Moving (or turning) houses...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Moving (or turning) houses...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hairtrigger's post . . .
Hairtrigger wrote:The best money I have spent on my house was picking it up and putting a 9 foot deep basement underneath of it
. . . reminded me how often I'll hear that someone in a rural area moved their house to another part of their property, or raised and reset it just to turn it 90 degrees or so.

1. Houses must have been sturdier in those days - I'd think moving most of them now would destroy them.

2. Labor must have been cheaper in those days - it would cost a fortune to hire a few dozen union guys to spend that much time.

3. Folks must have been pretty picky about stuff like which way the kitchen window faced, but then we sit inside and watch television now.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Moving (or turning) houses...

Post by yooper2 »

It's also a lot easier to turn a house when you don't have any utilities to re-route.

Eric
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

My nephew moved houses till yesterday, and got laidoff
Luckily got a carpenter job lined up starting Monday
TDF
Levergunner

Post by TDF »

There's a company near the town I went to High School in that moves houses as a business, they've moved some really neat pieces and numerous barns, along with any other type of building you can think of. We've gone down numerous times to watch them move one. It's something to see. They don't even have you take the dishes out of the cupboards as they're that smooth with it as they move it. Have some really cool pieces of equipment. They even have a WWII tank transport truck that they up until a few years ago were still using when they'd get into something really big that needed moved. It tops out at something like 23mph if I remember the story correctly.

It's fun to watch.

TDF
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Years ago there was a lot of house moving going on around here because they were building a lot of new roads and such. Back then you could buy a house for as little as $3-4000. Then pay $8-10,000 to have it moved.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

yooper2 wrote:It's also a lot easier to turn a house when you don't have any utilities to re-route.

Eric
This.

But yah, frame Construction has gone from Nominal Lumber, sometimes hardwood, frequently Joined rather than nailed/bolted and then covered in Lath and Plaster, to "dimensional" "light stud framing" covered with frangible dry-wall.

Heck, even Joined Balloon Framing is more sturdy than nailed studs & drywall...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Back in school the people across the street had a basement installed. The oil burner was in a small crawl spam and needed replacement. But there was seemingly no way to get the old one out or a new one in. So they had a basement installed. They dug under the house with a small bulldozer. I can clearly remember being in the house playing a board game while the whole house shook, the game pieces vibrating across the board. It was rather worrisome. :D
Slow is just slow.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Best one I've seen moved was a Victorian type. Two story and tall attic. Now you'd think a small move would be no great shakes for the folks that do it. And, you'd probably be right.

However, and you need to know a little SoCal geography to understand, but it was moved from Pasadena (home of the Rose parade and bowl) down to the port. Now getting it to town took days, and a very circuitous route (freeways, utilities and hills). But that wasn't the best part. The wanted it on top of a hill overlooking the harbor. Well, the did it, and if you watched the move of the Space Shuttle Endeavor you'd think that was a big deal. Heck, it was mostly flat and all the powers that be helped to get it done.

The folks that move this house are truly miracle workers.

I really should take some photos of this house. The owners completely restored it, then added a garage/mother-in-law behind it that matches the style perfectly.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

There is a house a few miles down the road from me that many of you might be familiar with, according to the new owner, it was formerly known as the Cheyenne Social Club.

It has been several years now, but back in about 2003, the property owner had an old house moved on to his property. I seen it when they hauled it in, I think they hauled it in 3 sections. The house did look simular to the one in Cheyenne Social Club, but I am no expert on that. I do know that the house was moved from Wyoming to Kansas. Since that time he has spent alot of money on the remodel and has even bricked the entire outside of the house.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

When sugar plantation camps came to an end just prior to WWII many of the plantation homes were either sold at a nominal fee or even given away with the stipulation that the homes be moved within a time table. This was back when land was relatively cheap so people would buy cheap land and move a cheap ex-plantation home onto it the biggest expense being the moving of the home which they usually did at night. Another source of cheap housing especially after WWII was Army Barracks. My father-in-law back in the early 50s had a Army Barracks building moved to a property he purchased cheap, and many extended family members were raised in it. I remember visiting the old house, and it had a long central hallway running the length of the building with rooms evenly spaced on each side going down the hall. There are still a few of these type structures still remaining though time and termites have taken their tole.

When I lived in Idaho one of my friends lived in an old school house which he purchased and had it moved to his acreage, that house had so much character.

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Something similar to the plantation houses happened in SoCal. It was already pretty built up when the freeways were being built. In some cases whole neighborhoods were taken over via imminent domain rules. At some point someone figured out the houses could be moved rather than torn down.

One area alongside a freeway that was taken was never built on. Quite a few folks figured it was really a land grab by the contractor. The homes sat vacant for years as the lawyers did their thing. Eventually, many, many years latter it got to a point where the houses themselves were sold.

A fellow around the corner had a vacant lot and moved a modest two bedroom one bath onto the lot. He fixed it up and lived there till he passed.

The new owner "remodeled" it into a 5 bedroom, 3.5 bath, two car attached garage house. The old garage was "remodeled" into one heck of a nice work space for his vintage cars.

Now you'd think that folks would learn from all the trials (literally) and tribulations and not try that sort of land grab again. Heck no! My cousin lived on a hill overlooking the harbor, nice view, nice breezes. The city decided to level the hill and use the space for a local shipyards parking lot.

Shipyard went out of business, hill remained and suddenly a developer was applying for permits. In many ways this is still a small town. That didn't fly, to the point that the developer decided his well being was more important than profit.

So today their is one house left on the hill. These folks refused to give up the fight and outlasted them all. The rest of the hill is little league field. Folks like my cousin are still in legal pursuit of getting their land returned. They'll likely win eventually, but it will be their heirs that get the land back.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

Up in Saskatchewan where my sister has lived for over the last thirty five years, there is an inland lake that everyone calls the seashore. The cabins as they called are mostly abandoned farmhouses that they moved there. Instead of one farmhouse for every 640 acres like 60-70 years ago it is one house to 3-5,000 acres.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

When I was a kid in the 40`s there was a neighbor farmer that liked to drink and B.S. I remember him but my dad told me this story about him. He was in a bar and got talking to a guy that said he was in the house and barn moving business. Old Phil evidently was drunk and he thought he had said something about, I got a barn I am thinking about moving. Evidently he must have got in it deeper than he thought as a few days later a bunch of equipment and crew come to move his barn! He was a B.S.er and didn't have money etc.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Gaucho Gringo wrote:Up in Saskatchewan where my sister has lived for over the last thirty five years, there is an inland lake that everyone calls the seashore. The cabins as they called are mostly abandoned farmhouses that they moved there. Instead of one farmhouse for every 640 acres like 60-70 years ago it is one house to 3-5,000 acres.
Some of my relatives had moved from Kansas to Sask. for some of those original 160 acre "homesteads" . from what I have of family history written by my cousin . " A homestead was a gov't lease of 160 acres. Applicant paid a 10 $ lease. If they lived there 6 months / year , for two years , built a home and broke 30 acres ( to farm ) he received the title for the land. This was 1906 - 09 . Those 3 old sod houses they built are under some man made lake just SW of Elbow now. Weather , money , the will and ability to suffer the tough times , ran a lot of folks out . Times were tough for several decades. A pair of brothers and their families were able to stick it out and bought any land nearby they could afford.
Phil