
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

An Uncle had a top break H&R 9 shot .22lr, and the sights were way off. He shot by point and shoot method and could hit tin cans with it. He would bounce the tin can out further with each shot. It was accurate, but the sights were not. Somehow, I think that is a situation that could be remedied by a good gunsmith, or maybe even by a careful man with some knowledge. My Uncle had replaced the mainspring in it with one sized for a .38 caliber top break after the original spring broke. He used a file and some sharpening stones to fit the spring to the gun. He was trained by his Father, my Grandfather who died before I was born, to be a blacksmith. I understand that doesn't make him a gunsmith, but it taught him how to work with metal and get it to do what he wanted. That gun had a smooth trigger pull and a crisp letoff. I didn't realize it way back then, but I have shot a bunch more pistols since then, and have some experience now to compare it with. If a 4 year old can keep all 9 shots in a group that he can cover with his palm at about 15 yards, it is probably a good trigger. I was 4 the last time I remember shooting it, and my group was way low and about a foot left of the aiming point. I couldn't cock it, but that was probably due to the stronger spring. I wish I could have obtained that gun when he passed on. I hope whoever it was who inherited it is still enjoying it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost